• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Comic-Con 2018 Interview: Tony Valente, Creator of Radiant

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting and... weird/silly/very Western... that he talks about this series and the other series as, "This one is manga, and that one is a French comic," when both of them are written by him.

How do you... even do that? How do you think like that? How do you write something and make it conform to what you perceive as one country's style, instead of drawing from a variety of influences from all over the world?

(If the French comics... "industry"/"scene"/pick your word... is that bound to one style, then no wonder they don't make as much/export as much as Japan.)

I just sat reading three different BL manga - all Japanese - that were very different from each other, and even more different from most Shonen Jump manga, and like... I doubt any of those artists would think of something that inspires them from a movie that was American or French or Chinese or Indian, but then think, "No, I can't put that in my manga, because that's not how we do it here in Japan. If I put that French influence in my comic then it wouldn't be manga." They don't have those limits, and that's what makes their work interesting.

His attitude reminds me of Square Enix trying to get into the idol genre with Idol Fantasy and just making a bunch of generic EnStars ripoff groups and throwing them into a generic isekai... while other series are creating genuinely interesting fantasy stories with idols by drawing influences from all over the place...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
Maybe I’ll finally stop confusing him with the Tony Valente that fought in K-1 with a Bruce Lee jumpsuit.
Batora07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
I find it interesting and... weird/silly/very Western... that he talks about this series and the other series as, "This one is manga, and that one is a French comic," when both of them are written by him.

How do you... even do that? How do you think like that? How do you write something and make it conform to what you perceive as one country's style, instead of drawing from a variety of influences from all over the world?

(If the French comics... "industry"/"scene"/pick your word... is that bound to one style, then no wonder they don't make as much/export as much as Japan.)

I just sat reading three different BL manga - all Japanese - that were very different from each other, and even more different from most Shonen Jump manga, and like... I doubt any of those artists would think of something that inspires them from a movie that was American or French or Chinese or Indian, but then think, "No, I can't put that in my manga, because that's not how we do it here in Japan. If I put that French influence in my comic then it wouldn't be manga." They don't have those limits, and that's what makes their work interesting.

His attitude reminds me of Square Enix trying to get into the idol genre with Idol Fantasy and just making a bunch of generic EnStars ripoff groups and throwing them into a generic isekai... while other series are creating genuinely interesting fantasy stories with idols by drawing influences from all over the place...

When he compared Radiant to his previous works that was because he now follows strict manga rules to conform to the medium not to conform to japanese society. He does a great amount of toning, thinking how to place his panels so that it could be read the most efficient way when reading from right to left and with more action scenes than his previous works had.

Previously his works were full colored in 46 pages books, that were read from left to right. Also like he said it's not because he now make mangas that he don't put a heavy european influence into his work, the humour in Radiant (manga) is way different than most of other mangas, that's why most of the fans are sad with some changes made by the anime, because it's now more a story watered down to be showned to kids than it was on the source material.
Kdom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I think you misunderstood the point completely.
It's not about French vs Japanese but Manga vs French Comics.
Your 3 boys love may have different subjects but they are still 3 mangas. Black and White comics with a around 200 hundreds page amoung some others characteristics.
What Tony Valente said is that the manga format was more adapted to the story he wanted to tell than the classic French comics.
If you read Dreamland which he talks about, you cannot not make more French than that. The hero lives in Montpellier. He prepares for the baccalaureat exams. They party like French student do. They fell in love like French students do. And yet it is still a manga because it has all the characteristics of the medium.
Radiant is more easy to transpose to a Japanese audience since it resemble traditional shonen more
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1