• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Government Officially Asks Internet Providers to Block Manga Piracy Sites

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:09 am Reply with quote
Good luck. They never did manage to block the Pirate Bay correctly over here in the UK.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Ah, they never learn. If they really wanted to go versus piracy, they need to do one simple thing - make the manga digital releases more accessible to the people, including the releases for foreign countries. Seriously, if Steam can do this for the games, including the boom on indie game titles (that go for the Japanese also) - why you can't do the same thing for manga? The services that exist now hardly cover 1% of the existing market, the other is purely related to fan translations.

What's the problem, for real?

Last edited by WANNFH on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
You cut off one head two more take it's place.

That's basically how this will turn out.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
Blocking all of them would be impossible, they aren't wrong at all trying to do it but every years while trying to block them they end up wasting money, close 1 site, 3 new are coming, they end up with even more problem. They should change their way of doing first at all creating suscription site which allow to read as much as possible serie on their site during the subscription period, also their lost due to piracy is far from being that high, because these site are free advertising, i know plenty of people who still buy the serie they love after reading illegaly because it was released sooner and they assume that every pirated manga would have been bought but peoples that read thousand of them every year wouldn't be able to afford that much. They should consider using these sites in a useful way rather than wasting time and money trying to shut them down, but it seem rather late for me they should have start long ago.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
Something something UN study on piracy finding that it doesn't actually hurt sales.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Curiously, both Mangamura and AniTube! currently suffer from "502 Bad Gateway". How about that?
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
You cut off one head two more take it's place.

That's basically how this will turn out.

ALL HAIL HYDRA !
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Betcha an (ineffectual) crackdown on illegal streaming sites and video downloading is next. The FTC is already grumbling about it.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't exactly blame them, but any attempt to do so will be largely ineffective. There are relatively easy ways to bypass such blocks.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey, if it's cheaper to lobby the government rather than sell a product I guess that's where the money's going to go.
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
*laughs in pirate*
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA) has told the government that between September 2017 and February, piracy has inflicted an estimated amount of more than 400 billion yen (about US$3.72 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan.

I reiterate what I said in the other thread earlier;

In 2016 the combined physical and digital sales of the manga industry in Japan amounted to 445.4 billion yen. link

And they insist they lost almost as much in six months due to piracy? Yeah, I got this bridge I want to sell, perhaps they might be interested...
DCR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Lion Magnus wrote:
*laughs in pirate*

Shishishishi!
Gurararara!
Zehahahaha!
Mamamama!
Yohohohoho!
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I can understand that, but until we get something that works like we do for anime the piracy of manga will still remain a huge problem.

Crunchyroll is taking steps in the right direction and so is MAL when it comes to its manga library you can buy and read, but the pool of titles is so small and there really is nothing interesting.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how you can justify pirating manga if you live in Japan. Manga is like $4-5 equivalent a volume, and magazines for $2-3 equivalent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4