• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Pokémon: Let's Go!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna use this as a training camp for the upcoming core games on the Switch. I haven't played the Pokémon games in a long time.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
^ Have fun with that. I see the Let's Go games as being a taste of what is to come for the next one that would start generation 8 of this franchise.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
After a brief intro in which you receive your main Pokémon -- either Pikachu or, if you chose the correct version of the game, Eevee – you're sent out in the world to document every Pokémon in your Pokedex.

I see what you did there. Wink I picked up the eevee version as well because the eevee have grown on me in recent times given how cute they are.

Quote:
Pokémon Let's Go, on the other hand, cannot be played with a pro controller. Your choices are a single Joy-Con (held vertically, not horizontally as you might expect) or handheld mode. This seems to have to do with the way in which you catch Pokémon.

There is actually a third option which is the pokéball controller. I have not try it out yet, but from what I can remember from a review of this game I think it works similarly to the joy con mode but better (especially when catching pokémon). However there are certain things you are not able to check out such as navigating the menus and selecting teams.

Right now I am playing this game on handheld mode and I like with your case I find it comfortable to play is this way.

Quote:
Experienced players won't need tutorials, but they're not playing this game. Or -- more likely -- they're playing and complaining about how “dumbed down” the experience is. I have no doubt pros will find the game extremely easy.

Speaking as someone who has experience with this franchise, I personally do not have much a problem with this game. So far I am enjoying playing Let’s Go Eevee and the expanded take on the story from the first games as well as the enhance graphics and music. However, I can’t help having this small feeling there is something missing from this game that the version games have. I guess it has to do with the fact that in this game we cannot battle wild Pokémon which has been one of the features of the version games. On one hand it does make the journey go by faster however . . .I guess there was some challenge to weakening wild pokémon first before catching them. I don’t know. To be fair in recent years I would typically try catching a pokemon straight away before weakening it as I find that usually they stay in the pokéball. This seems to happen more commonly in early part of the games though from what I can remember.

Quote:

You'll also want to take the opportunity to pet and feed your Eevee or Pikachu. These sequences are super cute, and keeping your bond with your pocketable partner is important. Additionally, dressing up your trainer and Eevee/Pikachu in matching outfits is way more fun than it should be. If you're the type who is likely to squee over all things adorable, there's plenty to squee over here.

Already on that! I do like this feature of petting and dressing up my eevee. Currently I have it wearing the same outfit as Ayumi (the name of the female avatar known in Japan). By the way nice name for your eevee. Eevelyn has a nice ring to it. Anime smile

It was nice to read a review of this game from the perspective of someone who has not played a Pokémon game. The fact that this game has gotten you interested is a sign that these games are doing what they are attended to do. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I've played all of the games since Yellow, which happened to be my first ever video game at seven years old. To this day, I still play Pokemon games, and I actually am enjoying Let's Go. I do admit I like Fire Red and Leaf Green better, since they have more content and let you catch non-Kanto region Pokemon later on, LGPE is pretty cute to me. I knew it was likely going to be a Pokemon-lite game from the start, so I kept my expectations low, and I think that helped. I like to think of LGPE as a test that Nintendo is doing to show us how future Pokemon games will look on the Switch. For all we know, maybe the games after this one will be super awesome.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Seconding Aquasakura. It's really nice to hear the perspective of someone who hasn't played a Pokemon game before!

I think that this game actually does prepare you more for gyms than previous Pokemon games do, because it won't let you even attempt the gym if you don't meet a certain requirement that would give you an edge (type advantage, level, etc.). But the fact that there's such a difficulty spike in the gym leader battles is a relic of the first generation's difficulty and balance issues. For players of the original Pokemon Red and Blue, Brock was almost unbeatable if you picked Charmander for your starter and didn't level up a Mankey or Butterfree along the way.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to read a review from someone who never played any of the previous entries before. Usually, I would just skip straight to the pros and cons and be done with it but I found myself pleasantly surprised to have read the entire review. Good job with the review.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
As I care more about battling than capturing, I found the whole "no wild battling" thing rather boring, IMO.

I hope they bring it back in Gen 8.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote
As far as i like how Pokemon Let's Go have some of its most amazing colorful and unique 3D graphics superior to the 3DS, i feel like they have some of its unique in such a way.

Also, i love this review, thank you for writing this.

Also, i never grew up playing first Pokemon game because the lack of marketing to the Serbian of an Nintendo games and large preferences of Western game and Digimon games (Digimon is really popular in Serbia and is regarded as "Serbian Pokemon".
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

As I care more about battling than capturing, I found the whole "no wild battling" thing rather boring, IMO.

I hope they bring it back in Gen 8.

They are. This mechanic is meant to be exclusive to the Let's Go games.

Aca Vuksa wrote:
i never grew up playing first Pokemon game because the lack of marketing to the Serbian of an Nintendo games and large preferences of Western game and Digimon games (Digimon is really popular in Serbia and is regarded as "Serbian Pokemon".

