• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Nintendo Gone Wild

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueHaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
On a note for The World Ends With You Switch port, it will most likely contain another 7 days for the story (or at least that's how it was advertised in the secret secret ending for the android port). If so, it will basically be another 1/3-1/4 of new material.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Nintendo certainly knows how to stoke the gaming flames with its Direct events. A new Kirby game is always a good thing (Kirby RPG when?), and Ys VIII on Switch not only means more people can enjoy a fantastic entry in a long running series, but also the fact Adol predicted it would be released for said console with his constant battle cry of "Switch!" when you swap over to him.

I wonder what that Luigi's Mansion tease for Switch will be about.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I really don’t get why SFV is trying to make us focus on the story. We all know Ryu has an MMA glove for a brain. He won’t get with anyone.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, part of me wonders if Camelot will ever again be allowed to escape Nintendo sports game purgatory to create another Golden Sun. (Probably not).

At least Nintendo doesn't make them pretend that the current games they make are the only ones they've made in their existence like they done with Intelligent Systems and Fire Emblem

Beatdigga wrote:
I really don’t get why SFV is trying to make us focus on the story. We all know Ryu has an MMA glove for a brain. He won’t get with anyone.

Which is interesting as Sakura isn't in V's story proper so anything there in is mostly irrelevant.... unless Capcom decides to retain it somewhere down the road....once they get around to making a proper sequel to three instead of more games that further make the continuity confusing.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
How is the Switch a bigger base than the PS4? Ys was released on the Vita and PS4, and last time I checked the ps4 is nearing 70 million owners.

I mean I will probably pick up the switch version, but the Switch and Nintendo is pretty quickly eclipsing the PS4/xbox one for most ports/rereleases. Thats not a terrible thing with something like TWEWY, since it was only available on the handheld before, but maybe they can work on some new games on the switch that aren't mario or zelda?
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll drop a 60FPS patch for The Zodiac Age on the PS4 Pro. It's not like the console couldn't handle it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Also in gaming news, they finally revealed Android 21 as a playable character in Dragon Ball FighterZ. And she's apparently Majin Buubs.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I still think they should've redesigned the logo for SNK Heroines. It makes it look like a game for little girls when it most definitely is not.

Also, this image:

Did anybody else see the lady on the upper-right corner and think she was gigantic and peeking up from behind the road?

Beatdigga wrote:

No, but it could be funny to see him try. The way I see it, a character like Ryu is best suited for comedy (but I don't think Capcom's story writers know this).

AiddonValentine wrote:
Also in gaming news, they finally revealed Android 21 as a playable character in Dragon Ball FighterZ. And she's apparently Majin Buubs.

Yeah, I'm still not entirely certain what that means about her as a character. I thought she was supposed to be a robot (or a cyborg) and a scientist. Now she's a Majin? Or am I confusing her with someone else?
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
How is the Switch a bigger base than the PS4? Ys was released on the Vita and PS4, and last time I checked the ps4 is nearing 70 million owners.
And also, Ys 8 is getting released on PC on January 30th, even if it was supposed to launch alongside the PS4/Vita version in English.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo Labo seems to bring cardboard creations to life with its reception to their designs and functions. Smile
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:32 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I still
No, but it could be funny to see him try. The way I see it, a character like Ryu is best suited for comedy (but I don't think Capcom's story writers know this).

Well between the fact at least canoncally speaking he's always been written to be a serious character as opposed to a comically serious character whereas outside of it they do some silly stuff with him like have him challenging a Kaiju in his ending to Puzzle Fighters as apart of his journey to fight strong warriors, they're somewhat aware of this.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Yeah, I'm still not entirely certain what that means about her as a character. I thought she was supposed to be a robot (or a cyborg) and a scientist. Now she's a Majin? Or am I confusing her with someone else?

No she's the same character just without the glasses, the tacky dress, and for some reason the ability to turn into a Buu Clone.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
So no mention of Hacker's Memory? Came out the same day as that Kirby game...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

We're not sure. The thing about the "Androids" in Dragon Ball is that the term is used really loosely to include a robot like 16 or a cyborg like 18. My guess (and this will probably be elaborated in the game) is that 21 is a female equivalent to Cell in that she's a chimeric hybrid of various organisms. She doesn't just have Majin traits either as she has pointed ears like a demon and a prehensile tail like Frieza.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
We're not sure. The thing about the "Androids" in Dragon Ball is that the term is used really loosely to include a robot like 16 or a cyborg like 18. My guess (and this will probably be elaborated in the game) is that 21 is a female equivalent to Cell in that she's a chimeric hybrid of various organisms. She doesn't just have Majin traits either as she has pointed ears like a demon and a prehensile tail like Frieza.

To be fair they are just called Jinzoningen in the Japanese, which means Artificial Human. Android has more specific connotations to robotics and machines specifically.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, all that about 21 sounds incredibly confusing now. So has she always been like that? Is she a chimera? Then again, I guess these are things that'll be explained in the game. Or not, I can never be sure.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well between the fact at least canoncally speaking he's always been written to be a serious character as opposed to a comically serious character whereas outside of it they do some silly stuff with him like have him challenging a Kaiju in his ending to Puzzle Fighters as apart of his journey to fight strong warriors, they're somewhat aware of this.

Yeah, I know Ryu is typically written as a serious character. I simply mean that I cannot take him seriously as a character due to his flat hot-bloodedness, and I would enjoy him as a character more if he were put in a comical role.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2