• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Ellation Launches New Division for Original Animated Content

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Cool to see them doing original content and this show looks kinda neat, just wish it wasn't in a school setting like 70% of anime are. Maybe instead of learning to be witches they could already have graduated and are getting first hand experience on the job.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I dont know what the point is of celebrating diversity when the show features an all female cast of girls in school. Last I checked anime is not exactly devoid of shows of all/mostly female casts.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
I dont know what the point is of celebrating diversity when the show features an all female cast of girls in school. Last I checked anime is not exactly devoid of shows of all/mostly female casts.

They're not talking about the cast, they're talking about the writing staff, which is all-female, and the creator Raye Rodriguez, who is a trans man.
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kun Gao, founder and general manager of Crunchyroll, stated that the company plans to introduce more shows in the coming weeks

Interesting, I wonder if we might get some at CRX.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

From what i understand, means that the people working behind the scenes are from different backgrounds/nationalities.
This is not a anime but a anime inspired animation. We don't even know if they will use the studio in California, the studio in Japan or both.

Looks like CR are going to a different path than Netflix, because now Netflix relies more on Japanese talents and studios for their originals.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This looks cute. I hope this is successful.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
This certainly looks cute.
It sounds like a typical anime to me but hopefully this will pave the way for anime-style American adult animation that caters to more mature tastes than most Japanese-made anime does.
An American industry that could satisfy my addiction for anime visuals while also providing content not provided frequently enough by Japan would really be ideal.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the reason for Crunchyroll making American productions which will than be competing with anime for money. I subscribe to Crunchyroll specifically because I want to watch anime. I have no interest in paying for American kids shows especially since there are already plenty of them on TV.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
this looks like something right out of a highschool animation classroom
(i would know because i was in one)

you're telling me this is the art level of a college graduate? yikes
even teenagers on tumblr draw better than this

absolute garbage
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I don't see the reason for Crunchyroll making American productions which will than be competing with anime for money. I subscribe to Crunchyroll specifically because I want to watch anime. I have no interest in paying for American kids shows especially since there are already plenty of them on TV.
I assume you are aware Crunchyroll streams RWBY which is American made. They also partner with VRV which heavily streams American animation.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I shouldn't throw cold water on this because of one show that's not in my wheelhouse.

But I'll admit I'm concerned. It looks like Crunchyroll may have stopped going to conventions (they were utterly absent at Otakon), and if they are instead putting those resources into yet another attempt to make "anime, but American-style" happen, I'm not going to consider it a particularly good use of my premium subscription dollars. I watch anime to get away from American storytelling conventions and themes; if I wanted American-written TV, I already have hundreds of channels and streaming services to provide that.

My fear is that this is AT&T's expansion play to make Crunchyroll more palatable to the normals. And as a DirecTV viewer, I can say that AT&T doesn't have a great track record for original programming.

Last edited by invalidname on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

My fear is that this is AT&T's expansion play to make Crunchyroll more palatable to the normals. And as a DirecTV viewer, I can say that AT&T doesn't have a great track record for original programming.

Considering this show is far enough along to have finalized character designs and is scheduled to come out next year, I doubt this has anything to do with AT&T's recent acquisitions. As stated in the article, CR's been involved in original productions since 2015 to some degree or another, and have been on the production committee of numerous anime series over the last couple years as well.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Considering this show is far enough along to have finalized character designs and is scheduled to come out next year, I doubt this has anything to do with AT&T's recent acquisitions.

It's not recent. AT&T has co-owned Crunchyroll parent Otter Media since forming it as a joint venture with Chernin Group in 2014. What's new in the last month or so is AT&T buying out Chernin Group's share to own Otter Media outright.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this will really lead to watch-worthy anime-inspired animation (even though I'm a Crunchyroll subscriber). If possible, I would really like to see another animated series like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Personally, when I watch English-dubbed versions of anime comedies, the writers make some pretty funny lines of dialogue for the actors/actresses to read and play out. Why can't writers for American anime dub companies contribute to original anime-inspired animation?

Last edited by CANimeFan88 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Looks neat. I hope this paves the way to more new crunchy original.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7