• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PS4 Version of Clannad to Have English Text Option

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
My God! What a horrible designer! I can not believe they were based on this designer. Apparently on the TV series they've improved a bit. But it's really awful. And there are still people complaining about the current designer of the studio's works.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming that the English text is based on the Sekai Project script?

It would be pretty cool to own it on PS4 as well to let is sit next to my other PS4 games, but not sure if I want to spend the cash.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool. I'd rather have it on Switch so I can play Clannad in bed, though. This post also reminded me why I never do Kickstarters anymore. They released it in Nov 2015 on steam but didn't ship the physical version until freaking March 2016.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I have this thanks to Sekai Project.. unless there is something different it's just another port. So I will pass..
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
My God! What a horrible designer! I can not believe they were based on this designer. Apparently on the TV series they've improved a bit. But it's really awful. And there are still people complaining about the current designer of the studio's works.
It's not awful. The art is fine it's is a different style. Plenty of anime styles exist with large eyes. It is anime after all and not all of it is the same.The game is over 10 years old by the way and I happen to love the art. Also, what do you mean people are complaining about the current designer of the studio's works? Na-Ga? Hardly.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:

Itaru Hinoue, the artist who drew Clannad and the other Key works, has been drawing like this for well over two decades. Prior to the works for Key from the company she helped form, she also did the character designs for some of Tactics' debut games including Dosei and Moon. If you were aware of Kanon back in the day you knew it was her work simply because you likely would have came across Dosei or Moon artwork from most of those old visual novel gallery pages that used to liter the internet (remember those obscure sections of the Anime Web Turnpike, or places like GalleryBlue?...). That's saying a lot for a character designer whom literally was having designs published for circa DOS titles (most visual novels well into the later 90s and even through Y2K still ran on DOS). There's not a lot of 90s visual novel artists whom have "survived" to modern times.

If anything, unlike a lot of similar artists that have been drawing for the past 20 to 30 years her style has not evolved. Depending on what side of the fence you're on it can be a good thing for artistic consistency or possibly a bad thing for not adapting to modern styles. It should be noted however that Kanon got two TV series, Kanon 2002 with character designs in her trademark visual novel style and Kanon 2006 which had character designs similar to Clannad. Personally I enjoy Kanon 2006 more, if anything for the more in-depth story provided by over double the episodes over the prior version.

She also no longer works for Key. She left the company in '16 and is currently part of a - I believe - Kickstarter project to release a visual novel.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Pretty cool. I'd rather have it on Switch so I can play Clannad in bed, though. This post also reminded me why I never do Kickstarters anymore. They released it in Nov 2015 on steam but didn't ship the physical version until freaking March 2016.

I didn't back a high tier (just shikishi) and kind of lost track of how the campaign was progressing. Backers got their copies, then? That is good news! Unfortunately, other anime-related Kickstarters have fared worse...I fear with the exclusion of AnimEgo and NISA, I might not back another one either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1