• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Season 1 BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember much about this show cause it's got WAY TOO MANY characters who do basically nothing.

But the one thing I do remember, the Opening was really catchy and is fricken impossible to find online
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for reviewing Hanamaru. I personally love the show because I find it relaxing. I do agree it has a huge cast and that can be a problem. A lot of the characters who did not get much screen time do get some in season 2 but more swords do show up so the cycle will continue. I do love the art and animation for the endings. I hope season 2 gets a review.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings toward this series. For one it’s an easier way for me to “get to know” the boys from Touken Ranbu (I don’t play the game but I love the gorgeous fanart) and I welcome any opportunity to hear every male voice actor Funimation has at their disposal. I’m surprised they managed to get one VA for everyone up to Season 2.

On the other hand, yeah the cast is just way too large to really work for anyone who isn’t a TR fan. It’s to be expected cause of its origins, but I’m going to have a real problem genuinely caring for any of these boys when I only remember them by whatever anime joke runs their personality and/or how hot they are. Plus it got really cringey at some points.

It got to the point where I was only able to identify who was who by their English VA. >~>;;

It’s a series that exists purely for fanservice, both for the fans and for non-fans. But a lot of the supposed emotional and comedic moments really only work if you’re a fan who knows the back stories and relationships of every character before hand. So a C seems about right for me.
nogara119

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's been a fan of this game for a few years now, I enjoyed it and got some of the jokes. But unless someone's familiar with the game itself or knows a little about Shisengumi(since both MCs are Souji Okita's swords), most people will probably be bored.

Unpopular opinion: I liked Katsugeki better.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:19 am Reply with quote
I only played the game briefly before watching this, and I wasn't bothered by the amount of characters because I... guess I either knew them well enough just from seeing them everywhere - I really don't know how so many people on Western fan sites are always saying they've barely heard of TouRabu, it's everywhere in Japan.

But also, like... I guess the characters are also just more my type than they are for other Western fans (long-haired pretty boys <3). This show just... gives me what I want so much more than anything else nowadays besides one or two idol series, so I guess with TouRabu, and TsukiPro, I put in more effort than other people have wanted to, to get into the full story?

That said... I wish someone would make a good starter anime for people who haven't played the games/ heard the drama CDs/ seen the stage plays... a lot of really good series have a huge barrier of entry for fans outside of Japan in that the anime is the only thing that gets translated, and the anime is basically a spin-off.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
nogara119 wrote:

Unpopular opinion: I liked Katsugeki better.

I share this unpopular opinion! I actually dropped Hanamaru after 9 episodes. Although the first two or three had great moments (the one with Nobunaga's swords was a standout for me), the show seemed too pandery in the sense of how the sword boys are constantly making grand monologues about the [obvious audience insert] Master and how much they love the Master etc etc. The cast was too large to give them proper development too. And I really wanted to like this anime. I've been drawn to this franchise for a long time, I love the character designs, am a fan of anthropomorphized bishonen anime and a huge rekijo. The concept of the franchise seems to go right up my alley, but Hanamaru wasn't too big on the actual historical part, so it didn't work for me and I ended getting bored.

Katsugeki had a rocky start, but it's second half gave me everything I ever wanted that Hanamaru failed to deliver. I hope we'll see more stories like that featuring different sword boys in the future
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wasn't kidding when I said this show has an absurdly large cast—over forty speaking roles by my count

By the end of the second season (which I thought was better than the first) they were up to at least 62. Smile
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm already a Touken Ranbu fan, so I enjoyed this series for what it was: a cute, laid-back slice of life series about what the swords do when they aren't busy fighting. I can see the problems non-fans and fans who'd want more action-oriented stuff would have with it, since there are a lot of characters and not nearly enough episodes to flesh them all out beyond a few quirks, but overall I think the show did its job, much like how Katsugeki was meant to be the more serious and action-focused Tourabu anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1