• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'your name.' Anime Film Earns US$1.6 Million in 1st Weekend

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick4x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Would have been nice to have it in theaters where I'm at, but I guess I'll just have to wait for a DVD release... or something.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
^ I kinda feel ya, Nick4x. They aired it once (only showing) near me...but it was dubbed and thanks to the "watashi/atashi/boku" stuff, I only want to watch in Japanese so it's basically "not showing" near me as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, I'm kinda mad at Funimation for not just releasing it on DVD/bluray already. They translated it around a year ago. They had it Anime Expo. There's no reason for it to be not be on bluray/DVD already except to milk that theatre money. They could've done both theatre showing and released it on bluray/dvd and to give people a choice instead of forcing us people living in areas with extremely limited (or no) showings to wait well over a year after AX premiere to watch this.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Still feel FUNimation really should have tried releasing this in January or February (AKA, the Dump Months) when theaters are more desperate for business, and tried for a wider release with more marketing (freaking SAO got a wider release, the release is so small it doesn't qualify as a wide release per BOM (600 theaters is what BOM considers "wide")). The tactic is open limited in December to qualify for the Oscars, and open wide in January to take advantage of the buzz, not open in April. It could have done much better. Hoping they play it for more than one week and expand it a little, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Kougeru wrote:
Furthermore, I'm kinda mad at Funimation for not just releasing it on DVD/bluray already. They translated it around a year ago. They had it Anime Expo. There's no reason for it to be not be on bluray/DVD already except to milk that theatre money. They could've done both theatre showing and released it on bluray/dvd and to give people a choice instead of forcing us people living in areas with extremely limited (or no) showings to wait well over a year after AX premiere to watch this.
FUNimation can't release it on Blu-ray or DVD yet because it's not out on Blu-ray or DVD in Japan or anywhere in the world yet. Your Name. is still playing in Japanese theaters and still making money, so it's going to be a while.
http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/3478-japan-wknd-actuals-your-name-claims-fourth-weekend-record-breaking-harry-potter-and-the-sorcerers-stones-15-year-record/?do=findComment&comment=2933317

And milk theater money? This isn't super profitable for them (remember, box office grosses are not profits, studios get about half (in China, you get only 1/4 of what a movie makes there unless it's a Chinese co-production)). Who knows if this will even play for more than a week or so (it might stay for 2 full weeks, as that's something theaters have to abide by, regardless of how bad a movie may do, though this applies to the bigger studio releases normally).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
endlessdelight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Based on how Girls und Panzer went, it'll be a while for that dvd....

I was lucky and got to see the first subtitled version in my area (actually I took off work for this) but there were still many funimation typos-- but infinitely better than a dub. Funimation did try a bit harder to advertise this when compared with the Ghost in the Shell "the new movie" which i didn't know about until I happened to go to a theatre in a neighboring state....
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
*Sigh* So many sub elitists....
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
*Sigh* So many sub elitists....

I'll see an anime movie or two in Japan when I'm visiting, even though there are no subs and my understanding of the language is very limited. (So far: Evangelion 3.33, Kaguya Hime Monogatari, Kaze Tachinu, Hikawa Maru Monogatari, Kimi no na wa, In This Corner of the World, Sword Art Online Ordinal Scale).
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
Soooo... I'll just play the more upbeat voice of the thread and say, jesus, that's a lot of money earned! I mean, it's one thing to gross so much in eastern Asian countries but this is impressive,
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
^ Much appreciated, Hypeathon. Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
And me, most of the nearest theaters to me are showing it subbed and I want to see it dubbed. I wasn't able to make it this Sunday, and I work normal office hours, so seeing it dubbed is no longer feasible as the closest one is about 30 miles away, not doable under evening traffic. So I'll have to go see it subbed if I see it at all.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Furthermore, I'm kinda mad at Funimation for not just releasing it on DVD/bluray already. They translated it around a year ago. They had it Anime Expo. There's no reason for it to be not be on bluray/DVD already except to milk that theatre money.

Like how others said already, they won't be able to release it until sometime after the Japanese disc release happens. Considering when the Japanese disc release is happening (I recall hearing somewhere that it's going to be around October or something), we shouldn't expect a North American physical release until early next year at best because I'm pretty sure Funi never wants to repeat their Kadokawa debacle ever again.

Kougeru wrote:
They could've done both theatre showing and released it on bluray/dvd and to give people a choice instead of forcing us people living in areas with extremely limited (or no) showings to wait well over a year after AX premiere to watch this.

The AX premiere was the WORLD premiere of the movie. That screening was almost 2 whole months ahead of its theatrical release in Japan. Okay, while I don't see why we couldn't have gotten a theatrical screening sooner (I wonder what the circumstances for that are), a simultaneous release just wouldn't make sense for such a movie on top of the above problem. The Killing Joke is the only notable simultaneous release movie and that was supposed to be direct to DVD only.

But yeah, I really loved the movie. Already confident enough to say it's my movie of the year (just like Mad Max for 2015) and I'll be watching it again today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Digimonlover101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote
I hope this means they will try to show it in more theaters. I really want to see the English dub.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
Very impressed that Your Name is generating such a huge profit over its Friday-Sunday debut! Smile For anime films, this is a huge feat!
Loveless100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Took time to see both the sub/dub over the weekend. Also this was my 3rd and 4th time seeing the movie (saw it in Japan/on a plane; yeah sounds pompous...sorry)

The dub wasn't too bad. Yes there's a lot of Japanese language aspects (watashi/boku/ore, the whole concept of tasogare) that was hard to translate into English, but in general I think they did as well as they could. The translated songs were AWESOME, I think RADWIMPS did a wonderful job and kudos to them for putting the extra effort out for dual language.

The only feedback I have for the Funimation crew for the physical release is that they need to translate the full journal text. Limiting the translation to "Thanks to my womanly charms" really takes away from Mitsuha's time as Taki and is (in my opinion) lazy translation. The plane subtitles translated it, why can't the official release?"
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
Can someone point out what scene this boku/watashi thing was such an issue? I can't recall anything standing out during my screening so I question how serious a problem it really was.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
^ purely guessing here, but there is one scene at the school rooftop spoiler[ when they switch places, the girl is in the guy's body speaking to his two male friends and he says 'watashi' which i guess is the female tone instead of saying boku. It's just a small section where the male friends look suspicious and it's kind of a cute funny/scene. Big deal? Maybe not. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3