• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Summer 2018, Jul 22-28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised Hanebado noise dived, #4 was pretty bad and really seem to imply that normal badminton was just not interesting enough on its own, so it need rule breaking and over the top drama to be interesting (not a winning attitude for a show about badminton).

Banana fish just keep dropping, can't say I'm that surprised, it's getting a bit repetitive at this point...

Summon an overlord somehow made a giant leap, but it seem more like this stems from the weakness of the season and most show ep 4. Boruto and P5, which were bottom barrel (at least bottom half) for most of there run time, are suddenly amongst the top this season.

I'm a bit sad Chio is so low, but not that surprised.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Shows I've dropped so far:

Steins;Gate 0 - Same old horrible meandering writing that only serves to suck Okabe's dick, and it oversells its drama to the point where I burst out laughing.

Harukana Receive - Way more cute girls doing cute things than I want out of my sports anime.

Revue Starlight - After an AMAZING first episode, all forward momentum has stalled, and it's just become another idol show. I'll pick it back up if it improves by the end.

meiam wrote:

Summon an overlord somehow made a giant leap, but it seem more like this stems from the weakness of the season and most show ep 4. Boruto and P5, which were bottom barrel (at least bottom half) for most of there run time, are suddenly amongst the top this season.

Boruto had its best episode ever, and Persona 5's recent arc is the best adaptation yet, and it's far and away better than the video game's extremely padded portrayal of this arc.

I don't get why Angels of Death is at the bottom, though. I think it's great and just keeps getting better every episode! (And the dub is fantastic too imo)

Last edited by Blankslate on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
alconnow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I’m not surprised Gintama dropped 5 places. spoiler[ The episode cut out a lot of Takasugi’s development which I found disappointing.]
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
I don't get why Angels of Death is at the bottom, though. I think it's great and just keeps getting better every episode! (And the dub is fantastic too imo)

Any show that is as "dark" and "violent" as "angels of death" will be really low, especially if it revels in it. Despite this one being one of the good ones in that vain, its doomed to be hated on by lots of people who completely ignore any of the story/character development and just label it as "ah, another Edge of the season show"
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Revue Starlight is definitely bugged, the 4th episode is not even out yet.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Revue Starlight - After an AMAZING first episode, all forward momentum has stalled, and it's just become another idol show. I'll pick it back up if it improves by the end.

I don't really get what you're talking about here. To me, (well directed and animated) fight scenes being a regular element precludes it from being a typical idol anime. The visual execution, both in direction and animation, alone puts it above most idol anime, though there is some question as to whether they can keep up their very ambitious work they have put out in that regard. If you don't care for it, that's fine, but I don't see where this is coming from.

I do agree that Boruto 65 was an exceptional episode, and quite possibly the best of the series so far, and that the most recent arc of Persona 5 was very good as well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
alconnow wrote:
I’m not surprised Gintama dropped 5 places. spoiler[ The episode cut out a lot of Takasugi’s development which I found disappointing.]
Gintama takes one of the top spots at the start of the season, then drops after a couple of weeks as people settle into their new shows.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Blankslate wrote:

I don't really get what you're talking about here. To me, (well directed and animated) fight scenes being a regular element precludes it from being a typical idol anime. The visual execution, both in direction and animation, alone puts it above most idol anime

I was speaking purely thematically.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:

Which is why it's not included in the chart. oO

I'm kind of mystified by Banana Fish's continuing nosedive. It's the series I most look forward to each week, and I haven't noticed any drop-off in quality from the beginning. Nor has there been much carping about it in the forum.

fantaselion wrote:
Any show that is as "dark" and "violent" as "angels of death" will be really low, especially if it revels in it. Despite this one being one of the good ones in that vain, its doomed to be hated on by lots of people who completely ignore any of the story/character development and just label it as "ah, another Edge of the season show"

Then presumably most such people would have stopped watching and rating by now. Do they hate it so much they're still dropping by to trash the ratings without watching the episodes?

