• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - New Dominion Thank Police

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this the Fate discussion from last time? Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they start out discussing Mary and the Witches Flower, not the Justice league. This is last week's pod cast.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Yes, they start out discussing Mary and the Witches Flower, not the Justice league. This is last week's pod cast.

Direct link is fixed! Sorry about that!
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
When I hear bone daddy my mind just go to the one in Made in Abyss...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
When I hear bone daddy my mind just go to the one in Made in Abyss...

But that is last season's skeletal fancy! It's not like the industry is bare-bones when it comes to choosing a new one each time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the question of what fans of Don Bluth should watch, the answer should be obvious I think? Anything made by Tezuka. Their careers followed a similar path, they both did a lot of works focused on either animal characters or other non-humans used as proxies for human social commentary, and both were very forward thinking in pushing the envelopes in their industries. I always felt like Bluth must have been inspired by Tezuka. Wish I could ask him myself.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
For Bone Daddy fandom, I need someone to find that clip from Tiny Toon Adventures where Elmyra sings about the skull in her hair bow:

"It's the Mr. Skullhead /
show… /
Starring Mr. Skullhead /
man…"
And then start editing that in as a reaction shot in TAMB YouTube videos.

EDIT: Fan panels… I've only done one per con in the past, largely because there's not that many topics where I consider myself enough of an expert to provide good content. I understand how it's in the convention's interest to have people do multiple panels to make it worth giving them a badge. To wit, Youmacon's badge discount kicks in at either two panels, or a single panel over a certain duration, and you're not free until you're doing like three. Anyways, I also kind of worried that putting in for a bunch of panels would be like monopolizing the stage, at least at small cons. Now at my big con (Anime Central), they run like 200 fan panels over the weekend, so hey, why not put in for several, right? As long as you can do them all well.

In terms of when a con should handle accommodations or travel, I'd say "when the panelist is going to bring people in who wouldn't come to the con otherwise", which I think is kind of like Jake's point of making them a formal "guest", as opposed to a "fan panelist". Mike Toole would be a good example. All the YouTubers that Crunchyroll Expo brought in (ProZD, Gigguk, Arkada, Canipa Effect, etc.) would also be good examples.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
That Don Bluth question was interesting. I love a lot of his films, but never tried to compare or connect them to an anime equivalent. Right off the top of my head, the only anime I can think of to compare them to would be You Are Umasou (Land Before Time). And even then its only because it deals with some miss-matched, talking dinosaurs who go on an adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
That Don Bluth question was interesting. I love a lot of his films, but never tried to compare or connect them to an anime equivalent.

It's tough, because the trait I associate with Bluth is keeping the flame of traditional feature animation alive when it was at its lowest ebb in the late 70s and early 80s, taking his group of animators out of Disney and doing stuff like The Secret of NIMH because Disney couldn't anymore. In that sense, it's hard to think of an anime equivalent, just because the art and business of anime hasn't had the same twists and turns over the years that American animation has. IMO, the point of Bluth is that his traditionalism was itself iconoclastic, and that's an unusual situation to be in.

In that sense, maybe Osamu Dezaki, who was still doing his thing well into the 2000s? Seeing him do his signature pastel-chalked freeze frame in the Clannad movie was a curious mix of old and new. The same way that watching Bluth's Anastasia in 1997 (hey, 20th anniversary everyone!), it already felt much older than it actually was. And that goes double for his Thumbelina.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
There already is an anthropomorphic version of the Western Zodiac. It's an otome game series called "Starry☆Sky" where you can romance the zodiac sign of your choice. The premise and story are stupid, but the voice acting, artwork, and music knock it out of the ball park. It's a shame the anime adaptation it got from Studio Deen was terrible.

As a panelist at Anime Detour, I would love it if they comped our badges, but that's definitely not a thing for the smaller conventions (On that topic, I'm running a Dangnaronpa discussion panel this year! You're welcome to be one of the speakers, Jacob, if you feel a strong desire to fly out to MN Razz )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1