• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Precure, Utano☆Princesama VA Yuka Imai Announces Marital Separation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
As someone who grew up as an Aspie with social difficulties, I wish her the best in raising her son. She doesn't deserve that asshole of a husband anyway.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Headline says "Martial Separation". I believe that unless this is due to a military deployment, it should read "Marital Separation"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Children like hers deserve parents who will love them unconditionally not jerks who run away from a problem like mental disabilities. I hope for the best her and her son
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
If we take the article on face value, she doesn't condemn her Ex and wishes they could have come together as a partnership as what any couple of parents should do for their child.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
That is sad news and life is hard enough without including a husband that runs away from his responsibilities at the first hint of difficulty. Her blog post is worth reading and provides more information about what happened. I wish her and her son the best.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
This is so sad. I wish her and her son the best.

It says a lot about the husband that he's distanced himself from their child, but also isn't being more supportive of her. Even if he's just distraught or stressed, so is she, so there's no excuse.

My own child has autism, and it can be very stressful and difficult, but I'm even more thankful now that it's brought my husband and I together. All the best to families anywhere that have a child on the spectrum, but especially in places where there might not be enough help from society to help raise them and care for them.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Throughout the post, Imai discusses her personal feelings including anger towards her husband and men in general

I hope she's not assuming all men are lazy and useless like this ex-husband of hers.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Throughout the post, Imai discusses her personal feelings including anger towards her husband and men in general

I hope she's not assuming all men are lazy and useless like this ex-husband of hers.

Considering the circumstances she's allowed to say whatever the hell she feels like.

Anyway, no one should have to deal with what Imai is going through. The gigantic stigma still attributed to the spectrum is one of the reasons ableism is still a thing. It's why we have junk science conspiracy theories around vaccinations or how people can think those conditions can be "cured." She and her son deserve better and I wish her the best.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll just put it this way. I know people on the spectrum that are (understandably) furious about the ex-husband not doing his bloody job, as a parent.
Hits close to home.
Obviously, I've never met Yuka-san, so I can't know, but I think it would help her to research famous people on the autism spectrum that have been pretty cool and successful. Satoshi Tajiri and Jeff Pickles (competitive gamer) come to mind. It could help put her at ease, a bit.

Supposing she's still linked to Atomic Monkey, despite her acting hiatus, we could try having fan messages of support translated and sent to her. Atomic Monkey has an English branch.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Considering the circumstances she's allowed to say whatever the hell she feels like.

I wasn't implying she's not allowed to speak her mind. I'm just saying there have also been cases of single fathers having to raise children with developmental disabilities with no maternal figure in their lives. I knew a guy in college who had a friend with Asperger's who only had her father to help raise and support her. Seems the mother was some sort of a case who wanted nothing to do with her daughter whatsoever, but I never got the full story about it as I felt I shouldn't pry.

Quote:
Anyway, no one should have to deal with what Imai is going through. The gigantic stigma still attributed to the spectrum is one of the reasons ableism is still a thing. It's why we have junk science conspiracy theories around vaccinations or how people can think those conditions can be "cured." She and her son deserve better and I wish her the best.

I've seen a few articles and videos about those bogus claims that autism is something that can be cured. It is rather laughable that people think changing a child's diet will cure them or getting them vaccinated is the cause of it in the first place.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
Just hurts reading stuff like this. Wish much love to her and her son. Very blessed to have been supported by friends and family growing up.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:

I highly doubt she will ever think that. She worked in voice acting so she meets many types of people there. It might ruin herself of ever wanting to be wanting relationships again.

I really do feel bad for her. As someone with autism, my father mostly raised me in the end. Not a day goes by so long ago of how he talks about how hard it is to be a single father with three children with disabilities. Ahhh... my little sister and brother also have some stuff....
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
I highly doubt she will ever think that. She worked in voice acting so she meets many types of people there. It might ruin herself of ever wanting to be wanting relationships again.

That's reassuring to hear, thanks. It's just with the tense social climate these days, anything can be said and done.

Quote:
I really do feel bad for her. As someone with autism, my father mostly raised me in the end. Not a day goes by so long ago of how he talks about how hard it is to be a single father with three children with disabilities. Ahhh... my little sister and brother also have some stuff....

That sounds just like my acquaintance's friend from college that I mentioned in my second post. I hope things go a bit easier for you and your family.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1