Interesting! I wonder with Digimon being the one people in Serbia gravitate to there is a huge bias when it comes to Pokémon. I know where I live some people seem to have a bias towards Digimon (as well as other Monster Collecting games) as they assume they are ripping off of Pokémon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
Long time fan who is really enjoying this. Honestly, I'm past Gym 4 (Erika) and have been doing just fine not catching duplicates (one exception was when I had to get a chain combo going since Squirtle was not spawning at all) and getting EXP solely through trainer battles (which people kinda gloss over, there are LOTS of trainers on any Pokemon game so no wild battles still means there's a ton of battles regardless) and catching Pokemon not yet in my Pokedex.

As such, a few fights have been challenging but nothing too bad and I feel this is such an obvious option for fans complaining about the difficulty (even though I must confess I've never thought Pokemon was THAT difficult). I've seen some people both complain about the easier difficulty and then that they had to spend time capturing to grind and did not enjoy it. But if you're grinding, that would imply the game could be difficult! I'm really baffled.

I am fine with going back to capturing Pokemon the traditional way in the upcoming core Gen 8 game, but for the love of god do not go back to random battles! Seeing the Pokemon on screen brings the world to life to never before, please don't take that away. Rarity is still a thing in this game so that isn't being sacrificed, and being able to avoid wild Pokemon if I want to (and not having to waste time going into the menu to use another repel) improves the pacing of areas like Mt. Moon by quite a bit.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

I am fine with going back to capturing Pokemon the traditional way in the upcoming core Gen 8 game, but for the love of god do not go back to random battles! Seeing the Pokemon on screen brings the world to life to never before, please don't take that away. Rarity is still a thing in this game so that isn't being sacrificed, and being able to avoid wild Pokemon if I want to (and not having to waste time going into the menu to use another repel) improves the pacing of areas like Mt. Moon by quite a bit.

I agree. I think moving forward they should use this feature for the upcoming Pokémon games because not doing so otherwise would be a step backwards. Plus it makes it more convenient for players who are not seeking to battling wild pokémon in the moment
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
i never grew up playing first Pokemon game because the lack of marketing to the Serbian of an Nintendo games and large preferences of Western game and Digimon games (Digimon is really popular in Serbia and is regarded as "Serbian Pokemon".

Interesting! I wonder with Digimon being the one people in Serbia gravitate to there is a huge bias when it comes to Pokémon. I know where I live some people seem to have a bias towards Digimon (as well as other Monster Collecting games) as they assume they are ripping off of Pokémon.[/quote]

Yeah, there are quite some fanart of Digimon on DA, Tumblr, and Twitter, etc. Also, Serbians view Bandai as "Serbian Nintendo". The reason on why Digimon is so popular in Serbia because it got broadcasted in 2001 and was rebroadcasted again on Pink in 2008 with redubbing one.

There was an Pokemon that was dubbed in Serbia too, but only few handful of Pokemon got dubbed in Serbia and the new season of Pokemon anime never get dubbed at all.

In addition to this, a lot of Serbians called Jump Force as "Serbian Super Smash Bros" due to having crossover looking it.

I still wish if Pokemon was more popular in Serbia though, i just don't understand why didn't it make it to my country at all.

And Pokemon aren't never shown in Serbian Video game magazine nor Serbian language-websites, i still love to see Pokemon showed in Serbia.

There are other games that are not popular in Serbia that includes not only Pokemon.

(sorry for my poor English)
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
^ I see. It seems like it must be lonely being a Pokémon fan in a country in which the franchise hardly has an impact on (as well as a fan of Jrpgs for that matter). So Bandai Namco is view as the Nintendo of Serbia. With all of these comparisons people are making I wonder if it's saying something.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Interesting! I wonder with Digimon being the one people in Serbia gravitate to there is a huge bias when it comes to Pokémon. I know where I live some people seem to have a bias towards Digimon (as well as other Monster Collecting games) as they assume they are ripping off of Pokémon.

Yeah, there are quite some fanart of Digimon on DA, Tumblr, and Twitter, etc. Also, Serbians view Bandai as "Serbian Nintendo". The reason on why Digimon is so popular in Serbia because it got broadcasted in 2001 and was rebroadcasted again on Pink in 2008 with redubbing one.

-snip-[/quote]

Are you having a conversation with yourself?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's no doubt in my mind I'll be picking up the new core Pokémon game next year, and I might even dive into the back catalog in the meantime.

I would recommend doing the latter before the former, because the main series games, Let's Go not included, build up on the previous generations. Let's Go simplifies the experience to such an extent that it'll probably feel jarring as to how many new mechanics will get thrown at you left and right from beginning to end, as well as Pokémon after Generation I (though if you've played Pokémon GO recently, this might be less of a problem due to it currently being up to Generation IV).

Then again, maybe not. Little kids get into the Pokémon games all the time, with every generation, and they don't seem to feel overwhelmed.

