• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV Films [2007-12-09]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
That's it? After sitting on Gurren Lagann for nearly a full year we just get a "Maybe you'll see some early at some point in the near future?" Anime cry I was hoping for at least a cast list. I guess using the R2 DVD covers is cool.

Also, I can't wait for 5 Centimeters. Do we have a release date? Last I heard it was sometime in December/January. I really like the casting decisions for the dub.

Speaking of dubs, the English Cast for Gurren Lagann has Chris Patton listed for Rossiu. What source was this confirmed from?
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
No new licenses from ADV is a huge disappointment, they're had an incredible year in terms of getting new titles and I thought they'd end it off with atleast one new license. Oh well, 2008 looks very good for them though. I'll continue to hope that they license Kemonozume soon. Very Happy

Seif wrote:
That's it? After sitting on Gurren Lagann for nearly a full year we just get a "Maybe you'll see some early at some point in the near future?" Anime cry I was hoping for at least a cast list. I guess using the R2 DVD covers is cool.

How are they "sitting on it" if they've only had Gurren Lagann for about 5 months (they announced their license for it at Anime Expo)? They've continuously said it'll be out in early 2008 and it will be (so get your preorder in Razz).
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Disregard that. For some reason I was under then impression that it was announced in March. I must have had it confused with the initial air date. My mistake.

I still was holding out for a cast list. Alas.

[Edit: Vulgarity removed. - Keonyn]

Last edited by Seif on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

Also, I can't wait for 5 Centimeters. Do we have a release date? Last I heard it was sometime in December/January. I really like the casting decisions for the dub.

Speaking of dubs, the English Cast for Gurren Lagann has Chris Patton listed for Rossiu. What source was this confirmed from?

Gurren Lagann started airing in Japan in March, and it hasn't even been close to "nearly a year" from then. They have a release date, what more do you want?

I was sure Chris Patton was going to be Kamina. And I think it's pretty obvious that Greg Ayres will probably be Simon.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about Greg for Simoun. He'd sound right spoiler[for young Simon, but I think he's to high pitched for after the time skip.]
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
So they're going to make Gurren-Lagann 6 volumes. That's good. I thought that they were going to make this a 7-volume release.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
I dunno about Greg for Simoun. He'd sound right spoiler[for young Simon, but I think he's to high pitched for after the time skip.]

The voices don't sound that different. He's an actor, he's got to have some range, doesn't he?

spoiler[Also, there's no reason they have to keep the same actor for both young and old Simon.] It wouldn't be the first time they did something different in the English dub from the Japanese dub.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I'll bet they're not implying that Gurren-Lagann will air on YTV and Adult Swim. You're fools for not pitching the show for a television airing, ADV, FOOLS.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
I'm a little more surprised that they didn't talk about Kanon in any way, especially considering the release date of the first volume's only 3 weeks away. I figured that they'd reveal an expanded cast list or at least a small joke about the trailer's "Hurahi" thing by now.
ArcticMech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
EngrishFan wrote:
I'm a little more surprised that they didn't talk about Kanon in any way, especially considering the release date of the first volume's only 3 weeks away. I figured that they'd reveal an expanded cast list or at least a small joke about the trailer's "Hurahi" thing by now.

They actually showed the first 3 episodes of the dubbed series yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to take down the cast list during the end credits. I thought they did a pretty good job though.
ArcticMech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Ugh, I'll bet they're not implying that Gurren-Lagann will air on YTV and Adult Swim. You're fools for not pitching the show for a television airing, ADV, FOOLS.

I wouldn't surprised if they decide to air it on their own network (AnimeNetwork) to promote their fledgling anime channel.
ArcticMech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

I've been waiting for this release too. They originally announced November/December theatrical/DVD release dates, which was followed up with...absolutely nothing until their comments yesterday. My guess is that the DVD release will be pushed back until sometime after the film festival in March. If I don't catch it there, I'm hoping that they still decide to do a limited theatrical release.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
If they do push it back towards March, I'll be a sad panda. If they're releasing theatrically towards the Art House crowd who don't even know the movie exists, then an early DVD release won't hurt them.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

I've already preordered my copy of Gurren Lagann Vol.1- it'll be 6 volumes long, so 5 episodes on thr ee of those volumes, 4 on the other 3. Coverart is up on AnimeonDVD's coverart forum

5 Centimeters is slated for March [3 months from now], and it's coverart has also been popping up. It'll also recieve a limited theatrical release around the same time [probably verrrry limited, given ADV's past theatrical runs]

Pepperidge, I think the primary reason you don't see ADV Films on YTV and CN is that they already have their own decently widespread digital cable channel, and VIZ/Bandai/Funi provide YTV with most of their shows, filling up those slates. There's only so much room for anime, and as a smaller company ADV probably has a tougher time selling their titles to these networks [though they did get Evangelion and Super Milk Chan on Cartoon Network, so it all depends on chance, and an available slot I imagine]

Though The Anime Network's streaming section is available in Canada- mabye they'll stick up a preview on it?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Pepperidge, I think the primary reason you don't see ADV Films on YTV and CN is that they already have their own decently widespread digital cable channel, and VIZ/Bandai/Funi provide YTV with most of their shows, filling up those slates.

I certainly wouldn't define "The Anime Network" as being decently widespread. It's rare enough in the US, and does not exist in Canada. Yes, Rogers and Shaw do carry the on-demand service (albeit a somewhat stripped-down and overpriced version of it), but ADV's foolish and misguided efforts to set up their own broadcaster will never reach its intended projections in Canada. Of course, there's always a chance that ADV will strike up a deal with Corus to get their programming on the upcoming Anime Channel YTV plans to launch soon, but to be perfectly honest I'm not even sure if ADV is aware of YTV's existence. That would be nice though, since at least the possibility would exist for some programming cross-over to happen between TAC and YTV.

Paploo wrote:
There's only so much room for anime, and as a smaller company ADV probably has a tougher time selling their titles to these networks [though they did get Evangelion and Super Milk Chan on Cartoon Network, so it all depends on chance, and an available slot I imagine]

Well, Adult Swim is scaling back, but Bionix has plenty of room. The problem is that they almost seem to imitate Adult Swim when it comes to acquiring shows, so the amount of shows they pick up for the block is grossly disproportionate to its popularity. And I'd hate to see any chance of YTV airing it obliterated just because Adult Swim didn't want it bad enough.

Paploo wrote:
Though The Anime Network's streaming section is available in Canada- mabye they'll stick up a preview on it?

Oh, I'm sure they will. But my concern isn't getting to preview the dub before buying it, it's ensuring that the show gets as much exposure as possible. GL has enormous potential here, and it's just so pitiful to see ADV squander all of that potential by sticking with their own stubborn, proprietary forms of distribution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1