• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2018 Pokémon Film's Trailer Reveals Title, New Characters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
Good trailer. Love the title which the trailer focused on. Going to call it MoM now. lol at green haired dude looking like Kabaneri's MC (Wit of course).

Great article, btw. Now that's accurate reporting.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll bring back Lugia's song in the dub. Not holding my breath though.
Gamlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
First movie is basically pseudo Indigo Legue, this one is Pseudo Orange Islands arc.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
SINNOH CONFIRMED?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Let's hope this movie is its own thing. And as far from what I'm seeing, this looks very promising.

I thought that I Choose You really sucked, especially because of the fact that Misty and Brock were absent from this retelling (not to mention replacing them with two travel companions with tragic backstories was a bad idea). The biggest crime that movie committed was having Pikachu speak. I know it was supposed to represent the heart-tugging bond between Ash and Pikachu - a crucial plot point of the anime series as well, but it was totally unnecessary.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to this. I'm enjoying the alternate continuity of the new movies, even if I Choose You didn't always make the best choices. It's a good way to mix nostalgia with something new.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
Definitely looking forward to this. I'm enjoying the alternate continuity of the new movies, even if I Choose You didn't always make the best choices. It's a good way to mix nostalgia with something new.

Personally, I think if you really want to see how Ash began his journey, you're better off watching the original series. I want to see this new one though. I'm really hoping there's a Pikachu short attached to it too. They haven't done any Pikachu shorts in a LONG time.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Let's hope this movie is its own thing. And as far from what I'm seeing, this looks very promising.

I thought that I Choose You really sucked, especially because of the fact that Misty and Brock were absent from this retelling (not to mention replacing them with two travel companions with tragic backstories was a bad idea). The biggest crime that movie committed was having Pikachu speak. I know it was supposed to represent the heart-tugging bond between Ash and Pikachu - a crucial plot point of the anime series as well, but it was totally unnecessary.
So you want the new movie to be it's own original thing yet criticize I Choose You for doing original storylines?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

So you want the new movie to be it's own original thing yet criticize I Choose You for doing original storylines?

its definitely a contradiction if i see one.

Gamlin wrote:
First movie is basically pseudo Indigo Legue, this one is Pseudo Orange Islands arc.

not really. from the looks of the trailer, its more or less will be taking place in a San Fransisco like city ,so other than the appearance of lugia, its highly unlikely it will be a psuedo orange island like scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I know, it sounds confusing. Here's the thing, the problem I had with I Choose You was they were billing it as a retelling of the start of Indigo League, and it ended up being a totally different thing outside of the opening sequence. Not to mention the travel companions they replaced Misty and Brock with had really depressing backstories.

I apologize if anybody is offended about what I thought of the film, this is solely my opinion. I'm just hoping that Everyone's Story is a lot more satisfying, that's all.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
My only real concern about this new movie is they seem to be cramming in a lot of new original characters into a single 90 minute movie. The character development was kind of mixed for me with I Choose You though I enjoyed the film as a whole. So hopefully they'll be able to find a decent balance with so many new characters in this new film. I do love the new art style a lot and I can't wait to see it when it comes out.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I guess Entei will be in the next one....
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
My only real concern about this new movie is they seem to be cramming in a lot of new original characters into a single 90 minute movie. The character development was kind of mixed for me with I Choose You though I enjoyed the film as a whole. So hopefully they'll be able to find a decent balance with so many new characters in this new film. I do love the new art style a lot and I can't wait to see it when it comes out.

I have a feeling the filmmakers wanted the movie to be divisive, and it did a good job of being just that.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I know, it sounds confusing. Here's the thing, the problem I had with I Choose You was they were billing it as a retelling of the start of Indigo League, and it ended up being a totally different thing outside of the opening sequence. Not to mention the travel companions they replaced Misty and Brock with had really depressing backstories.

I apologize if anybody is offended about what I thought of the film, this is solely my opinion. I'm just hoping that Everyone's Story is a lot more satisfying, that's all.

Their backstories by themselves weren't the problem. It's just within the movies narrative, they didn't really mean anything since the characters didn't develop. They were also forgotten about after the scene ended as if nothing had happened. I didn't mind them, I was too busy rolling my eyes at the "Rainbow Hero" nonsense. You could have dropped them and just had Ash interacting with Cross as he did get development that tied into the narrative.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
All in all, I Choose You pretty much stunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2