• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knight's & Magic (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote

Knight's & Magic (TV)

Genres: fantasy, mecha
Themes:

Plot Summary: A Japanese mecha otaku dies in a car accident and his soul is reincarnated into another world as Ernesti Echevarria. Eru inherits memories and interests from his previous life, and aims to be a pilot of a Silhouette Knight, a large humanoid weapon that really exists in his world.
----------------------------------

Light novel adaptation coming for Summer 2017.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode. The main character reminds me a bit of the MC from GATE, total otaku in his element.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was enjoyable. I kinda like the main character. His enthusiasm is fun to watch. The opening seems pretty good too. The rather large gap between the mecha and the carriages did stand out a bit. They have the technology to make those magic powered mecha but still use horse-drawn carriages for normal traveling.

Last edited by Cam0 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

In general this looks good, and I kind of like how this is kind of going with the magitek, especially how in the main character seems to in the forefront of advancing the technology in that way. But so far there feels like there is this problem in marrying all of its parts together. Kind of like a problem with tone, how it can be really childish one moment, and then more adult the next. But not in the sense of a purposeful sense of whiplash in taking you by surprise, but a number of characters feel like incredibly shallow made clichés you would find in a childish show, and then the next it wants to play big boy.

How his reincarnation thing worked does not even feel properly explained, like was he reborn as a child, learn the language there despite keeping his Earth memories, and only then see that there are giant robots? There was more that could have been done to explain what his thought process was like rather than rushing in all of these story ideas, which I think it did because it wants to get him into a giant robot. I actually think some patience could have been good, like an episode for learning before school, and then another for in school up to now, and how he was making upgrades to the general thinking. They said magic is like programing, but the scene kind of making that comparison went in a flash that it was hard to really properly draw an understanding.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
It is a strange feeling when a show is trying so hard to have a reason for "reincarnated in another world" scenario.
The most recent examples took opposite extremes, Konosuba made a parody of the concept where Re:Zero hinted that the leads "special" reason for continual incarnation is as difficult as a curse.

It does make sense that a "noble son" would more likely look at commoners with disdain, so a forced reason for why the lead treats them like equals make sense along with his ability to craft a magical rod in the shape of a gun which likely the society didn't think of as simply being able to yield magic was "good nuff".

That said, it was a decent opening episode that had me intrigued but I certainly won't be expecting at least within the first season an answer to why it was so convenient that an otaku programmer got to reincarnate in "just the right situation".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
It is a strange feeling when a show is trying so hard to have a reason for "reincarnated in another world" scenario.
The most recent examples took opposite extremes, Konosuba made a parody of the concept where Re:Zero hinted that the leads "special" reason for continual incarnation is as difficult as a curse.

Even more recent would be Tanya the Evil, which did at least feel it was more clearer with how exactly the hero was effected.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Mecha vs fantasy monsters. Love it. Really like the animation and art. Characters are good so far, too. I went into this title a little dubious, but the first eppie won me over.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I've read what has been published for Knights and Magic. I was shocked how quickly they just skipped/breezed through most of the published stuff in nearly ONE episode.

I love the manga, this anime-version has a lot potential. I'm curious if there going make their own story given how fast things are moving. I didn't care how quickly they went in the first episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, the pacing is so fast in this show. It felt like I watched two episodes...

Hope they slow down the story a bit. I'm going have to have to get used to Eru's character a bit as he looks like a girl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

In general this looks good, and I kind of like how this is kind of going with the magitek, especially how in the main character seems to in the forefront of advancing the technology in that way. But so far there feels like there is this problem in marrying all of its parts together. Kind of like a problem with tone, how it can be really childish one moment, and then more adult the next. But not in the sense of a purposeful sense of whiplash in taking you by surprise, but a number of characters feel like incredibly shallow made clichés you would find in a childish show, and then the next it wants to play big boy.

How his reincarnation thing worked does not even feel properly explained, like was he reborn as a child, learn the language there despite keeping his Earth memories, and only then see that there are giant robots? There was more that could have been done to explain what his thought process was like rather than rushing in all of these story ideas, which I think it did because it wants to get him into a giant robot. I actually think some patience could have been good, like an episode for learning before school, and then another for in school up to now, and how he was making upgrades to the general thinking. They said magic is like programing, but the scene kind of making that comparison went in a flash that it was hard to really properly draw an understanding.

The reincarnation bit is explained in more detail in the book.
He was reborn with his adult memories intact, but was depressed that he'd never see another mecha again in his new world. He was resigned to live out a normal life, until he saw the Knights and that rekindled his passion again.

Having read the books, I'll admit the writing can be shallow, especially if it's not related to robots & action. Don't expect deep musings on understanding the impact of reincarnation and how it affects the MC like in Youjo Senki.
But the writing knows how to be fun, especially when it comes to robots. Author's a mecha otaku, if you consider his Twitter profile says he " loves works with giant humanoid weapons, and will live and die for mecha". Which gives an idea of what themes he prioritises in his writing.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
@zztop

Do you know if the author is working with Anime makers of this series? I've only read the manga, so i have to wonder if the series going to go in a different path than the manga and the light novels (assume your talking about LT books).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
If we consider ep1 as a preface and ep 2 as a proper intro, then this might be an intriguing series to follow for the season.
It is filled to the brim with clichés, but just as well it might be a safe bet for entertainment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Definitely effective popcorn entertainment. Again, I'm continuing to be impressed by the monster designs. Oh and the mecha look, too.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
If we consider ep1 as a preface and ep 2 as a proper intro, then this might be an intriguing series to follow for the season.
It is filled to the brim with clichés, but just as well it might be a safe bet for entertainment.

Eps 1 & 2 covered Vol 1 of the LN.
Plotwise, Vols 3 or 5 would be the best stopping place (Vols 6-7 form part of an ongoing arc, 7 is latest release).
Until an official episode count is given, it'll be hard to say with certainty how many books will be adapted for the anime. The speed with which Vol 1 was adapted suggests 5 vols in 1 cour (like Danmachi and Akashic Records), but this is just an educated guess for now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 has certainly set up what might be a good enough groove to continue on after the first episode being a bit problematic with direction. The tone seemed to be much better like this episode was more of what the author was a better writer at.

I kind of liked how he was kind of scary at how effective he was at piloting, but I fear that won't be used to full effect that it might be. Instead largely him being pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2