• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Batman Ninja Anime's English Trailer Reveals Dub Cast, Home Video Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Alright, Roger Craig Smith reprises his role from Arkham Origins. No Mark Hamill, no Steve Blum (he really wants to play Batman), but at least Tom Kenny, Yuri Lowenthal, Grey Griffin, and Tara Strong are there.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
He's also voiced him for the Batman Unlimited video movies, the ones based specifically on a wacky toy line.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Wait they already have a home video release coming? Is it not coming to theaters at all?
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wait they already have a home video release coming? Is it not coming to theaters at all?

DC do that with their animated movies most of the time
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Seeeee! DC can look awesome! I hope the upcoming Aquaman is this insane Anime hyper
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Roger Craig Smith was a great Batman in Arkham Origins, and he knows how to do the anime thing pretty well since he did a good job as Goto in the Patlabor movie redubs. Looking forward to this.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This looks fun so I'll be watching this.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...

Yet another Batman direct-to-video I'm going to pass on.
I might watch it once but I certainly won't buy the video.

The CG character animation alone is cringe-worthy. What is wrong with DRAWING people with a pencil all of a sudden? That is one of the big issues I had with the last two Batman animated projects with Adam West. They used this kind of "digital character animation" and it just doesn't look good. It screams "MACHINE!"

DC/WB animation hasn't been good with these animated films for years now. You have to go back before 2012 to see any consistency that's better than just mediocre. The only good news? Marvel's been far worse with their animated projects for a lot longer.

Frankly, I liked the look of the 1960s Batman manga better than this and they DID partially adapt a strip from that in an episode of the late 2000s Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV series.

If they wanted to do more Batman as anime, I would have preferred an adaptation of Batman: Child of Dreams by Kia Asamiya DRAWN BY PEOPLE. That felt like a Batman story. This new "ninja thing" just feels like they threw a 13-year-old at the project and this is what he came up with! I've known 13-year-old's with that mentality. This will not play with the majority of the 20-something and 30-something fans and I doubt you'll win many kids with this even if they were the target of this film.

This ninja stuff is just way over the top and they've overplayed this kind of thing. Batman -- DC as a whole -- played in anime form has not gone over well.

Believe me when I say the majority of traditional comic book fans, even the guys who do tolerate anime, are not going to like this.

Man, when I thought DC couldn't be more out of touch, they've proved me wrong again!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
When I asked for a Batman anime, this was the last thing I wanted.
"An anime company producing a direct Batman adaptation". Easy.
"Direct cultural appropriation"- no, bad producers!

I understand the thinking "Batman's like a ninja so make him a ninja" but he's neither the shonen flashy highly visible ninja or the basic masked assassin type. A masked hero in a dark costume who fights and throw sharp objects.... wait, was he reverse imported somehow to make your friendly neighborhood ninja?
Eddy564

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Hmmm...

Yet another Batman direct-to-video I'm going to pass on.
I might watch it once but I certainly won't buy the video.

The CG character animation alone is cringe-worthy. What is wrong with DRAWING people with a pencil all of a sudden? That is one of the big issues I had with the last two Batman animated projects with Adam West. They used this kind of "digital character animation" and it just doesn't look good. It screams "MACHINE!"

DC/WB animation hasn't been good with these animated films for years now. You have to go back before 2012 to see any consistency that's better than just mediocre. The only good news? Marvel's been far worse with their animated projects for a lot longer.

Frankly, I liked the look of the 1960s Batman manga better than this and they DID partially adapt a strip from that in an episode of the late 2000s Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV series.

If they wanted to do more Batman as anime, I would have preferred an adaptation of Batman: Child of Dreams by Kia Asamiya DRAWN BY PEOPLE. That felt like a Batman story. This new "ninja thing" just feels like they threw a 13-year-old at the project and this is what he came up with! I've known 13-year-old's with that mentality. This will not play with the majority of the 20-something and 30-something fans and I doubt you'll win many kids with this even if they were the target of this film.

This ninja stuff is just way over the top and they've overplayed this kind of thing. Batman -- DC as a whole -- played in anime form has not gone over well.

Believe me when I say the majority of traditional comic book fans, even the guys who do tolerate anime, are not going to like this.

Man, when I thought DC couldn't be more out of touch, they've proved me wrong again!
You’re doing a whole lot of projecting. Speak for yourself or don’t speak at all.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
I have always seen Batman as an absurdity hiding in plain sight. A billionaire battling thugs in a bat costume is a concept only a child could take seriously without suspending disbelief, yet mainstream adult viewers nonetheless play along.
"Batman, but he's a ninja" is par for the course in this respect. Someone born of a childish flight of fancy only deserves to be further modified in the same fanciful fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I have always seen Batman as an absurdity hiding in plain sight. A billionaire battling thugs in a bat costume is a concept only a child could take seriously without suspending disbelief, yet mainstream adult viewers nonetheless play along.
"Batman, but he's a ninja" is par for the course in this respect. Someone born of a childish flight of fancy only deserves to be further modified in the same fanciful fashion.

I can neither agree or disagree as my favorite Batman is the Adam West one, the only Batman representation that combines every aspect of the character up to the point of his adaptation without rejection anything.

Once you get to the "Batman was never camp" camp you get people who don't get the joke of a guy dressed in dark colors with a sidekick dressed in red, yellow and green. And those shorts... Those short shorts... Those tight short shorts...

Having recently watch their latest abomination, Batman in Victorian... Gotham?... where he chases Jack the Ripper, I was hoping for a work that was more Japanese animation and less "Animation set in Japan." [drops megaphone] I don't think we're loud enough. [Raises megaphone] "This is Japanese Animation.ANIME. Set In Japan. With Ninjas. Japanese Ninjas. And the Joker. And the Joker is a Ninja!"

Honestly, he reminds me more of Yoshimitsu but that's probably just me.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
A shame about the sub par frame rate and the script looks about as bland and overstaffed as expected, so my hype is near nonexistent anymore. Yet Gorilla Grodd is featured, so that´s something.
This will also be the 4th Bat related WB toon film of 2018 with the just released Scooby-Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Gotham by Gaslight and next month´s Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.
Unlikely the last too... but i ain´t complaining. Especially as Superman will soon have 2 solo films about his death and resurrection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
One thing I'm a little worried is the length of the movie. I hope with all these characters, the movie is long enough so it doesn't feel really overstuffed.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Alright, Roger Craig Smith reprises his role from Arkham Origins. No Mark Hamill, no Steve Blum (he really wants to play Batman), but at least Tom Kenny, Yuri Lowenthal, Grey Griffin, and Tara Strong are there.

I'm honestly surprised neither Steve Blum or Matthew Mercer have played Batman. Matt's played Robin and Deadshot, so he has been in other DC stuff, though.

Roger Craig Smith has amazing range if he's able to pull off both Batman and Sonic the Hedgehog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2