• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Speak Out! Japan's LGBTQ+ Community Responds to Politician Sugita's Discriminatory Stateme

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Warning before you post, don't forget the rules. Anything seen as hateful or discriminatory will result in an immediate ban.
yuricon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the thought that went into asking Japanese creators and activists for their perspective on this. Thanks for writing this up. Far too often I'm asked since BL and Yuri are gaining popularity, how LGBTQ people are treated and i have to explain that there is little to no correlation between them. Entertainment can only go so far to changing opinion. Leaders must be able to lead and provide progressive policies for society to move forward. Otherwise all we in the LGBTQ community are doing is treading water to stay where we are against a strong tide threatening to push us backwards.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
But wait I thought Japan was a magical fantasy land where politics didn't exist and any analysis of political messaging in anime was my devolved western brain making stuff up! /s

Anyways, I'm glad people are speaking out against this politician's horribly homophobic comments. Judging from the video (and all the chuckling from the politician and interviewers), I would've guessed that that was just the status quo of the Japanese political system, just like it was the status quo of the American political system 15 years ago. I guess it still is like America 15 years ago where there were no anti-discrimination policies in place for LGBT+ people. I'm glad that there are those pushing for civil right protections, and I support them 100%.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh god i didn't realize that Matsumoto went through all that. fudge that's terrible, making light of a rape victim is one of the worst things you can do. I'm glad he seems to be doing better now.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
So glad to see the Japanese LGBTQ community starting to speak out and stand up to attitudes that have kept them hidden and perhaps ashamed for so long.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
everapril

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
That last little anecdote was so sweet and funny, I laughed with tears in my eyes.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
But wait I thought Japan was a magical fantasy land where politics didn't exist and any analysis of political messaging in anime was my devolved western brain making stuff up! /s

I mean, these are a handful of random people who aren't exactly popular or well known, and their protest only mustered 5000 people. That doesn't seem very wide-spread or at all noticeable. There's more people in the uyoku dantai.

The fact the composer for Dragon Quest , one of the biggest franchises in Japan, can do right-wing interviews and stuff and still keeps his job is pretty telling. That'd never happen here and he'd have been fired immediately.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
The mentioned video making the rounds on Twitter really is awful. A number of years ago, I loved Shiren the Wanderer on the DS, and a big part of it was the wonderful, sweet music. To know the guy who composed that chuckles at the prospect of people who are different being bullied and committing suicide...uggghhhh.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I told the doctor that I had been raped a year and half prior, and he was very confused—so confused he asked if I was the one who raped someone. When I specifically told him that a man had raped me, he became even more perplexed. He said, 'okay,' eventually and moved on to other questions," Matsumoto said.

Wow, what a narrowminded and stupid doctor. He must live in an opaque bubble if he seriously believes men can't or don't get raped.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It's almost funny how not Liberal the Liberal Democratic Party of Japan seems to be.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that Japan's right wing can be every bit as vile and reactionary as our domestic product.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

I mean, these are a handful of random people who aren't exactly popular or well known

I don't want to lead the conversation here too much, but this isn't accurate, unless maybe you're trying to speak from a Western fandom standpoint. Hiroko Masuhara is well known in Japan for her activist work, and I don't just mean within activist circles. She's appeared in interviews and television numerous times.

Yuhki Kamatani has created a number of manga which are available in English, and also created Nabari no Ou which was adapted into an anime series.

Masaki C. Matsumoto is a YouTube video creator who has multiple videos with 10K+ views.

Graham Kolbeins is part of a team that successfully crowdfunded a documentary on queer life in Japan and also localizes gay manga for North American audiences.

Sho Arai is a popular manga creator in their own right with a long-running essay manga with over 10 volumes.

Fuyumi Yamamoto holds an important position at a center specifically for Deaf LGBTQ+ people.

I get that these names might not be familiar to you. They represent marginalized voices; they're often ignored by people who don't have to deal with the same kind of issues that they do and so others might not take note of them, even when a legislator is speaking about issues that directly effect them. But that's the point of the article. It's worth thinking about WHY you haven't heard of these people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Judging from the video (and all the chuckling from the politician and interviewers), I would've guessed that that was just the status quo of the Japanese political system, just like it was the status quo of the American political system 15 years ago. I guess it still is like America 15 years ago where there were no anti-discrimination policies in place for LGBT+ people. I'm glad that there are those pushing for civil right protections, and I support them 100%.

We are only incrementally better than them at the moment.

Chester McCool wrote:
The fact the composer for Dragon Quest , one of the biggest franchises in Japan, can do right-wing interviews and stuff and still keeps his job is pretty telling. That'd never happen here and he'd have been fired immediately.

Of course, it would and even if he was, expect the Neo-Fascist hordes to come up out of the woodwork complaining about "censoring free speech" in his defense.

Kougeru wrote:
It's almost funny how not Liberal the Liberal Democratic Party of Japan seems to be.

Their name is a complete oxymoron. They have always been been a pit of right-wing reaction and corruption that has ruled Japan far longer than should be legal. And the sad fact is we helped create them all because America didn't want Japan to fall under influence of the Soviet Union at the end of World War II.

Last edited by Zeino on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuricon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I get that these names might not be familiar to you. They represent marginalized voices; they're often ignored by people who don't have to deal with the same kind of issues that they do and so others might not take note of them, even when a legislator is speaking about issues that directly effect them. But that's the point of the article. It's worth thinking about WHY you haven't heard of these people.

Well said! These names are very well known, in their milieu.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
This was an extremely insightful article. I knew that LGBTQ rights in Japan aren’t as progressive as a lot of other countries, but I didn’t know that politicians were so openly espousing hateful views against these people. I’m very glad that people are speaking out in support of the LGBTQ community in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5