• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Lastman, Standing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Here's a question: Is Fantasy Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~ an anime? There is no entry for it in the Encyclopedia.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
LastMan has wowed me since it premiered on VRV. Great storytelling, tons of “HOLY SH*T!!!” moments, and some amazing characters voiced by a lot of talented folks in the anime industry. Glad someone else is covering that.

With that in mind, I hope Mike covers Dofus & Wakfu soon. The latter makes the Avatar cartoon look like M. Night’s train wreck.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
My dad swore up and down Code Lyoko was an anime. While it certainly had the artstyle and the fanservice down, I repeatedly informed him it was from the lovely country of France. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to defining anime myself, though at the same time I think people get just a bit too fussy over definitions when what really matters at the end of the day is if it's good or not. Avatar might not be anime but it's certainly better than some of the anime I've seen.

King of the Hill is of course the best anime though.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
My gut instinct has always been whether or not there was considerable creative control given to those living in Japan. I wouldn't really consider Neo-Yokio to be anime because only two non-integral aspects of the production were handled in Japan. The writing and story concept original from the US. The animation was done in South Korea.

It's difficult to be consistent. I know, for example, MyAnimeList doesn't consider BeyWheelz/Beyraiderz/Beywarriors Cyborg to be anime because they were funded by Nelvana, a Canadian company. That's despite each show having been written, directed and key animated in Japan. Yet, on the other hand, they consider the Beyblade Metal Saga shows to be anime ... despite also being funded by Nelvana. The only difference being the others were aimed exclusively at the foreign market. Even worse, they consider Top Plate, an unofficial Korean Beyblade spinoff (long story), anime despite only having a Japanese writer. The show itself was aimed at the SK marke. Laughing

nobahn wrote:
Here's a question: Is Fantasy Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~ an anime? There is no entry for it in the Encyclopedia.

That's just one of the 2000-ish titles stuck in the encyclopedia purgatory.

If it's not popular or referenced in the news a lot, a show/manga/movie/whatever's addition into the encyclopedia has to get crowd sourced. Because it's a relatively unknown feature and there's just so much listed, not a tonne of progress gets made. Most of the shows I added years ago are still waiting.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Netflix also puts Castlevania in their anime section, which helped fuel that discussion probably out of deception. It reminds me of how they put The Babadook in their LGBT section for no real specific reason, but overnight it became a gay icon.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Castlevania, but I never thought of it as an Anime, and that's OK because you don't need to be Anime, to be adult animation.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of the opinion of "give me cartoons!" Idgaf where they're from, as long as they're good, so I'll take Steven Universe and Trollhunters over garbage anime any day.

As for Last Man, I rented the first vol or 2 from the library, and I quite enjoyed it. Picked up a few used for quite cheap, but I did not realize that the first 6 vols were a complete arc. Knowing this though, I shall endeavor to pick up the 3 vols I am missing next time I hit the comic shop (which I will do because there are good sales during the holiday). But damn, mI am like, a year late on vol 6 coming out. Hopefully the series will do well enough in America to get the second arc then! Or perhaps :01 wants to put it out in bigger chunks, as you suggested.
And, of course, I will have to check out the cartoon when I get a chance!

Speaking of :01, The Nameless City is another all ages comic I would recommend from them. Rented vol 1 of that at the library as well, I can see why the Avatar creators would enjoy it, it does have some Avatar vibes from it for certain. Got a good 9+ months to wait on the final vol, but it should be well worth it! They're also starting to publish Cucumber Quest, a super charming webcomic that I am looking forward to picking up!
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

That's just one of the 2000-ish titles stuck in the encyclopedia purgatory.

If it's not popular or referenced in the news a lot, a show/manga/movie/whatever's addition into the encyclopedia has to get crowd sourced. Because it's a relatively unknown feature and there's just so much listed, not a tonne of progress gets made. Most of the shows I added years ago are still waiting.

I don't get why stuff like that needs to take forever to get put on the encyclopedia. Wouldn't it make more sense if they had someone on staff to approve of all new pages instead of just having random people take years (if they ever bother to, that is) to get the entry accepted into the encyclopedia?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

It's difficult to be consistent. I know, for example, MyAnimeList doesn't consider BeyWheelz/Beyraiderz/Beywarriors Cyborg to be anime because they were funded by Nelvana, a Canadian company. That's despite each show having been written, directed and key animated in Japan. Yet, on the other hand, they consider the Beyblade Metal Saga shows to be anime ... despite also being funded by Nelvana. The only difference being the others were aimed exclusively at the foreign market. Even worse, they consider Top Plate, an unofficial Korean Beyblade spinoff (long story), anime despite only having a Japanese writer. The show itself was aimed at the SK marke. Laughing

An easy way to tell is to see if its censored or not. Metal Fight was censored in America and the Japanese version was uncut. Generally a show made for foreign audiences will be made without objectional content in it to begin with.

CatSword wrote:
My dad swore up and down Code Lyoko was an anime. While it certainly had the artstyle and the fanservice down, I repeatedly informed him it was from the lovely country of France. Laughing

Code Lyoko's first season has a much different feel and execution than the later ones. After season 1 aired, they started tailoring season 2 and beyond for international audiences in mind more. Which meant less Frenchisms and less gratuitous bath/underwear scenes.

France used to make some interesting stuff back in the day from the 80s to early 2000s, but sadly they kind of fell ito the trap America has of cheap flash and CG animation. Part of the reason Code Lyoko Evolution was live action was 2D animation is expensive, and nobody wants to foot that bill anymore
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
The "cinematicness" isn't owned by anime & manga as it came from, well... cinema. It's not anime and doesn't even look that anime-like in its character designs despite Balak & probably the rest of the staff being anime inspired. But Steven Universe is anime-inspired and no one asks "is Steven Universe anime?"

I guess this was the writer trying to justify writing this but just say "I wanted to talk about this cool anime & manga inspired french cartoon" and leave it at that.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
I sure do miss Code Lyoko. I still haven't finished watching the final season since it disappeared from the airwaves years ago.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Lastman did at least on thing right: Whereas many try to imitate the look and feel of anime but stick to western production methods, the team behind Lastman adopted Japanese production methods but didn't try to imitate the result. What they ended up with naturally feels like manga/anime in many ways but is still unique and doesn't feel forced.

As for defining anime, it's not binary: You can probably find works that are definitely anime and ones that are definitely not, but in-between you've got a gradient of works that are more or less anime. Trying to forcefully include or exclude them is just pointless.
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toole, what are your favorite non- anime cartoons?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
If it's from France, it's a dessin anime, but not an anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2