• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Princess Principal Director Masaki Tachibana

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Great read. Being an original anime, it won’t be easy for Princess Principal to get a second season, but I do think there is enough of a following for it to happen. Smile
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope there’s a second season. PP was an extremely entertaining show.

Oh, and much more of Dorothy please!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
A short but very informative interview.

article wrote:
There was a lot that was still unresolved by the end of the season. Can we expect a second season?

A second season or sequel movie would be nice, but I am satisfied with the 12 episodes we got, and honestly, there were not a lot of things unresolved. If the question is referring to spoiler[Princess not being the queen yet], that would take more than 2 cours to happen in my opinion.
wastrel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview. Looking back, the decision to put the episodes out of chronological order was a great decision. It makes the show very re-watchable, as you 'see' events and clues in light of "earlier chronologically but later in broadcast order" episodes.

But I refuse to believe the Black Lizard Planet isn't real, in some sense (not a literal planet, but perhaps a secret society within the secret spy network). It would fit Ange's personality for her references to the Black Lizard Planet to be the only time she isn't lying. Hey, I can dream.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
For that, I say we leave that up to your imagination. For Ange, she definitely feels friendship and strong feelings of trust. But we didn't interpret it as romantic when we were making it. However, to split everything into black and white… that's simply no fun. So, I leave that up to your imaginations.
Really like princess even called Ange Turtledove
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
For that, I say we leave that up to your imagination. For Ange, she definitely feels friendship and strong feelings of trust. But we didn't interpret it as romantic when we were making it. However, to split everything into black and white… that's simply no fun. So, I leave that up to your imaginations.
Really like princess even called Ange Turtledove

This is basically them confirming there was no romantic feelings but they don't want to upset the fanbase that enjoys the idea of one.

As for "Turtledove", sorry to burst your hopes but a lot of people/cultures (specifically, females) use "turtledove" for literally anyone they're close to. They call their children, grandchildren, and best friends "turtledove". It doesn't automatically equate to romance.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
More would be nice, possibly even needed, but maybe only another 12 episodes or at most 24.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
@kougeru, in Asian storytelling ambiguity is very common if not dominant: the stories are not closed form, self contained fully rational narratives were everything is explained and stablished. Things like the relationship between characters is left more open to interpretation than in Western storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

This is basically them confirming there was no romantic feelings but they don't want to upset the fanbase that enjoys the idea of one.

I think Death of the Author is pertinent here. I've never been a fan of taking what creatives say about their work, thematically or narratively, as gospel if that conflicts with my understanding of it(nor am I a fan of asking creatives to explain interpretive aspects of their work, in general). Media is meant to be personal and interpretive. And rarely should there be a singular answer to something as far as I'm concerned. I actually didn't see any romantic feelings between the two of them, personally, but there is no reason, like Tachibana said, that anyone else can't. If you like them together, go for it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I think Death of the Author is pertinent here. I've never been a fan of taking what creatives say about their work as gospel if that conflicts with my understanding of it. Media is meant to be personal and interpretive. And rarely should there be a singular answer to something as far as I'm concerned. I actually didn't see any romantic feelings between the two of them, personally, but there is no reason, like Tachibana said, that anyone else can't. If you like them together, go for it.

Specially given the subjective nature of art: the experience of art is the interaction between the work and the mind of the person who is experiencing it. Hence, subjectivity in interpretation is the fact and not the other way around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It's the standard line that anime producers say whenever they blatantly tease a same-gender couple, but don't want to make it canon because of a unique sort of homophobia--if they make the relationship "real" then it might offend straight fans who find the characters attractive, so they only hint at it for the subtle fetishization. They may not even do this intentionally. Voice actors from Madoka said very similar things; even after "that" scene in Rebellion they were reluctant to say anything about romance, only calling it "possessive." Sound Euphonium, same story.

A good litmus test for this is, if the characters were opposite genders, would people assume they had feelings for each other? Because we Westerners have issues with this, too--the most subtle of hints will make practically everyone jump to romance when it's a boy and a girl (something like Hyouka, for example), but if they're the same gender they pretty much have to make out on-camera to get everyone on the same page. (*cough* Yuri On Ice *cough*) I'm not calling you homophobic if you don't think Ange and Princess are a couple, just to be clear; but our society still very much is, and that influences how we interpret things.

Because of all that, death of the author definitely is in effect here. This all-too-common issue with anime was my one gripe about this show, but I have no problem ignoring what the authors have to say about it. And if we're lucky enough to get a season 2, maybe they'll change their minds.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Nah, death of the author is hogwash. When the author doesn't provide exactly to some people's demands, they become bitter and salty and scream death of the author in an attempt to give their fanon some validity it will never have. It is an attempt to elevate fan fiction to the authoritative level of original work. While fan fiction is good and ok, trying to make weird claims about it isn't.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Nah, death of the author is hogwash. When the author doesn't provide exactly to some people's demands, they become bitter and salty and scream death of the author in an attempt to give their fanon some validity it will never have. It is an attempt to elevate fan fiction to the authoritative level of original work. While fan fiction is good and ok, trying to make weird claims about it isn't.

There are many influential authors who themselves subscribe to death of the author. If you think it's hogwash, that's fine, but it is extremely limiting, creatively and thematically, if you need a creator to tell you exactly what they meant and won't except alternate interpretations of anything. Media isn't made by computers just yet, and if it gets to that point, it won't be interesting anymore.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
As for my opinion on the relationship in the show. I've never heard someone call another person "turtledove" outside of romantic interest personally, but maybe it is used in common speech by some. However there were in my opinion a good amount of other nods, like Ange implying there's someone that she might romantically be interested in, but she doesn't say who that might be, this is the scene on the beach at the end of the series. If Ange doesn't like the Princess and is straight then what guy in the series does she like? One of the barely a character dudes that works at Head Quarters? There's a bunch of other examples I could go into here and heck I could probably write an essay. But since the creator of the series said that they intended only friendship between both females, most people will only insult me for seeing the romantic connections. So I don't get the relationship and I told I'm reading to much into it, along with various insults. I love anime communities in times like these.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Alternatively it's a wink and a nudge to say they are together it is odd since 3hz also did flip flappers
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5