• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody Novel 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
An adult being reborn in another world as a younger kid is pretty common, but I don't keep up with what gets released in English so maybe none of them have been brought over.

Knights and Magic, which is getting an anime soon, has the same deal.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the web novel of this and the manga. So I'm pretty excited to see where the story goes and how it differs.

Some people go in expecting the wrong thing though and it leaves them disappointed, So I just want to point out that this is an isekai-slice of life-adventure story, not an isekai-action-adventure story like shield-bro(there is plenty action but that's not the main focus).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
I agree that having an older protagonist does give the story some good flavour, like with Tate no Yūsha no Nariagari that was mentioned in the review. In the manga adaptation, while the art is nice and the scenes - both the action ones and the calmer, SoL ones - are a pleasant read, the run-of-the-mill info-dump exposition given at almost every new local/start of story arcs bogs down the narrative quite a bit.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
The reviews ounds much better than my impression with the manga, and that's a thing with the genre, the mangas are very hit and miss and sometimes not very representative of their novels.

Vaisaga wrote:
An adult being reborn in another world as a younger kid is pretty common, but I don't keep up with what gets released in English so maybe none of them have been brought over.

Knights and Magic, which is getting an anime soon, has the same deal.

yup, and that one actually has the adult using his real world skills in the fantasy world, which is one of the things certain representants of the genre have done to keep things fresh.

the one that stands out to me the most atm is the one where the point of view character /mc is a native of the isekai that keeps on killing the summoned heroes.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Faraway Paladin is the only one where the MC is literally reborn as a kid so far. Overlord and Log Horizon have been translated, which both feature the adult characters but not the kid aspect. Then there's Shield Hero and Realist Hero which feature college students in the main roles.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
This has to be the most positive review of the series I've seen I started collecting the series because it got such negative opinions from people.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

There have been two additional manga as well, but not their LN sources - Jobless Reincarnation and (at a bit of a stretch) RE: Monster. But like Utsuro no Hako said, only one other LN using the trope thus far.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I can't say about others, but one of the biggest thing that turned me away from this novel is not writing(which is actually okay for a iseikai slice-of-life, I can dig it), but the constant game window pop-up, something like "XXXXX achieved", "XXXXXX acquired" for every single behavior that our hero acted. It gets downright annoying for me.

Granted, I am not a gamer, but those sorts of things really ruined my reading experience. Would I recommend this to someone else? Sure, just not everyone, gotta make sure the ones I am recommending to is used to all the RPG references.

Wonder how the anime adaptation would fare.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
^The Rising of the Shield Hero does this as well, so it's become a bit of a genre trope. It is annoying if you aren't used to it; I often just sort skim over them if I'm not reading to review.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
^The Rising of the Shield Hero does this as well, so it's become a bit of a genre trope. It is annoying if you aren't used to it; I often just sort skim over them if I'm not reading to review.

The recently-licensed "Tensei Shittara Slime Datta Ken" and "Kumo desuga, nani ka?" novels' manga adaptations also make prolific use of this trope, so I'm assuming the LNs do as well. However, Slime's "system message" is a sort of character that he talks to, and Kumo's is mined as much for gags as it is to be informative, so hopefully these variations on the theme make it more bearable.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I don't mind it, from what little I've skimmed of the Light Novel it just sounds like the voice over in Altered Beast in my head that or the sound effect in Zelda whenever Link acquires an item after opening a treasure chest.

Also someone who played a lot NES RPGs in his younger years the pop screen skill acquired trope doesn't really bother me.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I am wondering if light novel transations have become so good since you choose to complain about that; I remember not even being able to know who is talking , speech manerism being all over the place (for the same character) and verbose-confusing explanations that totally killed the flow of text being on the top just a few months ago.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

In the latest translated volume, there's a point where Naofumi realizes that most of the shields he's unlocked suck and he never uses them.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I almost bought this LN last Friday. I had it in my hand while I was browsing the section in the store...until I came across Kizumonogatari. Maybe next time!
CaRoss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Death March is one of my favourite of the "Isekai" titles - probably only sitting behind Re:Zero and KonoSuba. I quite enjoy the Slice of Life nature of the story, and how cynical/sarcastic Satou can be.

That said, I also agree wholeheartedly with many of the criticisms offered both in the review and the comments. While the series does do some things differently than others, it also doesn't diverge far from the tropes that permeate the sub-genre.

The skills popping up constantly can also be kind of distracting, when you'd rather just continue to explore the world that they're throwing you into.

Overall though, this is one that I quite enjoy and agree that there's a lot of potential for the series as it progresses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2