• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax Ordered to Pay Studio Khara 100 Million Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
So that's why Gainax started growing tomatoes.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
What an end, Gainax! The strangest thing about it all is that all these guys, the ones who came out, and the ones that stayed are friends and old acquaintances, as well as founders of the studio.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
Sometimes the worst of disagreements are between friends. Hopefully this will pass.

Mark Gosdin
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
LOLOL People can forget about a panty and stocking new anime LOL I can believe people were trying to tell me that was a thing. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
What an end, Gainax!

"Not with a bang but a whimper."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
LOLOL People can forget about a panty and stocking new anime LOL I can believe people were trying to tell me that was a thing. Laughing

If Gainax files for bankruptcy, the IP's will be up for auction. That's where someone sweeps in.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
First of all, Gunbuster has the best ending ever.
EVER.

Also, I miss old Gainax.
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Note to editor: Once the court reaches judgement, you can drop the "allegedly" disclaimer in the subtitle. Gainax might not have the funds to pay, but there's no doubt it owes the money.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
dark13 wrote:

If Gainax files for bankruptcy, the IP's will be up for auction. That's where someone sweeps in.
Like Trigger.
Gokario

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
dark13 wrote:

Like Trigger.

Trigger will probably get the rights to both Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. I can see Khara getting the rights to both Gunbuster and Diebuster, since the first one was directed by Anno. Alternatively, Diebuster gets taken by Trigger since most of its staff would go on to be in Trigger. Last I checked, Khara and Trigger are on really good terms anyway.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Gokario wrote:
Trigger will probably get the rights to both Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

If Gainax actually files for bankruptcy, then depending on the circumstances, it might not be able to have any control over what company ends up with its auctioned licenses. If, for example, Toei decides that they really want Gurren Lagann, then there's not much Trigger could do about it. They've got money, but not Precure money.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
It seems that the end of Gainax is drawing near...
That tomato farm of theirs can bring only so much money...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Gokario wrote:
Trigger will probably get the rights to both Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. I can see Khara getting the rights to both Gunbuster and Diebuster, since the first one was directed by Anno. Alternatively, Diebuster gets taken by Trigger since most of its staff would go on to be in Trigger. Last I checked, Khara and Trigger are on really good terms anyway.

Am I the only one that after reading this remembered the end of this season Attack on Titan where all titans are having a snack out of a bigger titan? Because as someone else said, Toei, Netflix and who knows what other titans are going to get into the fray to get a juicy piece of Gainax as soon as the auction bell rings.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If Gainax actually files for bankruptcy, then depending on the circumstances, it might not be able to have any control over what company ends up with its auctioned licenses. If, for example, Toei decides that they really want Gurren Lagann, then there's not much Trigger could do about it. They've got money, but not Precure money.

If Gainax goes under, with Khara listed as a creditor, the IP's would end up there. From there it's an easy transfer to Trigger.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

If Gainax goes under, with Khara listed as a creditor, the IP's would end up there. From there it's an easy transfer to Trigger.

That will ultimately depend on their assets and their value, as well the amount of the debt. They can petition to the court to take over the assets in lieu of payment, but that ultimately has to be approved by a court.

Also, filing for bankruptcy is no guarantee that properties will be auctioned off. Even in Japan, corporations can restructure and retain much of their assets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2