• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Winter 2017 Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
So, why are the last episodes of Gundam an dragon maid not counted in the final results.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
^ Poor timing
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't blame people for voting IBO down like that since that episode pretty much killed two characters, one for reason we can understand why and the other that just didn't need to happen and was only there for shock value.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
I guess the straight lines for both Rakugo and Hand Shakers on both charts is a first for this. Probably won't see that again for awhile.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I honestly don't blame people for voting IBO down like that since that episode pretty much killed two characters, one for reason we can understand why and the other that just didn't need to happen and was only there for shock value.
I haven't seen season 2 yet, as I'm waiting on the dub. But I have been checking the scores, and the last episode had an A+ and the user rating was very high 4.4.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
dark13 wrote:
I haven't seen season 2 yet, as I'm waiting on the dub. But I have been checking the scores, and the last episode had an A+ and the user rating was very high 4.4.

The reason why the episode had such a high rating yet there are plenty of people criticizing it (going to be very vague): For people who expect "fair endings" or good pay-offs for the characters you stick to for the whole season, they feel robbed. They wanted "justice" for those who wronged others or who used underhanded tactics.
For people (like me) who saw the protagonists as no better than many of their foes (not in the strict "good character" sense, but in their morality and problems as human beings), and who saw that the show's outcome would not be about what's "fair" but what simply often happens in reality, the way things ended with those who did or didn't survive was absolutely fit for the show's general tone and message. I was quite pleased with the final episode, and from the review it's clear Lauren was likewise able to frame that loss into the whole theme of the show and thus was clearly satisfied.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1