• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime TV Ranking: September 17–November 25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Why? It's not even that good. Then again, compared to the competition, this has been a pretty slow season for good new anime.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Average Household Rating. So, who wants to explain the meaning of that column?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

It simply means, on average, how many households out of 100 are watching it. A clearer column header would have been like, "% of Viewership", but it pretty much means that almost 18-20% of Japanese people watch Sazae-san, 8% watch One Piece, about 5.5% watch Gundam, and usually less than 5% watch Naruto, since it's barely making it onto the weekly lists.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:

It simply means, on average, how many households out of 100 are watching it. A clearer column header would have been like, "% of Viewership", but it pretty much means that almost 18-20% of Japanese people watch Sazae-san, 8% watch One Piece, about 5.5% watch Gundam, and usually less than 5% watch Naruto, since it's barely making it onto the weekly lists.

Actually, it's not the same thing as "% of Viewership." A show can get the same household rating as another show, but actually have more viewers if it has more people in each household watching simultaneously.

For example, a family show might have average ratings, but high viewership since more people are in front of the same TV in each household watching together. That's why Nielsen in the U.S. reports separate stats for the household ratings and the actual number of viewers.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Why? It's not even that good. Then again, compared to the competition, this has been a pretty slow season for good new anime.

Because its the only new show this season that is remotely mainstream. Quality has nothing to do with it.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
That's why Nielsen in the U.S. reports separate stats for the household ratings and the actual number of viewers.

Honestly, I do believe this, but I'd like to know how the hell they know how many people are watching a tv in a house at any given time? What if there are two tvs in the house, both watching the same program, 3 people in one room, 2 in the other... obviously that's one household that's watching, but how do they know that there are 5 people watching, and not 1 per tv? Are they staring through the screen or something? This is part of the reason I don't trust ratings, because of the "Nielsen Families" that take part in the ratings system...
ghettoninja23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

Wow really, I actually like it better than most of the other Gundams. But then again, it is a matter of taste.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote
Yes! Way to go Gundam!!!!!!!!!! Win one for the Mecha fans!

To paraphrase a quote from The Boondocks "With this ranking, may all the hate and envy that shows like Clannad and EF have gathered now be passed on to you" Cool
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
Gundam 00 is making the top ten because well it's Gundam combined with it being in the Dokuru time slot. It should be out rating everything else this season that's popular on the fan sub scene because the majority of that stuff airs after midnight. If something as popular as the Gundam franchise with a golden timeslot like Dokuru can't out rate anime shows airing from 1 am to 3 am than something is wrong.

I personally find the rating for Moyashimon much more impressive though since it airs after midnight comapred to Dokuru time slot of 6pm. Also Kekkaishi being removed from airing before Detective Conan to a grave yard shift has helped too since it was pulling in 7-9% regularly which would've knocked Gundam 00 out of the top ten for the last two weeks.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-10-09/yatterman-remake-to-take-kekkaishi's-golden-timeslot

Yatterman remake is going to air this coming winter season which should easily find a place in the top ten. Also Season 4 of Major (airs same time as Gundam 00 and is the main reason for the Dokuru slot slipping in ratings in addition to shows not suitable for it being placed there) starts that season as well and since its season 3 reruns are usually only 1% behind Gundam 00 I wouldn't be surprised if the new season starts to out rate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1