Aquasakura wrote:
However, I can’t help having this small feeling there is something missing from this game that the version games have. I guess it has to do with the fact that in this game we cannot battle wild Pokémon which has been one of the features of the version games. On one hand it does make the journey go by faster however . . .I guess there was some challenge to weakening wild pokémon first before catching them. I don’t know. To be fair in recent years I would typically try catching a pokemon straight away before weakening it as I find that usually they stay in the pokéball. This seems to happen more commonly in early part of the games though from what I can remember.

It might be the lack of Abilities. This was such a game-changer when it was introduced in Generation III that it definitely feels weird to play without having to account for them. There are some Generation I Pokémon whom you'd face or use totally differently with their Ability than without, like Gyarados with Intimidate or Dugtrio with Arena Trap. They add a layer to Pokémon battling that, as it stands to me nowadays, feels off when they aren't present.

Aquasakura wrote:
It was nice to read a review of this game from the perspective of someone who has not played a Pokémon game. The fact that this game has gotten you interested is a sign that these games are doing what they are attended to do. Anime smile

Same here. I was curious as to see what someone who had no prior experience in Pokémon games might stumble at. It was also interesting to see him (accurately) guess what the experienced players would complain about with this game.

FireChick wrote:
I've played all of the games since Yellow, which happened to be my first ever video game at seven years old. To this day, I still play Pokemon games, and I actually am enjoying Let's Go. I do admit I like Fire Red and Leaf Green better, since they have more content and let you catch non-Kanto region Pokemon later on, LGPE is pretty cute to me. I knew it was likely going to be a Pokemon-lite game from the start, so I kept my expectations low, and I think that helped. I like to think of LGPE as a test that Nintendo is doing to show us how future Pokemon games will look on the Switch. For all we know, maybe the games after this one will be super awesome.

Yeah, I see this game as a great starting point for those who feel that Pokémon games might have become too complicated for them. (That being said, I blame a subset of fans who like to make Pokémon games appear as complicated as possible. It only gets that complicated if you intend to play in official tournaments or want to place at or near the top of Wi-Fi events and such.)

doctordoom85 wrote:
As such, a few fights have been challenging but nothing too bad and I feel this is such an obvious option for fans complaining about the difficulty (even though I must confess I've never thought Pokemon was THAT difficult). I've seen some people both complain about the easier difficulty and then that they had to spend time capturing to grind and did not enjoy it. But if you're grinding, that would imply the game could be difficult! I'm really baffled.

From what I'm seeing, the game scales up the levels as you go through the game, sometimes drastically. (The Saffron City Gym is the biggest example I've seen.) I can see what they're doing here, which is to make a very easy, simple early game, then once they feel you've gotten the hang of it, crank the difficulty up. It's not quite at the level of most of the main series games (though the Unova games, personally, did feel quite on the easy side,possibly even easier than this one in the late-game), but you do have to put some effort into the game to progress after a certain point.

By the way, there is currently a divide among Pokémon fans between having overworld encounters and random encounters. I can see the appeal from both ends.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
From what I'm seeing, the game scales up the levels as you go through the game, sometimes drastically. (The Saffron City Gym is the biggest example I've seen.)

The game seems to assume you'll do Koga before Sabrina, based on the order of the badges in the save screen. Fuchsia's always such a long trek away, though (especially from the Lavender end), so it's generally easier to clear out Silph Co. and do the Saffron gym first.

I'd say this game was pretty easy, but then, all the main game potions of Pokémon games are pretty easy. With grinding, pretty much anything can win the games. This one did take it to another level with how weak some of the trainers are, though; single level 3 Rattata that is invariably going to be one shot by Eevee's Tackle is not exactly a challenge. Still, it was pretty fun, and a nice throwback to Pokémon Yellow. Did feel a little weird having the all the new up to Gen 7 stuff (Fairy/Dark/Steel types, new moves, Special Att/Def split, Special/Physical move split, etc) mixed in with Gen 1 stuff (no abilities, no hold items, only the first 151 (plus Meltan line)). Enjoy Earthquaking Weezing whilst you can!

I do like Pokémon being visible on the overworld. Running into wild Zubats every ten steps is not my idea of fun (and I'm too cheap to "waste" Repels Razz ). Revisiting the everything can follow you around mechanics of Heart Gold/Soul Silver was also nice, and flying along on a Charizard is a lot of fun (though I wish there were an easier way to dismount and head through doorways... am I missing one?). Not having to use up moveslots for HMs is good, and I'm glad they kept the infinitely reusable TMs. Making all the evolution stones repeatable is good too (Moon Stones respawn at Mt. Moon every day), and letting you find extra Master Balls in Cerulean Cave might not exactly mesh with the in game story (I thought there was only one of these?) but is welcome from a gameplay perspective. Being able to find additional copies of Pokémon that are traditionally only able to be found once is nice too (extra legendary birds, Hitmons, Eevees, Fossils, etc). One thing I do miss is the breeding mechanics - I don't think it would have been too hard to add Eggs, would it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2