• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Jan 22-28 [2018-02-01]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
After the Rain is on this week's top ?!!

(Cries like a little girl) YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

As a IG fan (pretty sure that's a minority) , I am happy to see both of their subsidiary Wit Studio's shows this season (AMB and After the Rain) are on top 10 list.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Aww Clear Card not on top. not fair
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
StarFan13 wrote:

It is starting to lose steam, and there are better shows than it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
While I was expecting one of the newer shows to knock DBS out of the top three in the cumulative sooner rather than later and After the Rain to move up in the rankings, I thought it was going to be A Place Further or Clear Card that would have done it, given their heretofore closer ranking to DBS. Not that I’m complaining.

Nice to see Pop Team Epic moving up too, though I imagine that has less to do with the content per se than most people having already figured out whether they like the show or not at this point.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Nice to see Pop Team Epic moving up too, though I imagine that has less to do with the content per se than most people having already figured out whether they like the show or not at this point.

I agree with that. For the people who decide to stick with Pop Team Epic, more or less they have already get comfortable with their "semi-formulaic yet surprisingly funny and bizzare" anti-comedy style.

Although I do wonder how many people are willingly to stay until the end or just be done with it after the first half. Personally, it depends on how much free time I have AND which male VA are they casting Wink
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Engineering Nerd"]
zrnzle500 wrote:

Although I do wonder how many people are willingly to stay until the end or just be done with it after the first half.

I have only watched 2 episodes so far. Speaking only in term of drawing in viewers and making them stick around, they should not use that first episode. It's mostly just skits with no punchline and doing random references for reference sake where their idea of punchlines are just more randomness. It's pretty awful if someone doesn't think of the show's absurdity as inherently positive.

While I hate the first episode, episode 2 is actually quite enjoyable for me. While they follow some formula from the first episode the tone is already quite different. If they had tried to arrange some of the content from the second episode into the first they would be able to retain more viewers imo. And if the rest of the show is more like episode 2 or something else, then I can definitely see the show getting better.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Although I do wonder how many people are willingly to stay until the end or just be done with it after the first half.

I watched the french part subbed. Once.
flammie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Anyone want to explain to me how Laid Back Camp can go 12-10-8-7 in the weekly, but 12-12-10-11 in the cumulative?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Death March and Junji Ito are going to hang out in the bottom tiers the whole season. I wish they'd drop one of those and pick up reviewing Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, which is turning out to be a lot of fun, even if not top 10 material. It's pretty much the best thing I've seen this season that isn't a continuation, a CPDCT/SoL, or iyashikei. It's also the type of story that really lends itself to weekly review, since a lot of stuff happens every episode.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 am Reply with quote
I am actually surprised that Junji Ito Collection is at the bottom instead of the predicted Death March. I'm not watching it, but what I heard was that it was just a mediocre adaptation, is it actually that terrible to occupy the Chaos Dragon spot?

angelmcazares wrote:
StarFan13 wrote:

ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
^ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
StarFan13 wrote:

Well it's powered on nostalgia which definitely weaken quickly (how many have you picked up an old anime you loved and were super thrilled watching the first episode but quickly got bored and dropped it around ep 3). And I don't think anyone would actually argue that clear card is the best anime of the season, I sure haven't heard anyone do that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I am actually surprised that Junji Ito Collection is at the bottom instead of the predicted Death March. I'm not watching it, but what I heard was that it was just a mediocre adaptation, is it actually that terrible to occupy the Chaos Dragon spot?

For the last episodes covered by this entry, both Death March and Junji Ito weren’t far from some of the others towards the bottom this week. Going by the raw ratings, the last episode of Black Clover covered by this entry was actually lower than either Death March or Junji Ito (3.4 for BC 16 versus 3.7 for Death March 3 and 3.8 for Junji Ito 4). The most recent episode of BC isn’t much higher than those two scored last week - 3.8 as of posting. The relevant episodes of Beatless and Boruto were also at the same rating as Death March 3. While the last episodes of Death March and Junji Ito could be flukes, and they may well keep the bottom two cumulative spots, there isn’t much of a separation between the lower part of the rankings and the Chaos Dragon and near Chaos Dragon(s) unlike in most previous seasons. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the two managed to rank above the bottom two in the weekly rankings at some point.

I will agree with Gina that I would have preferred Tonkotsu Ramens being reviewed over Death March, as it has become a highlight of my Friday lineup and I concur that it would be apt for review like Gina said. Though it is more that I think James isn’t really a good fit for Death March and it is mainly causing friction with what fan base the show has - I can’t imagine it is huge but there is enough to give it not that good but still above Chaos Dragon level ratings. Not that there is a more amenable available option anyhow.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
I am ecstatic to see After the Rain dominating the ranks. It's by the far number 1 show this season I've been telling people to watch. It's pure beauty.

Also, glad to see March comes in like a lion also stayin' on top. Another gem that I recommend for friends or strangers alike, I have yet to start season 2 but I will get there eventually. Gotta save some juicy animes for when I'm havin' a bad day.

I have not watched A Place Further Than the Universe, but I definitely feel like I should. I'm probably missing out.

CC Sakura is my childhood, so happy to see it up there, even though it's generic overall in comparison, my nostalgia feels are tingling every time I start an episode and I get all giddy like I'm 10 again.

Violet Evergarden has been stunning to watch, despite the recent episode being a bit on the boring side for me, I did enjoy the last episode and I know that they're trying to build character development, I just hope it continues on this path because the character building is done very well.

Surprisingly, Kokkoku is up there. I've watched all the episodes and was shocked myself that it was really entertaining. How long can it hold out though? I'm not really sure, loving the plot even if it's harsh on the eyes in terms of it being splattered with browns and overall dark colors.

The rest is not so surprising. I'm actually satisfied with this top weekly, usually the one show I like is near the bottom and I'm wondering if I have horrible taste or not.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Looks like Death March and Junji Ito are going to hang out in the bottom tiers the whole season. I wish they'd drop one of those and pick up reviewing Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, which is turning out to be a lot of fun, even if not top 10 material. It's pretty much the best thing I've seen this season that isn't a continuation, a CPDCT/SoL, or iyashikei. It's also the type of story that really lends itself to weekly review, since a lot of stuff happens every episode.

Must have to agree with you there, I was really weary on even watching episode 3, and then a part of me felt like I'd have regretted not watching it once I was done with it. It's so entertaining to see characters back-stabbing one another and absolute chaos happening every so often. I think I'm going to stick with it, even if it goes down hill a bit, because the characters are likable and easy to hate all at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2