• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From NY Mag's vulture.com: Forget Brooding Superheroes — the Big Money Is in Kids’ Comics

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Here's a link to an article at vulture.com, which is associated with New York magazine.

Forget Brooding Superheroes — the Big Money Is in Kids’ Comics:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/raina-telgemeier-kids-comics.html

Here are a few excerpts:

Abruptly, the most important sector in the world of sequential art has become graphic novels for young people. Call it the Youth-Comics Explosion. It’s redefining the future of an entire art form.

You can argue that it began with a foreign invasion. “I’d trace a lot of the beginnings of the under-18 market to the manga boom in the early aughts,” says Griepp.

Telgemeier’s brand of slice-of-life comics for grade-schoolers opened the door for an array of creators with similar instincts, such as Cece Bell, whose hit 2014 graphic novel El Deafo depicts her childhood struggle with hearing loss; or Svetlana Chmakova, whose manga-influenced Awkward and Brave chronicle attraction and rivalry within diverse student communities.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
So North American comics are beginning to be reborn into perhaps a similar movement that happened to manga in the late 1940's and 1950's. That is, more diverse stuff (featuring many genres besides superheroes) aimed at children and teenagers, who grew up later and continued to read comics.

Lets see if this boom continues, if it does maybe in some decades animation and comics might become in North America something more like they are in Japan: general mediums instead of niche genre dominated mediums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1