• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Dive to the Future Anime's Teaser Video Reveals Staff, Cast, July Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
Yes! More Rin and Haru is definitely something I look forward to, I love all the characters but just love the interaction between those two characters. Eagerly awaiting official releases of all the different anime, so far only Iwatobi Swim Club and Eternal Summer.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:54 am Reply with quote
Ffffffffff*ck yeah!

College aged Haru, Makoto, Rin, and more screen time for Asahi and Ikuya (love how they got the two Yuri voice actors from YOI to play a major role in another popular sports anime!!!)

I smell Olympics plotline!!! And possibly my boy Sousuke show to sweep Rin off his feet. Ahhh my Makoharu college life fanfics are finally coming true! Anime hyper
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Yes rinharu on the poster. Hold me. Screw mako go away.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote
The boys are back. I don't see Rei or Nagisa but I'm sure we will see them sometime or the other. Can't wait to see more mackerel.

Яeverse wrote:
Yes rinharu on the poster. Hold me. Screw mako go away.

Why not both? Laughing Laughing

seriously though, no more Rin or Makoto wars please with a cherry on top, both are nice characters and both have flaws, and we all have our preferences but please don't bash one just because he gets in the way of your ship thank you thank you
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know why Hiroko Utsumi isn't returning to direct this?
musouka

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Does anyone know why Hiroko Utsumi isn't returning to direct this?

She’s no longer with KyoAni. She’ll be doing Banana Fish around the same time as this is airing, if you’re a fan.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
(love how they got the two Yuri voice actors from YOI to play a major role in another popular sports anime!!!)

I love YOI but tbf the Starting Days movie was released before Yuri on Ice was even announced so it'd be more accurate to say that they got Asahi and Ikuya voice actors in YOI. ;p

Excited nonetheless because Toyonaga is THE BEST BOY.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:

I love YOI but tbf the Starting Days movie was released before Yuri on Ice was even announced so it'd be more accurate to say that they got Asahi and Ikuya voice actors in YOI. ;p

Uh duh? I already know this since I own the Japanese Blu Ray and saw the fan subs a few months after the Starting Days was released. Im quite certain I made a similar comment when ANN reported the casting list so...does it really matter?

Anyway it's just a casual way to connect two popular sports anime that I like with the voice actors just like I know that these two have worked.as the main leads in Blast of Tempest years before YOI and that they both were in Haikyuu. *shrug*

Looking forward to Crunchyroll simlucast!!
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
BlueOla wrote:

Uh duh? I already know this since I own the Japanese Blu Ray and saw the fan subs a few months after the Starting Days was released. Im quite certain I made a similar comment when ANN reported the casting list so...does it really matter?

Anyway it's just a casual way to connect two popular sports anime that I like with the voice actors just like I know that these two have worked.as the main leads in Blast of Tempest years before YOI and that they both were in Haikyuu. *shrug*

Looking forward to Crunchyroll simlucast!!

That was unnecessarily harsh. The way you said it first it made it seem like you thought YOI came out first, as otherwise why would it be surprising their VAs are reprising their roles in a series they’re already in.

It doesn’t matter, yes. So why did you point out the obvious if you already knew better? Slow your roll, friend.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kawanami's direction was so uninspired and perfunctory for Take Your Marks, it pretty much ruined the entire movie for me. I absolutely adore the TV series, but without Hiroko Utsumi, Free is a shadow of its former self. Probably going to pass on this.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Kawanami's direction was so uninspired and perfunctory for Take Your Marks, it pretty much ruined the entire movie for me. I absolutely adore the TV series, but without Hiroko Utsumi, Free is a shadow of its former self. Probably going to pass on this.

Maybe because she directed it like 4 separate episodes rather than as one movie? Since, you know, that's mainly what she does, episode direction. You do you, of course, but I think it's too early to write off the new TV series when you haven't seen any of it yet. It probably won't hurt to check it out - you'll either be pleasantly surprised or think "I was right". Your choice though.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:

Maybe because she directed it like 4 separate episodes rather than as one movie? Since, you know, that's mainly what she does, episode direction. You do you, of course, but I think it's too early to write off the new TV series when you haven't seen any of it yet. It probably won't hurt to check it out - you'll either be pleasantly surprised or think "I was right". Your choice though.

Eisaku Kawamami is a man.

And no, it was not the pacing that spoiled Take Your Marks for me, though it certainly didn’t help. Utsumi’s direction is marked by dramatic camera angles and lighting, perfect comedic timing, and a very strong sense of the “female gaze”. She knows how to land a moment, and she loves athletic masculine bodies. That’s what makes Free what it is.

Take Your Marks had none of that. There were a lot of long shots of characters standing still and talking in the middle of the foreground, many of the jokes fell flat, and boy those boys sure spent a lot of time fully clothed. Even when they took their clothes off, the difference in their body types was barely apparent and the muscles looked drawn-on with sharpie rather than shaded to give a sense of their form.

I pretty much agree with Jacob’s review, if you want to see a more in-depth look at what the movie lacked.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

Eisaku Kawamami is a man.

And no, it was not the pacing that spoiled Take Your Marks for me, though it certainly didn’t help. Utsumi’s direction is marked by dramatic camera angles and lighting, perfect comedic timing, and a very strong sense of the “female gaze”. She knows how to land a moment, and she loves athletic masculine bodies. That’s what makes Free what it is.

Take Your Marks had none of that. There were a lot of long shots of characters standing still and talking in the middle of the foreground, many of the jokes fell flat, and boy those boys sure spent a lot of time fully clothed. Even when they took their clothes off, the difference in their body types was barely apparent and the muscles looked drawn-on with sharpie rather than shaded to give a sense of their form.

I pretty much agree with Jacob’s review, if you want to see a more in-depth look at what the movie lacked.

My bad, I didn't mean to misgender him lol. Do you think his gender affects his passion (or lack thereof) for the series? Like he's not actually interested in directing it, they just couldn't find anyone better? This is a genuine question, since I'm wondering where you're coming from.

I do appreciate Utsumi's style, however considering the context of Take Your Marks, we can't really blame Kawanami for his take on the series. I mean we're talking about stuff like searching for an apartment or going to an onsen - not much space for dramatic camera angles or lighting when there's hardly any drama. It was basically a series of feel-good OVAs and I think they did their job - got people excited for Free! again.

Humor is definitely subjective - I found the jokes funny, but Idk if that's because I was watching it in Japanese (unless that was also the case for you, in which case this is irrelevant). And sure, they were clothed - the ministories kind of called for them to be clothed, no? Especially that the action took place in like March. Yeah I can't disagree with sharpie abs but I'm assuming they just weren't putting that much money into this project - if you look closely in the scene where spoiler[Haru and Rin race each other, some of the shots of them swimming ] show that they're clearly using 3D models, so it's likely they weren't given a high budget to work with.

Your and Jacob's criticisms are valid, yes, but I don't think Kawanami will make this series completely unenjoyable or unwatchable, though I suppose only time will tell.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
So the timeline is:

Movie - High Speed
S1 - Iwatobi Swim Club
S2 - Eternal Summer
Movie - Take Your Marks
S3 - Dive to the Future
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1