• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Marvel vs. Capcom's Seemingly Infinite Problems

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I could write an entire column's worth of text on how badly the ball was dropped with MVCI in so many ways, but it all comes down to three things: hubris, expecting the MvC legacy alone to carry the game in an eSports capacity, and being subjected to the whims of a parent company licensor that didn't have the best interests of its fans in mind.

This is just a neutral observation, but it feels like all people want to do is just complain that Infinite exists at all. The ire and "haha it sucks" comments began when people saw the first trailer and wouldn't shut up about how it looked. It just snowballed from there, and well, just look at the result:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/202465-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
You know what’s going to hurt Capcom fans, like in the soul?

When Spider-Man comes out for the PS4, it’s awesome and full of budget and good graphics and care for the source material, which will prove Infinite could have been great if someone had just given a damn.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty I feel like Infinite was yet another casualty in the great Disney-Fox pissing match. Seriously, the roster was completely gutted when the X-Men characters (+Deadpool) were excised and with that they were clearly struggling with the 3v3 format (at least until DBFZ proved you didn't need two school buses worth of fighters for 3v3). The game stankd of executive meddling so much I was surprised they didn't force the Inhumans on CAPCOM. And that's before getting into design. The Infinity Stones are gimmicky, the art style is awful, and the story mode is once again someone trying to copy what ASW did with Blazblue and Guilty Gear, but not doing it anywhere near as well. Best to just put the game to bed and play UMVC3 instead.

As for Yakuza 6, that sucks, but at least I have time to get through my backlog and figure out if I want to get Far Cry 5 or not.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I see Disney as the Anti-Midas, everything they touch turns to crap.

Quote:
MvCI wasn't the only snub, either: King of Fighters XIV and ARMS, both of which were at EVO Japan, also didn't get an invite this year, making me wonder if EVO Japan will become the official tournament for supporting games with smaller and/or more Asia-focused scenes moving forward.

America's obsession with Melee doesn't help, and I guess they need at least 1 western rep at EVO with either MK or lately Injustice.

Seriously though, why are Americans so obsessed with Melee?
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
In all honesty I feel like Infinite was yet another casualty in the great Disney-Fox pissing match. Seriously, the roster was completely gutted when the X-Men characters (+Deadpool) were excised and with that they were clearly struggling with the 3v3 format (at least until DBFZ proved you didn't need two school buses worth of fighters for 3v3). The game stankd of executive meddling so much I was surprised they didn't force the Inhumans on CAPCOM. And that's before getting into design. The Infinity Stones are gimmicky, the art style is awful, and the story mode is once again someone trying to copy what ASW did with Blazblue and Guilty Gear, but not doing it anywhere near as well. Best to just put the game to bed and play UMVC3 instead.

As for Yakuza 6, that sucks, but at least I have time to get through my backlog and figure out if I want to get Far Cry 5 or not.

They also handled the controversy in a stunningly awful manner. When asked about the lack of X-Men the respective answers given were "Well, the characters are just functions" and "People might not even remember the X-Men characters."

In a game where half the appeal is the inclusion of Marvel's characters, you really can't say characters are irrelevant and are just gameplay functions. That's kinda going against the entire point of the series. And you can't seriously expect fans to believe nobody remembers the X-Men characters when the same year the game came out, we had a smash hit X-Men movie that is now an Academy Award nominee! And a hit Deadpool movie the year before!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:

They also handled the controversy in a stunningly awful manner. When asked about the lack of X-Men the respective answers given were "Well, the characters are just functions" and "People might not even remember the X-Men characters."

In a game where half the appeal is the inclusion of Marvel's characters, you really can't say characters are irrelevant and are just gameplay functions. That's kinda going against the entire point of the series. And you can't seriously expect fans to believe nobody remembers the X-Men characters when the same year the game came out, we had a smash hit X-Men movie that is now an Academy Award nominee! And a hit Deadpool movie the year before!

Yeah, that was also really bad. I'm not blaming Capcom that much though. They were merely shackled to the unenviable task of having to deal with Marvel's BS oversight which of course carried the stink of Ike Perlmutter (Marvel's CEO who you can blame for the lack of minority and female representation in the Marvel films and for why the X-Men and Fantastic Four have been shafted in the comics). That's not the kind of environment that breeds creativity.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Seriously though, why are Americans so obsessed with Melee?
Because Brawl had tripping and Sm4sh isn't the same...

Wasn't surprised by Melee, wish people could see the appeal of something more streamlined but when you're mechanics are so unique, people want you around.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite is super fun but the game is pandering and lacks appeal. Plus, Dragonball has taken the totem as the hot new team fighter.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Not just Marvel vs.Capcom: Infinite, King of Fighters 14, and ARMS, but no Pokkén Tournament either, which means zero Switch representation among the games there. That being said, two of the three are 3-D fighting games, and those have traditionally been lower priority at EVO than 2-D.

