• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your favorite anime/Japanese music and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Well, if the song makes your hair stand on end and you cry tears of joy when you hear it live, that counts in my books.

This last trip:

Aqua Terrarium from Nagi no Asukara performed live by co-writer Chiaki Ishikawa.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
For background music it is Akira and Hiroshi Miyagawa for they scores to Yamato and Yamato 2199.

Thanks to Toaru Kagaku no Railgun I found fripSide which now my favorite band.

Maeda Jun for his Clannad music that is almost guaranteed to leave me in tears every time.
Mandragoras

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
In terms of music in anime, I feel like the ensemble Geinoh Yamashirogumi's work on Akira and Joe Hisaishi's soundtrack to Spirited Away are in their own league. but in terms of series Alien Nine has some truly exquisite music used incredibly well. Most people think of Kuniaki Haishima as the Monster guy—and "Grain" is an amazing opening—but people tend to overlook Alien Nine in general and its music even more so, and that's seriously a shame. More recently, I really dug Kevin Penkin's work on Made in Abyss, in part because I am just a huge sucker for gamelan.

In terms of Japanese music in general... does anyone else here listen to harsh noise? I'm actually being entirely serious. MSBR, KK Null, Government Alpha, Merzbow when he's on point. Good stuff. In terms of more, uhhh, accessible fare, I really dig the more Sonic Youth-inflected end of J-rock (Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, Ajikan), plus a lot of more miscellaneous stuff: Coaltar of the Deepers, Corrupted, Polysics, Envy, Boris, Susumu Hirasawa. Some of that comes from anime, some from just scrounging around the Internet. You know how it is.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
opening of first season of naruto shippuden Very Happy
kellyon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ah I really love Emilia's insert song, Bouya no Yume yo. It's so soothing. Rie Takahashi is amazing..Smile
nadiiiiiiii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
kellyon wrote:
Ah I really love Emilia's insert song, Bouya no Yume yo. It's so soothing. Rie Takahashi is amazing..Smile

Have to agree! It is really beautiful Smile
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I really loved some of the orchestral scores used in many titles. In fact I get the impression that anime features some of the best scores ever made for film and TV. It is also the biggest advantage that anime has over manga is that when the score is good the same story becomes even better.

Joe Hisaishi's scores in particular are very powerful and memorable. I specially loved Princess Mononoke's score, some parts of it sent shivers down my spine and it feels very authentically dramatic and also has a very Japanese quality. While Nausicaa and Spirited Away are also amazing, the first has an epic and poignant quality that fits very well with the movie's post apocalyptic setting while the second has an ethereal quality that matches the film very well. Joe Hisaishi's scores in his live action movies are also impressive, in fact in movies like Departures, his score remains the best part of the movie.

Another composer that I like is Ko Otani whose score for Haibane Renmei is one of the reasons why I rate it among my favorite series of all time. Also, Kajiura Yuki has produced many great scores in particular for Madoka.

Another series whose score is very impressive is Simoun (2006), although not regarded as among Sahashi's most memorable scores I also found it among the reasons why I loved it so much. It's very heavily influenced by Western classical and jazz music.

LOGH is a good example of a title that uses classical music as its scores with mastery as the musical background fits the atmosphere of the show very well.

Among recent series I really liked the scores for Little Witch Academia (really had a thick magical atmosphere) and Made in Abyss (which everybody liked).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Otani Kou also wrote the off-beat score for Hyouge Mono. One of my favorite pieces accompanies Sasuke's first visit to Nobunaga's new palace. It's a bit off-kilter which underscores Sasuke's disorientation and amazement at the artistry and riches of Nobunaga's lair.

Such a terrific show, and one that will live in obscurity outside Japan, I'm afraid.

Kajiura resurfaced last year with her excellent score for Princess Principal.

Made in Abyss won my personal best-OP-of-2017 award. Even the TV Size version manages to include four shifts of mood in just ninety seconds. Kevin Penkin's score was compelling, too.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Another series whose score is very impressive is Simoun (2006), although not regarded as among Sahashi's most memorable scores I also found it among the reasons why I loved it so much. It's very heavily influenced by Western classical and jazz music.

A great soundtrack, although OST2 was still at new price when I finally located a secondhand copy at Mandarake Nagoya.

Following related artists can be a good way to explore anime music - e.g. from Simoun one can also look at the music of Chiaki Ishikawa and Aa (Savage Genius). From Chiaki Ishikawa and Yuki Kajiura I found out about Kaori Hikita and the song she sang on the Amatsuki OST "Namae no nai michi" / 名まえのない道 (music Yuki Kajiura, lyrics Yuuho Iwasato) and the OST itself.
Anime_fan_88

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I actually have multiple songs as a favorite:

- Bluebird and Sha la la from Naruto Shippuden.
- The first, second, and third intros of Beelzebub.
- Bleach 2nd and 6th theme.
- You was shock from Hokuto no Ken.
- Brand New World and Shining ray from One Piece.
- most of the Detective Conan songs.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
Besides Kaori Hikita, Lisa Komine has also played requests, Red Monochrome (Tokyo Ravens insert song) being one that she played at a live at my request.

Most recently I had the privilege of hearing Kaori Hikita singing Negai from Tales of Symphonia.
#ShinyBD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
Death Note soundtracks are amazing! I just love it. I feel it touching my soul while listening
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
Attending Flying Dog Live on Saturday, so my first time seeing Akino Arai, Maaya Sakamoto and Yoko Kanno live, along with regulars like May'n, Megumi Nakajima, Akino plus Bless4, Ali Project, Chiaki Ishikawa and Yuki Kajiura with first live appearance in a while from Yuuka Nanri.

All these artists create an incredible atmosphere with their compositions and performances.

Very late EDIT: Yoko Kanno was a no-show due to illness, replaced by Fire Bomber – Yoshiki Fukuyama x Chie Kajiura.

Last edited by omiya on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
lenonglevis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
currently on loop:

from haikyuu to the top:
op, phoenix by burnout syndrome
also the ed, Chico with Honeyworks

the lyrics really representation of the anime.
kkrotoox

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Linked Horizon - Shinzou wo Sasageyo

Shingeki no Kyojin Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5