• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Oct 29-Nov 4 [2017-11-09]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
That March episode deserves the number one spot. It was an absolute masterpiece, even when viewed as a standalone piece regardless of the overall story.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
The cumulative top 10 continues to make sense to me. And MMO Junkie is really climbing the cumulative chart; I am very glad because this is a good show that deserves all the praise it is getting.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about how the ranking is done. Are all the data taken at the same time? As in, does a show aired on Sunday get a whole week and a show aired on Saturday only get less than a day before its rating get used? or is this a case where all the shows are allowed specific number of days before the scores get taken into account for this ranking?

I'm asking because MMO Junkie rating on the current episode review page seem to drop below some other shows for a while now, while YuYuYu score got higher.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The Crunchyroll system of including the number of people that voted for the reviews gives a much better idea of popularity since with no mention of vote numbers a higher score with 20 people will beat a slightly lower score with 200 people.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The Crunchyroll system of including the number of people that voted for the reviews gives a much better idea of popularity since with no mention of vote numbers a higher score with 20 people will beat a slightly lower score with 200 people.

I think these numbers are only visible to those with Admin-level access, but I can tell you that all of the top 7 in this time span are comparable in vote total, with The Ancient Magus' Bride having the highest vote total by a significant margin (more than 10%, and that seems to be consistent all season so far). The lowest in the Top 10 is Konohana Kitan, which has a pretty low vote total.

The bottom two are actually two of the lowest in terms of vote totals, so if the chart's skewed anywhere by vote numbers, it's at the bottom.

Mod Edit: Some privileged statistical information excised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I think these numbers are only visible to those with Admin-level access, but I can tell you that all of the top 7 in this time span are comparable in vote total, with The Ancient Magus' Bride having the highest vote total by a significant margin (more than 10%, and that seems to be consistent all season so far). The lowest in the Top 10 is Konohana Kitan, which has a pretty low vote total.

The bottom two are actually two of the lowest in terms of vote totals, so if the chart's skewed anywhere by vote numbers, it's at the bottom.

Is there a reason why you don't show these numbers? It would be cool to know which shows are the most popular/Which as the highest retention of people. Scores only tell so much.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The top 10 difference isn't that bad at less than 3:1 though it is nice to have vote numbers just to have an idea of the sample size. Granted it is a bit depressing when watching a show on Crunchyroll such as Monster Strike and noticing that only 20 people have voted on an episode that was released over a year ago.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Girl's Last Tour dropped after episode 5? Come on, really people?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

It’s just a really competitive season. Near the top, if a show drops, it isn’t because it was a bad episode, just that some shows did even better.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Is there a reason why you don't show these numbers? It would be cool to know which shows are the most popular/Which as the highest retention of people. Scores only tell so much.

I think I remember an old post by... someone at staff saying they don't wanna show 'em because they'd somewhat be showing the hitcount on each of these reviews.

I wish I liked the March episode but unfortunately I guess I'm that guy this time. Glad everyone enjoyed it though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Osomatsu is really sinking like a rock. What happened?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wow, Osomatsu is really sinking like a rock. What happened?

It was never that popular Internationally so no surprise.

zrnzle500 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

It’s just a really competitive season. Near the top, if a show drops, it isn’t because it was a bad episode, just that some shows did even better.

First time I'm seeing the weekly ratings without a clear "winner". The cumulative is still being dominated by a single show tho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1