Regarding SEGA fans and Puyo Puyo Tetris: If they're like Sonic fans, they won't be happy until SEGA does specifically what they want the company to do. Also, Sonic fans are never happy. Do you know which group of people hate Freedom Planet more than any other? The Sonic fans, and it only grew when Sonic Mania came out, as some people from Freedom Planet worked on Sonic Mania.

By the way, though the game's been selling pretty well, I've always had a hard time finding people in the non-ranked modes, and the few of them all seem crowded around Versus and Swap and leave the other modes mostly empty.

belvadeer wrote:
This is just a neutral observation, but it feels like all people want to do is just complain that Infinite exists at all. The ire and "haha it sucks" comments began when people saw the first trailer and wouldn't shut up about how it looked. It just snowballed from there, and well, just look at the result:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/202465-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite

That's a general trend that's popped up in the past few years. I saw it happen with Metroid: Other M and any Animal Crossing game that's not a main-series game.

More than ever, you have to sell your game's appeal right from the get-go. Teasers can get away with it, but once you start showing off gameplay footage, people will get their first impression, and in Internet Time, if they aren't impressed by then, that will be their ONLY impression.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
When Spider-Man comes out for the PS4, it’s awesome and full of budget and good graphics and care for the source material, which will prove Infinite could have been great if someone had just given a damn.

Which isn't really saying much considering it's not a fighting game and the last few Spider-Man games have been trash so it definitely falls upon the Spider-Man game to be really good especially with the Arkham Trilogy (+origins) having pretty much raised the bar for what single player superhero games should be like .

Watanabefan wrote:
In a game where half the appeal is the inclusion of Marvel's characters, you really can't say characters are irrelevant

If they're Professor Xavier or Original Cyclops you apparently can.

Watanabefan wrote:
, we had a smash hit X-Men movie that is now an Academy Award nominee!

I didn't know X-Men Apocalypse was that good in spite of mixed reviews [/sarcasm]

ParaChomp wrote:
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite is super fun but the game is pandering and lacks appeal. Plus, Dragonball has taken the totem as the hot new team fighter.

....It's a crossover fighter/licensed game it's supposed to "pander".
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Assuming the Disney/Fox merger will go through, can't they just partially salvage MvCI with an update that includes Wolverine, Magneto and other X-Men characters?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
....It's a crossover fighter/licensed game it's supposed to "pander".
Then make it pander harder.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Assuming the Disney/Fox merger will go through, can't they just partially salvage MvCI with an update that includes Wolverine, Magneto and other X-Men characters?

If Crapcom had waited a year they would have been just fine. As it stands it is way too late to fix all the issues.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I see Disney as the Anti-Midas, everything they touch turns to crap.

Ya know,
A couple of years ago I MIGHT have disagreed but after seeing what's happened with Star Wars (ultra-kiddified and dumbed to death with politics and scripts that make the Prequels look like classics!) and what happened with Marvel Comics (bad comics, bad animation; even the live-action films have mostly lost their luster now) after Disney bought these properties I don't think I can disagree now!

I think I'll pass on the next Indiana Jones film which is their future reboot project.

The Han Solo movie apparently hasn't gone that well... I have to say after my experience with TLJ I somehow doubt I'll bother to watch that movie in theaters.

Could mention all the sequels that they DIDN'T use to do all the time, too, but nah, Disney's a "creative" company, aren't they? We really need Toy Story 10,000, Cars 55, and Incredibles 3!

And I leave the room not mentioning LOUDLY that they plagiarized The Lion King (1994) from Kimba, the White Lion (1967ish) which was made about 30 years earlier and DID air on American TV!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Ya know, A couple of years ago I MIGHT have disagreed but after seeing what's happened with Star Wars (ultra-kiddified and dumbed to death with politics and scripts that make the Prequels look like classics!)

This acts as if the original trilogy was high art with it's weak writing and sub par acting.

GeorgeC wrote:
and what happened with Marvel Comics (bad comics, bad animation; even the live-action films have mostly lost their luster now)

These were problems long before Disney snatched up Marvel.

GeorgeC wrote:

Could mention all the sequels that they DIDN'T use to do all the time, too, but nah, Disney's a "creative" company, aren't they? We really need Toy Story 10,000, Cars 55, and Incredibles 3!

......I didn't know we were getting a 3rd Incredibles movie when the 2nd hasn't come out yet.

GeorgeC wrote:

And I leave the room not mentioning LOUDLY that they plagiarized The Lion King (1994) from Kimba, the White Lion (1967ish) which was made about 30 years earlier and DID air on American TV!

But no one remembers nor cares about to say nothing of ultimately being different in other aspects as I've looked into.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
The MCU has made more money than the GDP’s of several European nations.

Crapcom gave the whole thing less money than a DLC for SFV.

Capcom defenders can go “Muh X-Men!” all they want, but there were alternatives. Blade, Ms. Marvel, Vision, etc, etc. But Crapcom being super cheap gave people none of that, then went and filled its half of the roster with such luminaries as Rad Spencer.

The fault lies entirely with Capcom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3