• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maiden Japan Cancels SD Space Runaway Ideon Blu-ray, Plans HD Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I watched both the Ideon show and Be Invoked, and for some reason thought of the work as a whole as Battlestar Galactica with an apocalyptic ending. I bet a lot of Ideon fans were shocked when Be Invoked ended the way it did back in the '80s. I know for a fact that a lot of Marvel fans - and even even the actor who played Thanos, Josh Brolin - were stunned when Avengers: Infinity War spoiler[ended in the same vein as Ideon].
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
A DVD release, then? Even if so, such an offering would still be far beyond what we might have expected a few years back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Wohoo! Great news!
loveliver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
A DVD release, then? Even if so, such an offering would still be far beyond what we might have expected a few years back.

Read the article.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why they went with High Definition, instead of DVD. Unless they mean this is going to be a online download only.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know why they went with High Definition, instead of DVD. Unless they mean this is going to be a online download only.

They've obtained the HD masters that were used on the Japanese BDs. They're going to do 1080p BDs now instead of the standard definition BD set that was initially scheduled.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess they did listen to fans' complaints.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I was initially very hesitant on buying this one because of it being in SD, but now I have no doubts anymore ^^ Will be getting this!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
It was bizarre that they'd do SD on BD when the remastered Blu-rays had already been out in Japan for years, so I still wonder how that nearly happened to begin with (I was worried maybe they weren't being allowed to use those materials or something). So yeah, it's great news we're getting the real thing the first time around.

Last edited by Kicksville on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I was really disappointed that they were going to only release this on SD Blu-ray but being a huge Ideon fan I was still going to buy it. Now I feel no disappointment at all. This is going to be glorious.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
OK, now I'm buying it. As much as I love Ideon, I wasn't willing to support an SD release knowing there are HD masters for the TV series and both movies.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

They've obtained the HD masters that were used on the Japanese BDs. They're going to do 1080p BDs now instead of the standard definition BD set that was initially scheduled.

I'm glad they did this!

It makes NO SENSE to do DVD or SD on BD releases when hi-def masters exist for shows.

Yes, some of them really WON'T benefit from an HD upgrade BUT if they were shot in the 1980s (when the average production value was higher than the 1970s) AND the shows are in decent shape or were restored, then a BD release makes more sense now!

BD is the standard now...

I don't buy DVD in Region 1/A unless there's no alternative. Yes, the pricing on some Blu ray sets are STILL too high but generally speaking the difference isn't that much for most single discs -- usually $5 at most and there's no reason to get the DVD in that case.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to wait for a review of this, but seeing as a number of people were unhappy with it being only SD when an HD release had been out in Japan, it's great to see this change happening Smile

I'm surprised this wasn't in the article, but from the solicitations thread:

WTK wrote:
via PR...
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Explore the Andromeda Galaxy in the High Definition Release of "Space Runaway Ideon"

HOUSTON TX, October 23, 2018 - Maiden Japan announced today that it will now release the Space Runaway Ideon Complete Collection in high definition and has canceled the standard edition pre-orders. Fans who have already pre-ordered the classic space epic will receive a full refund of their purchase.

"After listening to our fans' concerns, we promptly began investigating the possibility of high definition materials," said Matt Greenfield, owner and president of Maiden Japan. "Maiden Japan is always committed to releasing the highest quality product that is currently available to us."

SXION 23 will announce the new release date for Space Runaway Ideon.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"After listening to our fans' concerns, we promptly began investigating the possibility of high definition materials," said Matt Greenfield, owner and president of Maiden Japan. "Maiden Japan is always committed to releasing the highest quality product that is currently available to us."

...did they not know the Blu-rays existed or something...?

I mean, all's well that ends well, either way.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Great call. I guessed that this was why I got the cancellation notice, but didn't remember to look up the news until now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1