• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu Yu Hakusho New Anime Episode Previewed in Screenshots Before Screening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Looks like this special needs a lot more Kuwabara.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Please license this Funi! Shocked
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Honest impression from the screechshots? Looks rather cheap compared to the fairly lush cell-drawn animation of the TV series and making the character design more in line to how they originally were in the manga does it no favors either.
Skydrop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
have been curious to see how would they look like in modern style and glad to see it. honestly i still prefer the old ones and not really want to see yyh remake anytime despite as a fan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that a lot of WSJ and Shounen Sunday anime movies have had Toho as either a production committee member or as a movie distributor? Any guesses as to why that is?
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

As well as Poltergeist Report movie. I really want a re-release of that with the FUNimation dub cast.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:

As well as Poltergeist Report movie. I really want a re-release of that with the FUNimation dub cast.

THESE SO MUCH. I will not be able to die happy until I own these new OAVs. I don't care if they're "not so great" or something. YYH is too special. Please, Funimation.
Enturax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly, the art has tons of vibes of the original, which can't be told about... any other modern show adapting/continuing stories from 80s and 90s. They even kept that Hiei 3rd eye's blue lightning the same!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Honest impression from the screechshots? Looks rather cheap compared to the fairly lush cell-drawn animation of the TV series and making the character design more in line to how they originally were in the manga does it no favors either.

Unless I'm looking at different pictures art design looks glaringly similar to the anime but cleaner looking.
space.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Looks fine, but obviously lost all of its 90s charm with the digital transition. Hoping the series never gets remade or anything like that. This is a nice look into how disastrous it would be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
wow, they are actually doing the true ending. We already knew one of the ova is about how Hien meet Kurama but didn't expect true ending.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:

I think FUNi's said numerous times over the years that they've tried to license it, but that it's completely unavailable for some reason. Apparently it's also out-of-print in Japan, which means there might be some kind of rights dispute. I hope it eventually comes out!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
space. wrote:
Looks fine, but obviously lost all of its 90s charm with the digital transition. Hoping the series never gets remade or anything like that. This is a nice look into how disastrous it would be.

Don't know why that would be a bad thing considering the last half of the series isn't exactly held in high regard for a number of reasons.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:15 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think FUNi's said numerous times over the years that they've tried to license it, but that it's completely unavailable for some reason. Apparently it's also out-of-print in Japan, which means there might be some kind of rights dispute. I hope it eventually comes out!

While what you're saying is true, the movie has since surfaced and got released in Japan 2 weeks ago as part of the first new Blu-ray Box so FUNi has a chance to get it now and also to release the first movie on Blu-ray since that too was included in the same set and for the first time on the format (since the previous Japanese Blu-ray release had that film on a bonus DVD hence FUNi's release of that here being DVD-only).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1