• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Rikka Version

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Now can you people at ANN review Fist of The North Star Collection, please? Please?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
@ Troy -

Nice collection. Always have much love for my fellow fujos and fudas out there.

You should consider attending YaoiCon (if you haven't already) next year. With the exception of Hinako Takanaga, all of their recent guests have been fun - Especially Makoto Tateno (Yellow mangaka). Everyone is very accepting, and I think you'd have a great time at Bingo & Auction.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about Testament of a New Sister Devil. At first glance it looks like a series i would never consider, but then again i could have said the same about Chivalry of a Failed Knight, which i enjoyed a lot more than i expected to. Anyone have opinions on that series.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
WOW! Troy, your collection is amazing! How many books do you have?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I'm curious about Testament of a New Sister Devil. At first glance it looks like a series i would never consider, but then again i could have said the same about Chivalry of a Failed Knight, which i enjoyed a lot more than i expected to. Anyone have opinions on that series.

I haven't heard anything groundbreaking about it myself. The highest "praise I've heard is that it's essentially a poor man's High School DxD. So if you like that you might like this, but then again i liked DxD (though i still need to watch the third season) but i really couldnt get past the first episode. I even tried the first volume of the manga, but that had the same effect.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

My problem with Testament is that it takes itself too seriously. DxD works because it knows it's ridiculous, but also sports a good story underneath; Testament is trying to be moderately serious, but also throws in all these sexual service scenes (while taking them super seriously! like there's an actual plot reason for them, which is just /facepalm).

I'm pretty sure I ended up just playing games on my phone while watching the show (I marathoned it) and otherwise being distracted by other things, if that tells you anything.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Is there any consensus as to whether Laputa should be referred to as such within English-speaking circles, given the consistent omission of such a word from its official releases? Nausicaa has largely avoided a similar fate, I notice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Aren't the new Studio Ghibli releases done by GKids? Or do they release their licensed shows through Shout Factory?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Is there any consensus as to whether Laputa should be referred to as such within English-speaking circles, given the consistent omission of such a word from its official releases? Nausicaa has largely avoided a similar fate, I notice.

IIRC, isn't it because its a derogatory term in Spanish. I'm not sure about Nausicaa though, cause I found nothing that names it something bad in a different language.

xchampion wrote:
Aren't the new Studio Ghibli releases done by GKids? Or do they release their licensed shows through Shout Factory?

From what I checked on Shout Factory's site, they don't even have the Ghibli movies for sale there, I checked amazon's descpition, says "studio" (probably published) by G-Kids, on B&N, says "source" Shout Factory. I found no source of Ghibli movies on Shout's site, so its all G-Kids.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
With the exception of Hinako Takanaga

idk much about them but what was wrong with them?

anyway, damn troy, you got quite the collection. didn't even realise that much yaoi has been licensed in the west lol
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
xchampion wrote:

From what I checked on Shout Factory's site, they don't even have the Ghibli movies for sale there, I checked amazon's descpition, says "studio" (probably published) by G-Kids, on B&N, says "source" Shout Factory. I found no source of Ghibli movies on Shout's site, so its all G-Kids.

Shout! Factory is doing the distribution; There was a press release. I can't find a picture of the Blu-rays with their logo on it, so I assume this is a behind the scenes thing. A clumsy analogy, I suppose, would be Right Stuf distributing the Pied Piper 'Skip Beat' Blu-ray sets.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
I see Candis, well, I don't check into PR stuff, so, I'm usually off the loop.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
idk much about them but what was wrong with them?

In 2016, she attended YaoiCon on her birthday. We gave her a pretty nifty birthday crown. When she took it off, it messed her hair up a bit. But instead of her fixing it, she has her agent do it for her instead. If that doesn't reek of primadonna-ness, I don't know what else does.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

For the record, I think Testament of a New Sister Devil is hot garbage. The thing that gets me is that the fan service scenes seem like what I thought sex was as a kid before I actually knew. Like the dude will be like "I'm going to be kinda rough, but try to bare it," and then just grab her titties for like 10 minutes until the scene is done. It's like it has bdsm dialogue but doesn't know what sex is. It's kinda hilarious.

Unrelated, I find it sad that Aniplex is rereleasing Ano Hana for more than what the old nice NIS set cost, but I don't know what I expected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1