• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Announces Fate/Apocrypha for Netflix Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes but more importantly than things we already knew where's the article for Fate/Grand Order heading to America this summer?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, so is that mean I have to wait at least a season before they release them in a batch?

Of course, if the show is two-cour, we might have to wait longer. That's life, I guess
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Oh well, so is that mean I have to wait at least a season before they release them in a batch?

Of course, if the show is two-cour, we might have to wait longer. That's life, I guess

even if it's two cour, netflix will release them in season batches. For example, Kuromakuro was 26 (24? can't remember) episodes, but they released the first half for streaming a couple weeks after that "season" ended, then the second half likewise.

On topic, I was really hoping they would give some insight on if they still held distribution rights for SaeKano 2, with the whole Amazon thing. and I would've liked them to license Re:creators as well.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
even if it's two cour, netflix will release them in season batches. For example, Kuromakuro was 26 (24? can't remember) episodes, but they released the first half for streaming a couple weeks after that "season" ended, then the second half likewise.

Not necessarily, the second cour of Little Witch Academia has already broadcaster two episodes and we have yet to see the first cour on Netflix.

I do hope Netflix gets a hint that binging complete cours/seasons is cool for old or unreleased material, but totally wrong when it is being broadcasting weekly on TV.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yep netflix means no simulcast. Doesn't really matter tho, just means you get to go back to good ol piracy because Netflix's way of doing things is crap compared to every other anime streaming service.

Fate is popular enough someone should end up subbing it, I know the advent of simulcasting did kill most fansub groups and now some non-simulcast shows slip through the cracks but that shouldn't be a problem here. Still, just I always get that tinge of disappointment and annoyance when a show I'm looking forward to is announced for flix.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, right. Like I'm going to wait till the end of a season to watch this. Good old 7 seas for me, thank you very much. Netflix can take its method as choke on it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Ya'll need to get with me and yell at Netflix about this. Tell them to get with the picture and do weekly streams like they do in Japan. Like CR does. Like Funimation does. Like Sentai, TAN, and even Amazon does.
GeorgH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Not necessarily, the second cour of Little Witch Academia has already broadcaster two episodes and we have yet to see the first cour on Netflix.

There are reports that Little Witch Academia is getting several Dubs - not only English. This may cause further delays than usual, as Netflix may wait until all of these are completed for the first batch.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
SO based on the correction we have no clue if it is leaving japan or not, sad.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Wait...

So if it's only licensed for Netflix in Japan and Aniplex hasn't licensed it yet... Then that means it might still be picked up by a weekly streamer!

THERE'S STILL HOPE!!!
chronos02

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Wait...

So if it's only licensed for Netflix in Japan and Aniplex hasn't licensed it yet... Then that means it might still be picked up by a weekly streamer!

THERE'S STILL HOPE!!!

Hope? In the Fate franchise? Really? What universe are you from??? You should probably go see a doctor, there's something wrong with your hope meter.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
GeorgH wrote:
There are reports that Little Witch Academia is getting several Dubs - not only English. This may cause further delays than usual, as Netflix may wait until all of these are completed for the first batch.

Kuromukuro also was dubbed into different languages, so it is not a case of "it is our first time so we are learning". IMO they received complaints from people used to binging complete series so they have decided against releasing a series before the end of the season.

FilthyCasual wrote:

THERE'S STILL HOPE!!!

This only means Aniplex is asking for an arm and a leg for the worldwide license and Netflix is still negotiating. SInce Netflix has Fate Zero and UBW in their catalog they only one that might outbid them is Hulu. So hope will remain inside the box.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
SInce Netflix has Fate Zero and UBW in their catalog they only one that might outbid them is Hulu. So hope will remain inside the box.

I dunno, Amazon might dig into their deep pockets for it too. They made a pretty big push this season to grab some highly anticipated series to push Anime Strike. They're going to have to keep that up.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I dunno, Amazon might dig into their deep pockets for it too. They made a pretty big push this season to grab some highly anticipated series to push Anime Strike. They're going to have to keep that up.

A three way bid (Netflix, Amazon and Hulu) would be Aniplex wet dream, you have three companies with deep pockets. Of course that would turn into something bigger "OK, since we are paying so much we want a license on ALL anime on the Fate franchise, nay, on the whole Type Moon franchise for the next five years, bring them to the table on the double".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
Amazon's revenue is more $125 billion than NF and Hulu's combined $9.83 billion revenue. Yet all 3 of these companies lack the appreciation for anime fans that CR does. That's why I would pick CR to stream it (were I head of Aniplex). However, Amazon has the deep pockets for wider distribution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1