• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miss caretaker of Sunohara-sou Anime's Video Reveals More of Cast, Opening Song, July 5 Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
That shota should've just become a full pledged girl.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
^I truly doubt that will change the execution of the material very much. Considering how this type of story is construed and presented currently, changing the sex of the main character to female will very likely not have any effect with the target audience, not that there’s a problem with that, of course. People who enjoy harems will consume such material and people who don’t can just simply not get involved, unless they enjoy hurting themselves for some reason.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

Have you watched Tachibanakan Triangle this season? It is an harem series with an all-female cast and it has yuri.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
Have you watched Tachibanakan Triangle this season? It is an harem series with an all-female cast and it has yuri.
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, that show is horrible compared to the manga because of its length alone. I guess the production committee couldn't see much success with the show being pure yuri and all so they taken an easy route. I know it have similarities with Sunohara-sou here, though it's too bad for fan like me but oh well, like the other poster said, better to leave the genre you don't like and let those that like it watch it in peace. I still have a lot of yuri shows/CGDCT shows to look forward to in the future anyway. But guess it is still in my nature as an immature human to go around and talk shit about stuff I'd obviously dislike. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they adapt this one, even though i like normal harems and full girls series, i kinda miss the old harems with otokonoko protagonist as in Mamoru-kun ni Megami, this kind of protagonist that could pass for a loli with a girl uniform ( or even without ) .
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

It would have been nice if that were to be a major plot twist. I am honestly not bothered with this anime. Its premise is straight forward and was set in stone.

TarutoClown93 wrote:

Nice cheap shot, there. Rolling Eyes

Afezeria wrote:
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, that show is horrible compared to the manga because of its length alone. I guess the production committee couldn't see much success with the show being pure yuri and all so they taken an easy route. I know it have similarities with Sunohara-sou here, though it's too bad for fan like me but oh well, like the other poster said, better to leave the genre you don't like and let those that like it watch it in peace. I still have a lot of yuri shows/CGDCT shows to look forward to in the future anyway. But guess it is still in my nature as an immature human to go around and talk shit about stuff I'd obviously dislike. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Japan does not have faith in yuri and only sees yuri fans as mindless sheep. News at 11.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Since it's shotacon, the translations of the manga will not be picked up past the pilot chapter unless the anime becomes massively popular, which I doubt it. Now I am really eager to see it gets picked up on simulcast by Crunchyroll.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
I'm glad they adapt this one, even though i like normal harems and full girls series, i kinda miss the old harems with otokonoko protagonist as in Mamoru-kun ni Megami, this kind of protagonist that could pass for a loli with a girl uniform ( or even without ) .

Holy crap, someone else has seen Mamoru-kun, I thought I was the only one outside of Japan. I too prefer the otokonoko harem protaginists but nowadays they feel like they are more niche than actual yuri anime. Which by the way we also need more yuri anime as soon as possible.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
changing the sex of the main character to female will very likely not have any effect with the target audience

Aside from making it appealing to a completely different target audience?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
changing the sex of the main character to female will very likely not have any effect with the target audience
Aside from making it appealing to a completely different target audience?

Personally, I would prefer if this anime was all girls with the shota being a loli instead. It will not make any real difference apart from having CGDCT and yuri fans as the target audience instead. However. I doubt that this will perform better in the sales department if that were the case.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
I'm just confused as to why this voice cast is so amazing for a seemingly generic anime. A lot of these are really heavy names lol. I'll watch it for that alone
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
My point was that if the creators had only made the main character female and changed nothing else, than the harem audience will very likely not bat an eye towards the change and consume the material as before because this style of storytelling is still right up their alley. I only said what I said because it sounded like some may think that the story would magically become better just by changing the sex to female. I don’t think so, but of course, that’s just my opinion and I just wanted to express it here.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
My point was that if the creators had only made the main character female and changed nothing else, than the harem audience will very likely not bat an eye towards the change and consume the material as before because this style of storytelling is still right up their alley. I only said what I said because it sounded like some may think that the story would magically become better just by changing the sex to female. I don’t think so, but of course, that’s just my opinion and I just wanted to express it here.

There is also the age-gap audience. As in the fans who are into love with notable age difference between the two characters like the ones in this anime for example. This is not just a harem anime, this is an age-gap harem anime.

Now what if the boy was a girl instead? It can be a nice change of pace that can or cannot make any real difference. I do not know how harem fans will react to that but yuri fans may get something out of it. Regardless, some fans may get put off by the age-gap part.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Harem sold like shit anyway for most related titles out there except for a selected few so I doubt it that this is gonna garner much attention as usual, though the difference this time is that it is not set in your usual isekai world with overpowered protagonist, having a shota as the main lead in the whole harem situation, which is exceedingly rare in anime to be honest, and the seiyuu involved apparently was said to be top tier by the other poster, and I don't really care to know much about these voice actors except for a few that really left an impression to me. With some irregularities here and there, who knows, Sunohara-sou might be getting some attention but it's not gonna be attracting much from me. I've supposed the production committee involved was trying to set another trend in the whole harem circle here, and as someone that isn't really fond of it, it does irked me a little, or more. I wish they gave more chances for Tachibanakan Triangle but alas, yuri is still struggling to get a footing, in comparison to some really famous harem titles like Infinite Stratos and High School DxD. Just gotta wait and see the reaction to this online once it available next season.
CorbeauKarasu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
is there a place to watch this legally? i keep waiting for it to show up on crunchyroll, but to no avail?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2