• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime-Ville Horror

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that you recommend picking up the UK release Paranoia Agent next to the screenshot of the trio trying to hang themselves, Mike, as much of that scene was infamously cut from the dvd. The UK has pretty strict regulations when it comes to material glorifying things like underage sex, drug use or suicide, & I guess the darkly-humorous nature of that clip, coupled with it being animated, led to a 20 second or so section of the episode being missing (If I recall correctly, they walk up to the ropes, then it suddenly cuts to them falling down the hill). It caused a bit of a stink at the time, and was possibly my first instance of seeing that type of hash and slash censorship occur since the vhs age.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Requiem from the Darkness is really good. It can get very dark and gruesome as you might expect, but the stories are easy to get into and the main cast is pretty likable.

And that opening theme: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmP2MFmkdNY
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Whew, thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot the annual viewing of the Dirty Pair OAV episode! Very Happy

(In which Kei openly admits the Japanese don't have the faintest clue what Halloween is about, and know-it-all Yuri isn't quite correct on it either.)
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm planning on watching Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek for the first time on Halloween this year. Very Happy

A more obscure recommendation I can give is Gregory Horror Show, a series of bizarre, very entertaining CGI shorts. Geneon had the license to it, and I've seen anime fans go "WTF is this?" when they get it in blind boxes today. Laughing

There was also a PlayStation 2 game which never made it over to the US (however was released in PAL).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Vampire hunter d: bloodlust Is the best halloween anime imo

Last edited by #854626 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Mike, for mentioning all my favorites that Lynzee missed in her list. Of course, she was doing currently streamable ones, and as you note some of these are sadly hard to find outside of out of print discs.
DJShay13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
It's atmospheric and has a great finale https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQKGdAsOYM

I just finished Boogiepop and man does it ever set a mood. I can't say I quite understand everything in it, but it exceeded my expectations
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If you fancy some children's horror, albeit with 90s OVA graphic imagery, I'd recommend The Curse of Kazuo Umezu OVA. Some short stories by the renowned horror mangaka that are pretty good by cheap OVA standards (you don't need me to tell you there's a lot of crap horror/gore OVAs out there). Reminded me a bit of this bizarre gem from the 60s that's on Amazon Prime for some reason.

Although if you want to know true horror, you can't go wrong with Kennel Tokorozawa

Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Whew, thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot the annual viewing of the Dirty Pair OAV episode!

That is truly the Halloween equivalent to A Christmas Carol. If the real holiday were as fun as that depicted in such an episode, I'd be less inclined to dislike it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
What happened to this being about Halloween episodes?

What about the "Dancing Stars On Me" episode of Love Live?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Mononoke is great, i should of re-watched it all on Halloween. Requiem from the Darkness, looks good, anyone know where I can watch it? Isn't Paronara Agent available in NA?
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Mononoke is great, i should of re-watched it all on Halloween. Requiem from the Darkness, looks good, anyone know where I can watch it? Isn't Paronara Agent available in NA?

Requiem From the Darkness has a recent DVD rerelease from Discotek. Paranoia Agent, as Mike mentioned in the article, is sadly an gap in the currently available stuff in North America. But unless it’s called Paprika, Satoshi Kon’s stuff is inexplicably rare in North America. Someone needs to get the license to all his movies and release a special edition blu ray set of them.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for remembering Vampire Princess Miyu (OAV not the TV series) which also had a wonderfully creepy Kenji Kawai soundtrack.

Rumiko Takahashi did some nice forays into horror ---Hungry Ghosts, Firestarter, and some of the Mermaid stuff that turned into OAVs back in the day.

Lain may get some of its horror tropes from writer Chiaki Konaka, who has an interest in the Lovecraft Cthulu mythos.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Well,Halloween's soon going to be here and it's natural to talk about spooky shows like "Requiem from the Darkness,""Kakurenbo,""Vampire Hunter D,"etc. It's spooky but also a little fun to do so. I just heard the theme from "Requiem from the Darkness" and I've gotta admit the person who sung the theme sounds for all the world like she's American. You wouldn't know that the woman singing the song was Japanese. It reminds me of a similar series called "Mirage of Blaze." I swear that the woman who was singing that theme was a Kim Carnes soundalike. And if you don't know who Kim Carnes was,she was a singer who was popular in the 1980's.
I've also seen a little of "Boogiepop Phantom" and "Serial Experiments Lain." They're both very weird shows and perfect for Halloween. Trust me on that. These shows can be very unsettling so for this time of year,so yeah. Go and try to find them. If you dare!!!! (Insert creepy Vincent Price laugh here.) Laughing

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
great stuff in here sad some of it will be hard to track down
i also recommend the original blood the last vampire and perhaps some of the later stuff as well
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2