• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Build Divers Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
What a travesty.
Turn A Gundam never got a dub.
Gundam X never got a dub.
V Gundam never got a dub.
ZZ Gundam never got a dub.
A spin-off anime about building MODELS gets a dub.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
What a travesty.

The real travesty is that this series is the worst performing of the Build Fighters line as the ratings per episode were some of the lowest yet. Chances are, this thing won't get another season and if it does get one it'll probably be nothing like this one was. This is just a slap to us western fans' faces at this point. Come to think of it, the first series and second season Try wasn't dubbed period nor were the follow up specials. WTF are they thinking?!
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
What a travesty.

It may be because it's a children's show. Its still disheartening non the less.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
Gundam0084 wrote:
What a travesty.

The real travesty is that this series is the worst performing of the Build Fighters line as the ratings per episode were some of the lowest yet. Chances are, this thing won't get another season and if it does get one it'll probably be nothing like this one was. This is just a slap to us western fans' faces at this point. Come to think of it, the first series and second season Try wasn't dubbed period nor were the follow up specials. WTF are they thinking?!

Actually the first 2 seasons have English dubs. Their Animax dubs.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
Gundam0084 wrote:
What a travesty.

Um? The first season and Try were dubbed, in the Philippines and the dubbed quality is debatable(at least the first season was, haven't seen Try's dub yet), but they were dubbed and are on the DVDs and Blu-Rays by Right Stuff.

Anyway, glad to see Bang Zoom is handling Build Diver's dub and with any luck it might get shown on Toonami.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Welp, didn't expect this, but I'm glad it's happening. Yes, I know, "they chose this one over the others!?". I'm already glad this is happening at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
What a travesty.

It's not a zero-sum game, and we have no idea whether this was a requirement for the show getting licensed (for example, there was a period of time where Sony wouldn't let any Japanese Playstation games be brought over to the US unless they received a dub or were fighting games).
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The original Build Fighters and Try were dubbed in Hong Kong, not the Philippines, at Medi-Lan (now known as BTI Studios Hong Kong). Animax Asia had nothing to do with them either. They haven't aired a Gundam show in over a decade. These dubs (like Age and SD Sangokuden before them) ran on Cartoon Network Philippines and Okto in Singapore. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also aired elsewhere in South East Asia and there just wasn't documentation. They were produced by Bandai Asia in conjunction with Sunrise, which is why they're readily available. AFAIK, Try Island Wars and Battlogue have yet to be dubbed.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
It's good to hear that English dubbing is still a thing for Gundam, but I'm going to have to second the notion of disappointment here. Maybe it's been decided that the Build Fighters spin-off series didn't get as much exposure as they could have, given their casual accessibility and generally positive reception, because none of them had a traditional North American-produced English dub. But that doesn't change the fact that I would very much prefer to hear that Gundam X and Turn-A Gundam are getting dubbed. (And once those two are dubbed, I'd even be interested in a proper English dub for ZZ and Victory--for the sake of the continuing UC timeline, if nothing else).

If Gundam Wing and G-Gundam found a larger audience with an English dub, I have to imagine that Gundam X and Turn-A Gundam would be able to find new audiences, even today. The former is cut from the same cloth as Wing and G, and the latter could grab some fans with its borderline Ghibli-type visuals. Speaking personally, years down the line, I'd return to watch English dubs of series like those versus some newer entries like Iron Blooded Orphans, which received an English dub because it was the newest thing at the time. In a perfect world, it'd all get dubbed, but Gundam, despite its legacy, has been selectively dubbed for a long time.

And then on the other hand, you have the Gundam SEED/SEED Destiny redub, which is happening because of the changes to the HD materials. A fortunate turn of events perhaps for anyone who didn't like some aspects of the original dub, but some of the revised performances might not be what people are looking for and at the end of the day, it's a series that had its time already in the dubbing limelight.

If I were to guess, Build Divers getting a dub is part of an initiative to get younger people into Gundam, and it'll be pitched to kids television networks. (Despite the mecha-based fan service, my impression is that the Build Fighters spin-offs have been successful in getting new and younger people into Gundam in the way that Sunrise/Bandai had hoped AGE might.)
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Build fighters Try had the worst dubs I have ever heard in my life, let's see if this one can top it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
What a travesty.
It's not a case of them dubbing this instead of those titles. This not having a dub would not have meant they would have been dubbed.
-SP- wrote:
Build fighters Try had the worst dubs I have ever heard in my life, let's see if this one can top it.
That was one of those south Asian, or something like that, and they are always bad. This is from an LA studio.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I guess my personal disappointment is that they didn't go with Bang Zoom for the dubs of the previous two Build Fighters entries.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Other than the fact the Bandai USA studios that used to license Gundam closed up shop sometime in 2013, what rights-issues might explain why we have fewer Eng. dubs of Gundam? For the sake of this, I am not counting the re-dub of "Gundam Seed".
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means a BD release from RightStuf. I need my Riku, Do-ji, and Yuki.

and my gAge got love.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Other than the fact the Bandai USA studios that used to license Gundam closed up shop sometime in 2013, what rights-issues might explain why we have fewer Eng. dubs of Gundam? For the sake of this, I am not counting the re-dub of "Gundam Seed".

There are no rights issues. The reason Gundam's dub history is so scattershot is because the franchise only started getting them produced in the mid/late '90s. By then, there already was a tonne of content, so Bandai Entertainment and Sunrise were selective with regards to what came over. Priority was given to the newest shows that did well in Japan, as well as U.C. since it's the originating timeline.

If Zeta and '79 had been big hits, ZZ and Victory almost certainly would've been dubbed shortly after (ZZ has a Hong Kong-produced English dub, which actually did air on Animax Asia, but Sunrise has barred it from being re-released, presumably due to quality concerns). '79 had a notoriously poor showing on US TV, which hurt the overall franchise in North America. X was the big flop in Japan that no one wanted to touch. Turn A should've been the show that aired on TV after G instead of '79, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. SEED got dubbed because it was a gigantic success in Japan and from that point onward they pretty much stopped looking back.

These newer Hong Kong dubs were produced to spur Gunpla sales in SEA. Previously, Bandai Asia would just release the dubs Ocean and Blue Water produced for North America, but since Bandai Entertainment was on its way out and wasn't ever likely to dub the then newest show, Age (it was a big flop in Japan and likely wasn't the kind of thing that would've done well in North America), they funded their own. These were mainly created in the lull period between the closure of BEI and the start of Sunrise working on Gundam in NA themselves. Now, the remaining main TV series that haven't been dubbed are likely seen as just too old to be commercially viable. Turn A, the most appealing of that bunch, turns 20 next year. Few shows that age get dubbed nowadays. The youngest is G-Reco, but that's likely been skipped because they don't believe it would sell since the show's a wreck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2