• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - We Just Klecked

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I worry that this current one won't reach the season 2 dub. Will they do a separate kickstarter for season 2?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I worry that this current one won't reach the season 2 dub. Will they do a separate kickstarter for season 2?

Practically speaking, at this point I think they might have to do a separate KS for the 2nd season. If the campaign to is to exceed $180K, promos by popular YT channels like ProZD would be a way to help spread more awareness. I did tweet the link to him about 3 days ago.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
While I've been collecting blu-rays for a few years, most of my friends never did. Once Fullmetal Alchemist (a show most people in the US have associated with Funimation for a long time) went out of print and stopped being available, most of them started buying anime blu rays.

Also, I totally feel you on the lack of Netflix exclusives on blu-ray. I want Devilman Crybaby on my shelf so badly. But Fate/Apocrypha just got announced for a blu-ray release, so I'm going to continue to hold out hope.

Really excited about the Emma release. I actually did own the dvds, but I think an english dub is perfect for the show, and I wasn't disappointed with how Nozomi handled Aria.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
People are getting too impatient with the Emma kickstarter and the prospect of getting the 2 seasons dubbed. Once the initial $110k goal is reached there will be a big bump that will propel the campaign to $180k.

I will be very surprised if Devilman Crybaby is not released on R1 disc. I am sure Sentai and Funimation would love to release it, and Netflix does not seem opposed to having their anime stuff physically released.

And I am curious about what struggling anime kickstarters is Zac referring to. Haven't all past anime kickstarter projects been fully funded?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
People are getting too impatient with the Emma kickstarter and the prospect of getting the 2 seasons dubbed. Once the initial $110k goal is reached there will be a big bump that will propel the campaign to $180k.

There's usually a last minute surge too (Aria had a particularly huge one IIRC). I would be really surprised if it didn't make the $180k goal.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And I am curious about what struggling anime kickstarters is Zac referring to. Haven't all past anime kickstarter projects been fully funded?

Robotech Academy was a failure - didn't even make it halfway.

Digital Manga's Kickstarters haven't failed, but the company as a whole is certainly struggling and a lot of backers are upset with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Higher tiers were boring to me (mass produced rilezu do not impress me). They would bring in more money if they could get some original shikishi tiers.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the amount of premium and collector's edition being pumped out by both Funimation and Sentai, the market definitely seems to swing into the higher margin direction to make up for maybe less volume. But even without those editions, just the regular editions will give you the bluray/dvd only content you'd miss out on with streaming and of course as mentioned, having it after the streaming license expires.

KitKat1721 wrote:
Also, I totally feel you on the lack of Netflix exclusives on blu-ray. I want Devilman Crybaby on my shelf so badly. But Fate/Apocrypha just got announced for a blu-ray release, so I'm going to continue to hold out hope.

I haven't seen any anime on Netflix that precluded a home video release. Just like Fate/Apocrypha, Devilman Crybaby is an Aniplex production and Aniplex just released the Japanese box-set about 4 months ago on May 30. The Japanese licensors usually require a good delay between the overseas release. Fate/Apocrypha was released in Japan on March 28, 2018. Aniplex announced its US release in 2 sets for November and February 2019. Going by that pattern, I'm sure we'll hear about a US Bluray release from Anplex for Devilman Crybaby maybe by the end of the year. 4 months is still too close to the Japanese release.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

configspace wrote:
I haven't seen any anime on Netflix that precluded a home video release. Just like Fate/Apocrypha, Devilman Crybaby is an Aniplex production and Aniplex just released the Japanese box-set about 4 months ago on May 30. The Japanese licensors usually require a good delay between the overseas release. Fate/Apocrypha was released in Japan on March 28, 2018. Aniplex announced its US release in 2 sets for November and February 2019. Going by that pattern, I'm sure we'll hear about a US Bluray release from Anplex for Devilman Crybaby maybe by the end of the year. 4 months is still too close to the Japanese release.

I'm personally not a fan of Aniplex's box set prices for shows (though their movie prices have always been fine with me) but I want this too because I'm a collector of Go Nagai titles (both anime and now manga thanks to Seven Seas) and don't have Netflix but with that said, I'm glad this hasn't been announced for video here yet because this way, I can buy other important stuff that have been announced for this season (like G Gundam's Ultra Edition) and the next so I won't mind waiting until maybe Spring or Summer if a Crybaby release happens.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
I know Netflix does release some of their shows on disks because my one friend who is the most diehard of physical goods "fan" has watched a few of them that way.

I really want to back the Emma Kickstarter. I had been one of the people to be in on the original pre-order campaign for the DVDs and really love the show. A dub would be perfect for this. The timing is just so bad for me right now.

I do agree with Shawne that a dub (with English accents) would open this show up to a whole other audience. I do consider myself a "teaboo" (sees Zac cringes) and yeah Emma would have a big overlap with the BBC/iTV period drama crowd. It still had the hurdle of being animated (since sadly there are many people who just won't want anything animated) but I think once a lot of people see how well researched the show is they could get behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
I have no interest in paying for streaming anything, so the fact that I STILL can't buy Little Witch Academia feels absolutely criminal.

Best of luck with the Kickstarter, Shawne! I wound up going in on Aria despite that not really being my genre cup of tea, and I feel like I'll probably jump in on this too despite it being even less so. (I don't even like tea!)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I do consider myself a "teaboo" (sees Zac cringes)
Anglophile would be a better name, that other word cuts through me like a knife through butter.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Check out our Employee's Gundam cosplay here:

https://www.instagram.com/jocelyn.adair/

She's incredibly talented. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

Yeah.

I'd also like to see Cyborg 009: Call of Justice get one too.

Top Gun wrote:
I have no interest in paying for streaming anything, so the fact that I STILL can't buy Little Witch Academia feels absolutely criminal.

This. We need LWA on blu-ray.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Let's worry about that when we get that far. There are still 17 days remaining. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2