• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Player Stands By 15 Million Yen Spent on Soon Defunct Idolm@ster: Million Live Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Idolm@ster: Million Live is just the latest victim of an ongoing trend of moe social games shutting down

Slightly different genre, but I noticed the last time I tried to play Angel Beats! Yurippe's Grand Guild Operation that the game dies after the launch screen with an error, and is no longer listed on Japan's iOS App Store. It's the second AB! game to shut down, after the earlier Angel Beats! Operation Wars.

Glad I didn't spend a year's salary in either like this dude did.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This is hilarious I was just looking up for region free 'Idolmaster' game and then this news comes up.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Most people that are serious about spending money on Greemas are fairly happy about the money that they spent, in the sense that there's no regret there. One can complain about how the shutdown and other issues being handled by the game's management (main sticking point in my opinion is the fact that you can't produce Kotoha in Theater Days yet), but it's more likely that high spenders are OK with it, since it's both human psychology and it's more likely they're aceepting of the risk with what they are doing with the money.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
That's INSANE. I spend on mobile games, but not like that!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Today, on “My cellphone ruined my life”...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Y'know they should've tried to do a region free release of Idolm@ster. The love for this game has it's own cult following. Actually I wouldn't mind getting ti for our collection, but then I wonder if the kiddies here could...ahem...handle it like adults.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Girl games have been shutting down, but boy games have been growing. Touken Ranbu, I7, EnStars, and Yume100... I don't know how TsukiPara's doing.

And then there's Granblue Fantasy, FGO, and Icchibanketsu which have both.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Most people that are serious about spending money on Greemas are fairly happy about the money that they spent, in the sense that there's no regret there. One can complain about how the shutdown and other issues being handled by the game's management (main sticking point in my opinion is the fact that you can't produce Kotoha in Theater Days yet), but it's more likely that high spenders are OK with it, since it's both human psychology and it's more likely they're aceepting of the risk with what they are doing with the money.

Kotoha's seiyuu is just starting to get back into work again after what ever was wrong with her voice/vocal chords. I'm willing to be they're saving her reintroduction to the franchise for either a Live or an event in TD. TD numbers aren't the strongest right now and I would be willing to be an event featuring her return would bring in numbers that scamco is wanting to see.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Girl games have been shutting down, but boy games have been growing. Touken Ranbu, I7, EnStars, and Yume100... I don't know how TsukiPara's doing.

There's a larger number of games featuring just girls so there's more competition but boy ones are growing so they'll hit that point themselves.
Vanilla ML was being hosted by Gree which I've heard is having a hard time themselves currently but I don't think that has much to do with it as much as Scamco was doubling dipping the cookies into the milk glass. Likely wanted to put their time and resources into TD since 3DCG for idol games is the future instead of a card clicker game that ML was.

Edit:
Would also like to say some rumors going around that I've been hearing is the HTML5 im@s browser game is likely to have ML's too so it would be triple dipping at that point. These are just rumors though.

Last edited by Amiantos on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
How people spend tens and hundreds of thousands on money pits is beyond me. People are selling their entire game collections for less than $130k, you'd have more enjoyment not to mention bragging rights having an super large game collection than spending it on a F2P money pit.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
How people spend tens and hundreds of thousands on money pits is beyond me. People are selling their entire game collections for less than $130k, you'd have more enjoyment not to mention bragging rights having an super large game collection than spending it on a F2P money pit.

Fun is pretty subjective, what you find fun might not be fun for him.

That being said this is pretty common symptom among idol fans in general. Hardcore LLers I'm sure a lot have seen the pictures of them with like 30x of an item on their person at once on top of multiple pieces of other merch on them. It's all about supporting your fav girl.

I have a friend who is pretty well off and has spent likely a comparable number in CG by this point I'm certain since I don't ask his avg spending on both CG and SS. He's also able to afford flying to Japan each year for one of the CG Lives and just bought a new house.

I've put a good number into CG and SS, nothing as close to this guy or my friend but I can grasp the reasoning. Like that guy my friend and myself have little regret in spending on the idols.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I used to spend a lot in mobages. I spent hundreds on Love Live Schoolfest. But I've reached the point now where I'm like "well, I want that card, but it's not like having it means all that much". I don't play mobages enough and I can always look at the art online.

I'm not sure if I regret spending money on stuff. I think I do. The more I think about it the more I realise I regret it so I try not to think about it. In a way I wish I was as satisfied as this dude. But I'm also glad I didn't go to such an extent as to blow that much cash.

People need to realise that mobages are completely gambling.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
More power to those that are proud that they spent millions of yen to express their devotion to Idolm@ster: Million Live.

However, that's millions of yen spent on content that they'll never see again...
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
#861208 wrote:

There's a larger number of games featuring just girls so there's more competition but boy ones are growing so they'll hit that point themselves.
Vanilla ML was being hosted by Gree which I've heard is having a hard time themselves currently but I don't think that has much to do with it as much as Scamco was doubling dipping the cookies into the milk glass. Likely wanted to put their time and resources into TD since 3DCG for idol games is the future instead of a card clicker game that ML was.

Edit:
Would also like to say some rumors going around that I've been hearing is the HTML5 im@s browser game is likely to have ML's too so it would be triple dipping at that point. These are just rumors though.

We're also quite excited Kancolle is moving from Flash to HTML5 probably in Spring, certainly in 2018. The previous poster brings up Touken Ranbu, and they are very similar in several ways. I think the trend is that the Girl games are simply ending their life cycles. The im@s game that is ending in this article has a successor. Which the post I'm quoting also notes is moving to HTML 5.

We're more or less in the equivalent of a Console Generation. The franchises aren't dying out as much as they are upgrading. Some of them won't be worth the manpower to bring to HTML 5, and will be left to decay. Good times ahead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2