• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 12-18 [2017-08-24]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing catastrophic happening with My Hero Academia. Episode 32 was not that well received, but it more than likely will rebound next week. And it is still in the top 2 of the cumulative. But the person in charge of this column/feature's blurbs loves making a big deal about what happens in the volatile weekly ratings. PLEASE, STOP IT.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
There is nothing catastrophic happening with My Hero Academia. Episode 32 was not that well received, but it more than likely will rebound next week. And it is still in the top 2 of the cumulative. But the person in charge of this column/feature's blurbs loves making a big deal about what happens in the volatile weekly ratings. PLEASE, STOP IT.

What do you mean episode 32 wasnt well received? It got 4.2 I think, which is good lol. The whole weekly thing is just wacky.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

As much as I think the blurbs are often overblown, they have to make them interesting. Otherwise it would just be "The cumulative rankings are more or less the same" almost every week. While this week there are some developments in the cumulative - Re:creators after being a challenger for the top five last season is continuing to slide towards the bottom of the top ten, and The Reflection has finally pulled above last place over rightful Chaos Dragon, Vatican Miracle Examiner - they are still pretty modest. The volatility of the weekly rankings makes for more interesting if not properly nuanced blurbs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
What do you mean episode 32 wasnt well received?

I said that episode 32 was not that well received; I am not saying it was bad.

zrnzle500 wrote:
As much as I think the blurbs are often overblown, they have to make them interesting. Otherwise it would just be "The cumulative rankings are more or less the same" almost every week.

I get the reasoning, but does this column really need to be spiced up with hyperbole? If you frequent ANN that means you are a seasoned anime fan, and you should not need explosive blurbs to encourage you to look at a particular column/feature. You either like that piece of content or not.

And zrnzle500, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but at times you sound like an employer of ANN with how much you defend the site. If you are actually an employer, I meant no ill.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Re:creators after being a challenger for the top five last season is continuing to slide towards the bottom of the top ten, and The Reflection has finally pulled above last place over rightful Chaos Dragon, Vatican Miracle Examiner

If the blurb actually contained insight like that, I would not bitch as much.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
oh look, the filler episode made it plummet in the weekly ratings. surprise surprise
lycopene

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I like the blurbs, partly because its amusing how much it upsets someone every week. Keep up the good work
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
I like the blurbs, partly because its amusing how much it upsets someone every week. Keep up the good work

I think I am entitled to receive a monetary compensation from ANN if my reactions are increasing traffic in the site. Wink

Unfortunately for ANN, I will not say anything about click bait blurbs anymore.
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Still no Tsurezure Children in the rankings even though ANN's doing weekly reviews of it now? I was hoping to see how it was stacking up week to week. The series has shot up to the second most popular/watched of the new series this season.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I guess people don't like Froppy as much as they thought?
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Cool Boruto made it to #9 lol.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
Cool Boruto made it to #9 lol.

Probably because Boruto himself isn't the focus of the episode. I'd expect EP 21 to do well too lol
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Pelfmiester wrote:
Still no Tsurezure Children in the rankings even though ANN's doing weekly reviews of it now? I was hoping to see how it was stacking up week to week. The series has shot up to the second most popular/watched of the new series this season.

Yeah, I was just wondering about that too. Not in quite the same tone, but I am a little curious if it'll eventually show up in either of these rankings.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
But the person in charge of this column/feature's blurbs loves making a big deal about what happens in the volatile weekly ratings. PLEASE, STOP IT.

But it's the truth. It dipped out of the weekly top ten. It didn't say it, like, nose dived out of 10 or fell to the bottom of the abyss or like crashed and burned and is now a show no one likes anymore or something. Just dipped. Which kind of implies it'll be back up there soon. And of course something rose to take its place. If something in a top ten drops down, another thing goes up. For a blurb it seems pretty grounded, and not particularly overblown at all.

anyway i'm personally happy to see vatican crawling along in last place. It's like, the only show I'm keeping up with but boy does it deserve that spot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1