• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Wrap: Castlevania's Adi Shankar in Talks for The Legend of Zelda TV Show

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Man. why don't japanese anime studios just adapt this stuff? Theres alot of japanese videogames that get anime adaptations. Dozens if not hundreds.

{Edit}: I removed your little slur. Don't make anymore moving forward. ~ Psycho 101
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote
I hope if it is a zelda series, that it would be as good as the hero of time movie.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
Ganondorf as a tragic villain who we, the audience will feel so very bad for when Link kills him all but confirmed then.
XSp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote
I'd wait for an official Nintendo announcement before trusting this one guys... just so you know:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankar
He isn't a reliable source, and he hasn't actually confirmed anything, and neither did Nintendo. Just vague talk to generate hype. Could be true, but I'm just saying.

Then again, I don't think I'd care either way... I love the games, but I just cannot see how it'd ever become a good TV animated series. I might be wrong, but honestly, I'm not even interested in watching. Just so people know, there already is an animated Zelda series that was aired in between Mario Bros episodes in the late 80s. It is horrible. You don't wanna watch it. Link is basically a lazy bum asshole that keeps drooling and trying to sneak into princess Zelda's pants.You know the EXCUUUSE ME PRINCESS meme? It comes from that piece of 80s junk.
It'd be just better for the entire franchise if Nintendo took a lesson from the early cartoons and just left their IPs alone without animated series adaptations.

Also, I have to say that if Nintendo ever thought of risking this once again, I just can't imagine why they wouldn't work with a japanese studio adapting some of the stories of existing Legend of Zelda mangas. Specially now that Nintendo seems to be so controlling and protective of their IPs, perhaps back in the 80s when they almost sold license wholesale for cartoons, live action movies, and those CDi games.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote
Honestly I'm getting pretty tired of people complaining that Castlevania (and potentially this project) is not "anime". It sure as hell feels a million times more "anime" to me that any given moe/otaku crap that gets accepted everywhere just because it's japanese. I mean, I just finished Castlevania season 2 and it puts to shame any given dark fantasy series I've seen this decade, yet a ton of anime fans refuse to even give it a chance because "it's not japanese".... I... just don't get it
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
Donhumberto, I'm with you. The dude did great work on Castlevania for Netflix. Get Hollywood on it! I'm all for good entertainment. I still wouldnt call it anime, but it doeant matter. It's language. Means different things to different people. In Japan all animation is called anime mostly(?)
Xe4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
Well, given how good Castlevania was/is I'm more inclined to think it'll be good than I did before. Gonna be difficult though, Zelda is a more difficult adaptation than Castlevania. Gonna wait until its officially announced (or not) to say more.
donhumberto wrote:
Honestly I'm getting pretty tired of people complaining that Castlevania (and potentially this project) is not "anime". It sure as hell feels a million times more "anime" to me that any given moe/otaku crap that gets accepted everywhere just because it's japanese. I mean, I just finished Castlevania season 2 and it puts to shame any given dark fantasy series I've seen this decade, yet a ton of anime fans refuse to even give it a chance because "it's not japanese".... I... just don't get it

Yep. At the end of the day it's just a damn good animated show, so I hardly care if it's "anime" or not. Call it what you will.

Last edited by Xe4 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
^^^Glad to see I'm not alone here Wink
Funny thing is, I'm seeing a really positive response to Castlevania in a lot of Live Action sites I usually visit, yet in most anime sites people keep whining and going all "this ain't no anime"... at the end of the day, is just as you guys said: it's just really good animation so who cares where it was made
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
Depends on the staff. The reason Castlevania succeeds is because they have one of the best comic writers of all time working on it. I trust Shankar as a producer, but I'm gonna wait and see what he pulls together.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:39 am; edited 4 times in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
If this TV show becomes a reality, Nintendo should really think about making this available for Switch Online members. Or just make it a Hulu original, since Hulu is available as the Switch’s only streaming service for now.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Considering the good reception that Castlevania got this is great news, I really enjoyed both seasons. If I had to choose a game to adapt, I say Ocarina of Time is a good choice, since it has a kind of origin story vibe to it, but it would be preferable to combine certain certain aspects from different games into one story. My only doubt is what are they going to do with the character of Link, it makes sense for him to be a silent hero in the games, but in a show he is probably going to talk, but at least I don't think they are going to make him act like the 80's cartoon series Link. Also, unlike Castlevania, I think this show should be suitable for all ages, I thinking something like Avatar.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hm -- not that excited about this. Castlevania turned out OK, but it was far from great. Mediocre dialogue (often jarringly out of fit with the atmosphere, and, for some characters, dialogue just seemed to consist of author-insert breakdowns of other characters' motivations, mostly infantilizing them), most of the villains were pretty lame, and the storytelling seemed very tonally confused, I guess because the script-writer was trying so hard to make the vampires sympathetic and cared very little to address the human population at all. Hopefully similar problems aren't present if the same guy handles Zelda.
Kojin66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
While Zelda seems likely, there is another possibility.

Since Shankar already has a partnership with Konami, it is also possible that he could be working on a series based on the Suikoden franchise.

Not only would that fit his slightly darker take on storytelling, but recently, Konami has updated the Suikoden website with new and updated designs.

Thoughts?
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Hm -- not that excited about this. Castlevania turned out OK, but it was far from great. Mediocre dialogue (often jarringly out of fit with the atmosphere, and, for some characters, dialogue just seemed to consist of author-insert breakdowns of other characters' motivations, mostly infantilizing them), most of the villains were pretty lame, and the storytelling seemed very tonally confused, I guess because the script-writer was trying so hard to make the vampires sympathetic and cared very little to address the human population at all. Hopefully similar problems aren't present if the same guy handles Zelda.

100% this. I keep seeing people and even some in this thread saying things along the lines of how Castlevania is better than any anime. So many people online saying stuff like, oh those darn anime fans can't just enjoy it because it's not what they would define as "anime". Well here's my problem, I love animation in general that's both Western and Anime, I have no problem with loving this because it's a Western animation. Why don't I love the series? Simply because I just thought it was "okay", largely for a lot of the reasons "NeverConvex" stated, such as the big tonal problems the series had.

So I hope people can stop going around trying to discredit anyone that had problems with the series or simply didn't like it. At the very least some of us disliked or thought it was okay at best because of legitimate problems the series had, not because "we're deep down the Otaku hole". There are parts of the series and aspects that I genuinely liked, I even wanted to love the Castlevania animation as a whole, but again there are some very big problems with the series that keep me from doing so.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
It would be somewhat baffling if Nintendo goes with an American company to make a Zelda TV series since there are plenty of anime studios that are great at making fantasy shows. I don't really have an issue with Castlevania but I don't see why Nintendo would think that an American company that has made a single vampire show would be a good pick for Zelda.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2