• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anthology Released for Gender Identity Disorder, FtM Gender Transition Web Comic

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is so awesome and progressive.
My friend, who's ftm transgender would be so happy to see this! Smile
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
This art style makes absolute sense. It's very comical. And that's what this manga is: A joke. Neutral
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
This is neat. I'm always happy whenever some more ftm stuff pops up because there's not a lot of it.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
This art style makes absolute sense. It's very comical. And that's what this manga is: A joke. Neutral

Is it? That's a shame. I was hoping it was a serious take on the experience of an FTM character and not a joke.. which I know a lot of anime/manga just further the idea of gender identity being a joke, which is sad because it's not. Sad
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
It's not a joke, although I'm sure there's true-to-life humor in the manga, the person you've quoted is making a transphobic dig.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic, and I'm glad that Japan is slowly but surely becoming more progressive when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
It's exciting to see real lgbt+ stories getting told through manga. While I'm not a big fan of biographical comics, I would read this if it came out in English.

While the manga is about the authors understanding of her husbands transgender experience, I hope it doesn't downplay his experiences of being transgender in Japan.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
OK yeah, orrrrr we could talk about the trans people in our lives like they're real human beings and not make the entire premise a question of their psychological and surgical history. For all the antiquated terminology I'm certain this book will lean on, the real pathology is society's unending obsession with trans folks and our genitalia.

Meanwhile in the real world, we're mostly worried about finding housing and getting jobs that will pay us a living wage. Or having healthcare - period. Rolling Eyes
kameoosama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
OK yeah, orrrrr we could talk about the trans people in our lives like they're real human beings and not make the entire premise a question of their psychological and surgical history. For all the antiquated terminology I'm certain this book will lean on, the real pathology is society's unending obsession with trans folks and our genitalia.

Meanwhile in the real world, we're mostly worried about finding housing and getting jobs that will pay us a living wage. Or having healthcare - period. Rolling Eyes

I mean maybe? My impression is that this is a woman writing about her own IRL husband so we'd hope that said husband has a say in how his story is presented. Not that even that guarantees anything, I know.

But still, when I see a nonfiction manga about trans issues I wanna be cautiously optimistic about it. So I hope it's more respectful than the PR copy makes it sound. I hope it actually comes out in English so it doesn't just end up like the 2 autobio manga written by trans women I have sitting in my Bookwalker that I wish I could actually read instead of just admiring the art and inferring meaning. And I know it's kind of a big ask, but mostly I hope that if I do get to read it, it's something that's reassuring and encouraging to people that are struggling with their identity and/or are struggling with the decision to move forward in their transition.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
This could be a very fun manga to read! Smile I'm ecstatic to see more manga that bring up LGBT issues.
Watts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
kameoosama wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

I mean maybe? My impression is that this is a woman writing about her own IRL husband so we'd hope that said husband has a say in how his story is presented. Not that even that guarantees anything, I know.

But still, when I see a nonfiction manga about trans issues I wanna be cautiously optimistic about it. So I hope it's more respectful than the PR copy makes it sound. I hope it actually comes out in English so it doesn't just end up like the 2 autobio manga written by trans women I have sitting in my Bookwalker that I wish I could actually read instead of just admiring the art and inferring meaning. And I know it's kind of a big ask, but mostly I hope that if I do get to read it, it's something that's reassuring and encouraging to people that are struggling with their identity and/or are struggling with the decision to move forward in their transition.

After some searching, I found the blog where the author has posted most of the comics: http://uchidan.com/

I can't read much Japanese but the stories are just about the daily life Yome, the author, and her husband, Danna. Early on, there are some text posts written by Danna, explaining a few things some readers might be curious about. Yome also explains the how, what, and why about Danna's FtM transition and how it's affected both of their lives. It is mostly in Yome's POV. The blog is still active, with the last comic posted on September 2nd.

I'm going to try to see if my local Kinokuniya has a copy of this in store. I'd really like to own a copy and read the comics that haven't been posted online.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
It is definitely lovely and great to see more (open) LGBT+ works coming, especially through manga.

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness was really good, even if it hurt to read (in a very human and relatable way), but I hope to be able to support this too. I suppose I'll need to check in with Kinokuniya as well.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
While as a trans woman I appreciate this and The Bride was a Boy (look it up rl trans woman named Chi)
I do feel as both a trans woman and a lesbian those experiences aren't talked about as much (for instance you can change your gender in Japan but can't get married if you are gay and trans)
and yes people deny the existance of trans lesbians Terfs even say (and a ton of conservative people as well) that I'm a straight guy seducing lesbians by pretending to be a woman
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1