• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Convention Report: Princess Principal at Anime NYC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Princess Principal is my favorite anime series of this year, and even though I am happy with just the 12 episodes we got, I would not mind seeing more of it. I am not sure if I would want to see another tv season, but a 90 minutes movie could be neat.

Speaking of supporting the show, I might have imported the Japanese BD's if they had English subtitles. I could also buy the Ange figure, but my favorite character is Dorothy. I actually bought the CD soundtrack, and it is very good.
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess Principal is also my favorite show of the year. I'm glad to see it getting more attention. I also want to vouch for re-watching the show revealing more things you probably didn't notice the first time around.

And yes, the soundtrack CD is very good. You should buy it. And all the other PP merch. Borrow money against your house, cash in the retirement, sell your children, and buy PP stuff -- I want a second season, darn it! *

*actually following this advice is not recommended
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the episode about Dorothy with her dad, and the one in the laundry mill. Even though it was fantasy, it did a pretty good job recreating Victorian England. Better than anything out of Hollywood at least.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that Tachibana didn't mention Amazon along the way. I assumed the English-language OP was partly intended to appeal to Western audiences. I wish someone had asked him how important Western markets were to the producers of this show.

I'm also a fan of Dorothy, in large part because of the subtle, well-modulated performance by her seiyuu, Taichi You.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Princess Principal is indeed pretty great. Of note there is some pretty stand out episodes that tell great stories, especially the morgue episode, but that is also true about the series as a whole. I certainly hope to buy some merchandise of the series.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Princess Principal probably isn't my #1 for the year but it's certain to make my Top 5. I'd be delighted to see more in any form - even if it is a movie - and am happy to hear that it is considered a hit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
What's interesting is that were inspired by a story (The First Men On The Moon)* that is now in the public domain in many countries, but this series won't be public domain in the USA for 95 more years. I would imagine that Japanese copyright law would have a TV show be protected for similar length. Quite a bit of hypocritical irony.

*this story was serialized in the original version of the British literary magazine The Strand Magazine, which featured the works by famous Brits such as Rudyard Kipling, Agatha Christie, and Winston Churchill, and Doyle's Sherlock.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
What's interesting is that were inspired by a story (The First Men On The Moon)*...

*this story was serialized in the original version of the British literary magazine The Strand Magazine, which featured the works by famous Brits such as Rudyard Kipling, Agatha Christie, and Winston Churchill, and Doyle's Sherlock.

Really quite an interesting piece of information. I just picked up a huge hardback omnibus of Doyle's Sherlock stories as an early x-mas present, and I've read a little of Christie, but apparently not enough. I didn't even know Churchill actually wrote fiction, so I clearly have more research I must do.
leetailor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The title is actually pretty clever.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/principal#Noun

Princess Principal is one of the best experiences I've had with anime from 2017 so far (along with Made in Abyss, Little Witch Academia and Land of the Lustrous); it was excellent on a second watch, too.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this article! PriPri is easily my favorite anime of the year and I’d love to do everything I could to support it for a second season. So far I only have the OST (and the full OP/ED songs on iTunes Smile ) but hopefully down the road I will be able to shell out the money for the blu-ray imports, subtitles or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1