• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: 2007 Japanese Otaku Market is 187 Billion Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I knew Dōjinshi was big, but damn. 68% as big as all other published works! That's way over half. Which is big.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
missing_soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
And imagine US anime distributors actually complain about their market's decline in DVD sales even if they do not produce anything only buy licenses and sell DVDs (print money).

I'd like to read some ANN editorial witch clears this little inconsistence and explains the facts to the fans.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
North American anime DVD industry is USD100 million more than Japanese anime DVD and CD industries COMBINED.

......can someone explain to me why the R1 DVD anime industry claims the sky is falling? I... I don't understand... Even if we take into consideration the fact that the Japanese companies get money from TV ads, I mean, the anime CD industry is still probably a big percentage of the 300 million.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
missing_soul wrote:
And imagine US anime distributors actually complain about their market's decline in DVD sales even if they do not produce anything only buy licenses and sell DVDs (print money).

I'd like to read some ANN editorial witch clears this little inconsistence and explains the facts to the fans.

Hm... let's see here. First, the US distributor/producer has to buy the license. Then, they have to pay actors to do the voice acting, they have to pay all the staffers who work on directing the VAs, recording, editing, mixing and mastering the sound, translation of the scripts as well as creation of both the subtitle screenplay and the English dub script. If they want to use all the original music from the anime, sometimes they have to go to extra lengths to license music from the copyright holders in other countries, or even artists here in the US. Then they have the people who master all the information, dual language tracks, subtitles and video, onto the DVD. Then printing the DVDs. As you might be able to comprehend, this all takes just a "little" bit of money... $400 million is not that much, especially when we already saw an article posted a couple weeks back saying that in the last couple years, profits have been over $500 million. Read more. Kthxbye.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
North American anime DVD industry is USD100 million more than Japanese anime DVD and CD industries COMBINED.

I've asked for someone to look into this and contact Media Create in order to get details about how that number was achieved. WHen comparing it to the US numbers, we may not be comparing apples with apples.

-t
ilikehotaznz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
missing_soul wrote:

Hm... let's see here. First, the US distributor/producer has to buy the license. Then, they have to pay actors to do the voice acting, they have to pay all the staffers who work on directing the VAs, recording, editing, mixing and mastering the sound, translation of the scripts as well as creation of both the subtitle screenplay and the English dub script. If they want to use all the original music from the anime, sometimes they have to go to extra lengths to license music from the copyright holders in other countries, or even artists here in the US. Then they have the people who master all the information, dual language tracks, subtitles and video, onto the DVD. Then printing the DVDs. As you might be able to comprehend, this all takes just a "little" bit of money... $400 million is not that much, especially when we already saw an article posted a couple weeks back saying that in the last couple years, profits have been over $500 million. Read more. Kthxbye.

Perhaps the reason there is a decline in sales is because of a lack of quality products. The only anime that was worth buying in 2007 in my opinion was Death Note and Haruhi.

Compare this to 2003 - 2004 (the current peak of anime sales) where the following anime titles were released:

Rumbling Hearts
Fullmetal Alchemist
Elfen Lied
Last EXILE
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Scrapped Princess
Planet ES
Samurai Champloo
Mai Hime
Bleach

the list goes on and on...

I looked through my collection of anime and I own many products from funimation and ADV. I only own one series from geneon, Last Exile. Maybe that's the reason Geneon went out of business?
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Last week, Shizuki, while discussing an article from the Japanese ANIME ANIME! site, gave very different numbers, it seems. I wonder how the different figures were measured...

The year is different, but could DVD sales have dropped that much in Japan? Something doesn't seem right, to me.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
North America. Japan. What about the rest of the world?
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I've asked for someone to look into this and contact Media Create in order to get details about how that number was achieved. WHen comparing it to the US numbers, we may not be comparing apples with apples.

Oh good. I'm just flabbergasted by these figures, so I'm not really sure where they're coming from.

@teh*darkness: If we assume figures in this article are right (which might not be the case, but let's work from there), then domestic licensors have absolutely nothing to complain about, considering that Japan, which releases severalfold number of titles in a country with higher respect for anime and wider "fanbases," makes LESS money, a number USD100 million (possibly closer to 200mil, considering that CDs are very popular and more people probably buy CDs than DVDs) lower than the US counterpart. As for the fact that US distributors "do a lot of work to release" DVDs, it's not like Japanese anime companies do less work at all >_>;.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
ilikehotaznz wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
missing_soul wrote:

Perhaps the reason there is a decline in sales is because of a lack of quality products. The only anime that was worth buying in 2007 in my opinion was Death Note and Haruhi.

I miss the hand drawn qualities that older anime had.New anime is very pretty but also very shallow(not all of them).
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
North America. Japan. What about the rest of the world?

Aside from the rest of Asia (which is pretty big on anime...and bootlegs I fear), I suspect the impact is minimal.

It wasn't until a few years ago after all that crazy American weaboos and their wallets became an integral part of the Japanese cartoon and comics business. Razz

This whole "sky is falling on the US anime business" ordeal really needs to stop though. Put in context of the big North American picture and a lot of the Doomsday vibes the market is giving makes sense. A housing market decline dries up the consumer's pockets; advancements, competitions, and innovations in various tech businesses (Vista, Format War, iPhone, new console generations, among others) further dries up the geek consumer's budgets; American TV has begun to produce something interesting again, taking away some of those who sought anime to get away from Friends and Dance with the Dumbasses, etc., etc.

Tons of excuses, meh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1