• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 42-Year-Old Man Arrested for Stalking Former AKB48 Idol

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I always have mixed feelings when I read these reports... Yes, absolutely and unequivocally, stalking is bad. I will never debate nor back down from that. Don't even try and suggest otherwise.

But I also must recognize that the entire idol industry is built around inducing obsession and obsessive behavior in it's fanbase. They encourage fans to buy twenty seven copies of a CD or DVD to have even a chance to meet the object of their induced passion and obsession. (Etc... etc...) And that's not something that turns off like a light switch when an idol graduates or a group disbands. They're playing with fire.

I look at Hidenobu Ōnishi not with scorn (and not with approval!), but with pity. He deserves full punishment for his actions... But he's also a victim of a corporation that fed his addiction for profit.

The idol industry is trying to reap the rewards of obsessive behavior, while also trying to escape responsibility for the damages caused by that behavior.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the entire concept of idols is really freaking scummy and seems solely designed to promote disturbing unhealthy behavior.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
I always have mixed feelings when I read these reports... Yes, absolutely and unequivocally, stalking is bad. I will never debate nor back down from that. Don't even try and suggest otherwise.

But I also must recognize that the entire idol industry is built around inducing obsession and obsessive behavior in it's fanbase. They encourage fans to buy twenty seven copies of a CD or DVD to have even a chance to meet the object of their induced passion and obsession. (Etc... etc...) And that's not something that turns off like a light switch when an idol graduates or a group disbands. They're playing with fire.

I look at Hidenobu Ōnishi not with scorn (and not with approval!), but with pity. He deserves full punishment for his actions... But he's also a victim of a corporation that fed his addiction for profit.

The idol industry is trying to reap the rewards of obsessive behavior, while also trying to escape responsibility for the damages caused by that behavior.

Yes, the Idol industry does have a degree of blame in feeding obsessive behavior, but at the same time it's not wrong in letting entertainers getting to know their fans. It's when in these situations where 1 bad apple ruins it for everyone.

Though I am confused with you saying you pity the guy and at the same time wanting maximum punishment. So which is it? This guy is NO victim, he made his own decision to stalk a young woman, twice. And him doing it twice means he has a serious grudge and heaven forbid there be a third where it ends up in another idol attack.

This guy is obviously a danger risk and need to be closely monitored and appropriately disciplined. He needs to be scared enough knowing there will not be a third time.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
This guy is NO victim, he made his own decision to stalk a young woman, twice.

Uh, huh. Maybe you missed the part where I discussed about induced obsession and obsessive behavior. It's not nearly so simple and black-and-white as you might like to believe. No different than an alcoholic, he's not entirely in control of or accountable for his behavior.

And don't come back with "it's the alcoholic's own fault for taking a drink" - as if anyone knows in advance that they'll become an alcoholic. The world doesn't work that way. Spare me.
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
This Onishi character was a genuine creep, and it's not just the idol industry that suffers from a few deranged individuals like him but also almost every aspect of the entertainment industry anywhere, and in any genre (does Chapman gunning down Lennon rings a bell?).

I'm still amazed at all that most people must've watched Perfect Blue and used it as one of the basis -- if not a complete standard -- of their negative opinion towards the idol industry in general.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Yes, the Idol industry does have a degree of blame in feeding obsessive behavior, but at the same time it's not wrong in letting entertainers getting to know their fans. It's when in these situations where 1 bad apple ruins it for everyone.

Though I am confused with you saying you pity the guy and at the same time wanting maximum punishment. So which is it? This guy is NO victim, he made his own decision to stalk a young woman, twice. And him doing it twice means he has a serious grudge and heaven forbid there be a third where it ends up in another idol attack.

This guy is obviously a danger risk and need to be closely monitored and appropriately disciplined. He needs to be scared enough knowing there will not be a third time.

While this guy is obviously dangerous and has already crossed the line, the corporate tyrants above should hold some responsibility. If you know the history of idols this whole phenomena of stalking is only around 25 years old at most when the managers and other higher ups opened the floodgates for fan interaction without properly planning for the consequences near the late 80's.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
Stalking her when this girl was 13 or 14? Talk about a creep.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
soul.assassin wrote:
This Onishi character was a genuine creep, and it's not just the idol industry that suffers from a few deranged individuals like him but also almost every aspect of the entertainment industry anywhere, and in any genre (does Chapman gunning down Lennon rings a bell?).

Nobody has claimed otherwise, so... nice strawman.

What we have done is pointed out the circumstance of the idol industry that exacerbate this situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1