I'm not surprised that Isekai Maou is rising, though that leap seems a bit brow-raising. It's actually quite a bit of fun. Hardly top-10 material, but certainly not bottom of the barrel. It's kind of Overlord Lite, with a double scoop of fan service on top.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't really get what you're talking about here. To me, (well directed and animated) fight scenes being a regular element precludes it from being a typical idol anime. The visual execution, both in direction and animation, alone puts it above most idol anime

I was speaking purely thematically.

Even still, I do not agree. While it does have striving to be a top star in common with idol anime, I would say it goes about that differently than idol anime generally does (at least as far as female idols are concerned). Where in most idol anime, this striving for the top is a group effort, with characters joining their efforts to put on the best performance they can together, Revue Starlight goes about this through individual rivalries and competition between the girls, especially via the revue scenes, and with the most recent episode this seems to be important thematically and to the character arcs of at least a few of the characters, and to me the themes seems more akin to other anime/stories about or even just involving those working in various creative arts rather than just idol anime.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:

Which is why it's not included in the chart. oO.

Sorry for the trouble, I just realized I misclicked - damn you heatwave - and it was actually Hanebado. Then the nosedive is well-deserved. That show is proving to be a handful.
S0crates

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
... it seem more like this stems from the weakness of the season and most show ep 4. Boruto and P5, which were bottom barrel (at least bottom half) for most of there run time, are suddenly amongst the top this season.

Ye, I agree. This season is perhaps weaker compared to the two last ones, where I'd also say the Winter 2018 especially was incredible, leaving us rather spoiled.

The placement instability do indeed seem to be massively amplified compared to the earlier seasons. Earlier those who started out at the bottom tended to stay there, where only Darling in the Franxx managed to swing all across the score board as an irregularity. This season tons of shows seem to swing around to a greater degree, as you mention, which can indicate that all the shows are very close in quality in comparison. This again would perhaps further indicate that no show has managed to reach "Top tier quality", at least as an on-going stable series, and that you got tons of shows at 3-4 stars, where pretty minor things can pump you up or make you drop like a hammer respectively. Of course, it might also be that there are more series that has the waste diversity in quality from episode to episode like DitF, and if you got 4-5 of those rather than just 1, then the score board becomes quite unstable rather quickly.

However, to make a counter argument, I'd also argue that shows like How Not To Summon benefit a lot from people "not part of the demographic" dropping the series, which tends to happen around episode 4 or 5, (and people growing familiar with the premise). It shares a lot in common with Overlord, which wasn't quite easy to judge from the OP and such, and where people perhaps rate it more on "what it is" rather than "broken expectations" as the season progress. The same thing can be said about Asobi Asobase, where the OP screams "cute girls doing cute things", but where the show is more "Konosuba Slice of Life Version". That said, the first week (end of) a baffling 7 of the top 8 were on-going series, and this might also be due to the newer shows spending some time at their world building and stacking up momentum, which in return could make it greater impact series later on. I haven't watched all of this season's anime, but if the newer shows do indeed have OPs that fails to communicate to the audience what type of show it is, then this type of instability might comes from poor marketing rather than actual poor series quality, and that you just got a bunch of people watching shows they wouldn't like from the get go. This would be naturally corrected as the season continues and the OPs become irrelevant in the face youtubers reviewing series, people talking about them or memes being created, as they have bigger impacts on potential new audience past what any OP could do.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
@tfwnoymir Given the ratings for episode 5, Hanebado will be back up next week. Even the reviewer thought he had been a little hard on the show. I do understand the some don't like the show's drama, and that's fine, but I think the decline has been a bit overstated in my opinion.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
@zrnzle500 My issue is basically we've transitioned from a well-written character drama of the first 2 episodes... to whatever the show it is right now at episode 5. It's like we've got from Sound! Euphonium to School Days real quick. I'm not really mad about it, but it's hard to take the show seriously after the recent episodes.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with tfwnoymir. I don't think the drop for Hanebado is overstated at all; it continues to execute well on art & animation, but it has completely lost any sense of consistent tone. It leapfrogged quite dramatically from grounded exploration of the interactions between some reasonable but human flawed characters into a show of bizarre villainous figures, ridiculous turns in the plot, and PTSD stares that give Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni a run for its money. Hanebado badly needs to stabilize and find an identity for itself as a show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2