• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Frnxx fr th Mmrs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I think they could maybe limit the number of categories a single show can be nominated in, or else limit the number of times you can vote for one show. With the way polls work online, it's almost inevitable that if one show with an active fanbase gets lots of nominations, it will win them.

edit: see that came up in the twitter responses.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of the Crunchyroll Awards, I would advocate a multi-regional approach in the fashion of Live Aid or Wrestlemania 2. Hiring small venues in Los Angeles and Tokyo, and joining the two via a video link, would probably be cheaper than flying a swathe of the Japanese industry over the Pacific for a single evening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I was happy that Made in Abyss won the anime of the year award but with the judges choosing the nominations that makes the Crunchyroll Awards closer to an industry awards show. That is why Rem will likely be the first sexy anime girl and the last sexy anime girl to get nominated for Best Girl due to the feminist backlash after she won in 2017. Some people will say that is overly cynical but the idea that sexy anime girls are sexist is being pushed by feminists on social media.

As for DARLING in the FRANXX while Hiro and Zero Two knew that the previous squad had been wiped out none of the others knew about it until episode 8. That is why Zorome thought that the previous generation of parasites had become adults.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac and Jacob, since you brought it up again in the intro, Gundam Wing is longer than most series (or any?) I recall you reviewing on ANNcast to date, so it's amazing you clearly challenged yourselves to get through it. So now that you've had a week to digest, I just would like to ask: was the series what you thought it would be like based on its reputation or your older impressions, did it simply feel like a typical anime of its era or something more, and do you feel Toonami accurately portrayed it in its rather famous promotional videos (which are apparently still used as marketing reference points to this day by Adult Swim)?

Toonami TV Series Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcCB4fze94
Toonami Character Bios Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnWDbLk7p7E
Toonami Endless Waltz Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSAe5MMJZ2w

Thanks again!
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I was totally fine with the Crunchyroll anime awards this year, especially considering its only its 2nd year. The nominees for the most part were much better, and I expected the MHA sweep. Its a very popular, loved show, and I won't be surprised to see it heavily represented this year either if Season 3 is also good.

I'm pretty sure I share Zac's sentiment 100% regarding Darling in the FRANXX. I will watch it week to week, despite not having a whole lot of faith in it. They've got to go a bit further thematically at some point during the rest of the two-cour runtime, right?

I really liked how the latest twist in The Ancient Magus Bride involved the antagonist without him just tricking everyone completely with them falling for it in a blameless manner. Elias and Chise would have still had that fight whether he was there or not, he just used their choices to his advantage. On Elias's decision, if it was just him, I would see it more as his own failing of jealousy, but the fact that Ruth supported him, and Silky didn't try to stop it - it seems like the priorities or morals of the fairy folk might also be different than humans? Really love this show, and I'm really glad I tuned in despite the initial premise seeming a bit creepy to me.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
A celebrity I’d be surprised to learn likes anime? Easy; Hayao Miyazaki.
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Never_Know_Best wrote:
A celebrity I’d be surprised to learn likes anime? Easy; Hayao Miyazaki.

this made me laugh. thank you Laughing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
On the Crunchyroll Awards: I was pleased with the nominations and winners for the most part. The most important thing in my opinion is to nail the nominations. Things like putting series and movies in the same category and having a show receive multiple nominations in the same category should be eliminated. And limiting a show to 5 nominations should be the easiest thing to fix. I hope we see significant improvements next year.

On anime burnout: I fortunately have never had anime burnout. Lately I have been following 15 shows each season. I am usually really engaged with the 4-5 shows I like the most. There are 7-8 shows that are appealing enough to keep up with, but I do not engage much with them. I usually come across 3 crappy and/or boring shows, and I just go through the motions with them. I love anime, but most of what is produced is mediocre and uninspired; the best way for me to avoid burnout is to do not give much of a crap to crappy anime.

And thanks Jacob and Zac for your perspectives on the director of MMO Junkie.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
It seems like maybe Jacob missed it, but the judge votes were also weighted 50/50 with the popular vote. So this wasn't judges curating the options and then the public voting. It was the judges curating the options and then the public and the judges both voting and those votes being equally compared. That's how Girls' Last Tour and Made in Abyss won. As well as probably March Comes In Like A Lion. I personally thought it was balanced quite well and was a massive step up from last year.
Seeing CR run through the judge votes on twitch the week after the regular awards show, I was pretty happy with most of the judge choices. Though maybe not LotL winning best animation. It deserves best CGI, for sure, but it seems weird to also have it win best animation. That's like winning the same award twice.

Last edited by relyat08 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
I feel like burnout is less common these days as anime is more ubiquitous on the various streaming services replacing cable television. Namely, it’s a lot less effort to get the stuff, and a lot easier to pivot to other forms of entertainment. Less expended energy means less burnout and a more varied entertainment plate.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Zac and Jacob, since you brought it up again in the intro, Gundam Wing is longer than most series (or any?) I recall you reviewing on ANNcast to date, so it's amazing you clearly challenged yourselves to get through it.

Tied (exactly!) with Clannad at 49 episodes and a movie.

Of course, which one felt longer is another question entirely. The Sanc Kingdom falls in less time than it takes to fix up Kotomi’s garden.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It seems like maybe Jacob missed it, but the judge votes were also weighted 50/50 with the popular vote. So this wasn't judges curating the options and then the public voting. It was the judges curating the options and then the public and the judges both voting and those votes being equally compared. That's how Girls' Last Tour and Made in Abyss won. As well as probably March Comes In Like A Lion. I personally thought it was balanced quite well and was a massive step up from last year.
Seeing CR run through the judge votes on twitch the week after the regular awards show, I was pretty happy with most of the judge choices. Though maybe not LotL winning best animation. It deserves best CGI, for sure, but it seems weird to also have it win best animation. That's like winning the same award twice.

But didn't Tsuki ga Kirei get the judge's pick for best slice of life? I'm not saying the judge's votes didn't help Girls' Last Tour but there seems like there was more to it than that. I would have liked to see the percentages each nominee got, at the very least for the popular vote.

Agreed on Lustrous being picked for best animation. CG was definitely correct but both would be a little redundant.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
LightningCount wrote:
Zac and Jacob, since you brought it up again in the intro, Gundam Wing is longer than most series (or any?) I recall you reviewing on ANNcast to date, so it's amazing you clearly challenged yourselves to get through it.

Of course, which one felt longer is another question entirely. The Sanc Kingdom falls in less time than it takes to fix up Kotomi’s garden.

Wing felt way longer. Clannad was more pleasant by comparison, if only due to the relative simplicity of the story.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
invalidname wrote:
LightningCount wrote:

Wing felt way longer. Clannad was more pleasant by comparison, if only due to the relative simplicity of the story.

And you know what? It turns out I'm wrong about Wing and Clannad being tied for the lead, because I just remembered you guys also did Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (with Mike Toole, I think?) and that one is 64 episodes (plus a movie and 4 OVAs, but I don't recall if you covered those).
Coelodonta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
On Elias's decision, if it was just him, I would see it more as his own failing of jealousy, but the fact that Ruth supported him, and Silky didn't try to stop it - it seems like the priorities or morals of the fairy folk might also be different than humans?

Exactly! Only looking at it as a matter of relationship and jealousy is an all too antropocentric point of view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2