• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Re:Zero OVA Reveals Subtitle, Visual, Fall 2018 Theatrical Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely excited for more Re:Zero anime. I imagine season 2 will be announced around the time of the OVA's theatrical run. And the article might want to add that CR-Funi has already scheduled the disc release of part 1 of the series for June 19.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will be included in part 2 of the Crunchyroll/Funimation home video release. Probably not, but the release has been delayed so long and is finally coming out around the same time as this...
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I know that as I am nearing 70, that I'm not as quick as you kids these days, but what the hell is an OAV/OVA theatrical release? It's either an OVA/OAV or it's a theatrical movie release. Even ANN's own description contradicts the title and this article.

Anime News Network wrote:
Original Animation Video & Original Video Animation (OAV / OVA) are interchangeable terms used in Japan to refer to animation that is released directly to the video market without first going through a theatrical release or television broadcast. In the beginning OAV was used in Japan.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
I know that as I am nearing 70, that I'm not as quick as you kids these days, but what the hell is an OAV/OVA theatrical release? It's either an OVA/OAV or it's a theatrical movie release. Even ANN's own description contradicts the title and this article.

Original Animation Video & Original Video Animation (OAV / OVA) are interchangeable terms used in Japan to refer to animation that is released directly to the video market without first going through a theatrical release or television broadcast. In the beginning OAV was used in Japan.

My guess would be that it's either a) not feature length, which led them to characterize it as an OVA as opposed to a film, or b) it was originally planned as on OVA and the theatrical release was only added later (the more probable of the two).
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

It was originally made as an OVA and the original trailer for it has one of the characters saying that's exactly what it is. The theatrical release happened later. Note that it'll be releasing on video the day of the theatrical release, so it's not heading to a theater first, but rather simultaneously with that release, which doesn't contradict the ANN definition either.
This has been happening with a lot of OVA and other projects lately. Fans really enjoy theater releases, especially since they often involve special merchandise, special videos before and/or after with the staff and voice cast, or they get to meet the staff in person, depending on the theater. I've gone to a few and they're hype as all heck, considering everyone is a fan and that mob mentality really sweeps you along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1