• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation: Other Black Butler Anime to Remain Available

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
Oh good!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
That is how it worked with FMA and Brotherhood when Aniplex opted not to renew. Different seasons and movies are licensed separately, so each will have its own expiration date.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
To me this says that ultimately Funimation is opting to not renew these properties because the cost of renewing is not worth it if they cannot longer make that much money of them. But he fact that Funimation acquired Book of Atlantic suggests that Aniplex is still willing to license old properties with sequels to other companies.

This appears contradictory, but I will not be surprised if Funimation does not make much money of Black Butler S1 any longer, but Book of Circus was more profitable for them. And because of that they are investing on the license for Book of Atlantic.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
To me this says that ultimately Funimation is opting to not renew these properties because the cost of renewing is not worth it if they cannot longer make that much money of them. But he fact that Funimation acquired Book of Atlantic suggests that Aniplex is still willing to license old properties with sequels to other companies.

This appears contradictory, but I will not be surprised if Funimation does not make much money of Black Butler S1 any longer, but Book of Circus was more profitable for them. And because of that they are investing on the license for Book of Atlantic.

Or maybe it could be as simple as aniplex wants to keep the same english voice actors for the newer releases but wouldnt be able to if they didn't continue giving the newsr licenses to funimation. They are slowly taking away the old licenses back which already have dubs which they can retain the rights to despite it not being with funimation anymore. Makes nore sense to me than thibking Funimation just didn't want to renew the license.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Or maybe it could be as simple as aniplex wants to keep the same english voice actors for the newer releases but wouldnt be able to if they didn't continue giving the newsr licenses to funimation.

The Fate franchise is a proof of that...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's far more likely that Aniplex is just refusing the possibility of renewal. There's no way in hell that FUNi would voluntarily decide not to retain a cash cow like FMA.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Quote:

Or maybe it could be as simple as aniplex wants to keep the same english voice actors for the newer releases but wouldnt be able to if they didn't continue giving the newsr licenses to funimation.

The Fate franchise is a proof of that...

I think that's a little too simplistic in this case. While Funimation hasn't produced any dubs for other companies, Sentai's studio has, and Aniplex could have utilized them to get the most of the cast back together, as they are both Texas based and only a few hours apart. Not to mention, as Fate has shown, Aniplex doesn't have any big issues with changing some cast members or roles, so they probably wouldn't mind recasting one or two characters. They could also use Okatron, who could get most of the actors back as well.

I'm guessing there is some other issue at play here. Perhaps Funi had a clause in their agreement that guaranteed first shot at any follow up projects. While not as common these days, they do occasionally pop up in contracts. And it would explain why Funi can get the new projects, but couldn't renew the original. It's unlikely we will ever know though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1