• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece Voted Most Representative Manga of Heisei Era

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ready

Very Happy

Also, it's interesting that Dragon Ball is counted as Heisei, though I guess its popularity did peak in the Heisei era -- the era division roughly corresponds to the beginning of the Z portion, at least judging from volume release dates.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
According to the Dragon Ball wiki, the first "Heisei" chapter is chapter 210 - "Masters and Students", where Goku arrives at King Kai's planet.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Full Metal Alchemist surprises me, Its a great series but I thought people have already forgotten about that series. Compared to the others, it doesn't come off as ubiquitous.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
stannisbaratheon wrote:
Full Metal Alchemist surprises me, Its a great series but I thought people have already forgotten about that series. Compared to the others, it doesn't come off as ubiquitous.

Well, that was part of reason Brotherhood was made. Most manga which have an anime adaption that deviates from the source material don't get a second chance, but FMA was popular enough and in demand enough to be one that did.

-Stuart Smith
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
One piece has sold over 440 million copies in print.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Given that One Piece may wind up lasting longer than the entire era when all is said and done, that's kind of a given. Very Happy
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:39 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
One piece has sold over 440 million copies in print.

I went with the figures reported in the source article. Other sites may post different figures.
Yasaal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
Always happy to see Gintama on these lists
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
FMA being on this list doesn't make too much sense, it's not really all the popular in Japan unlike in the West, there are much more popular manga.

Edit: Just noticed only the "5,653 users who had purchased at least one manga from Book Live" were the one's who voted.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yay, cool, good for One Piece and Oda. I definitely understand why and agree with that.

Interesting that Chibi Maruko-chan is the only shojo on the list. I definitely get why it's on there, and I'm glad, but I'm surprised that not one other shojo made it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I found One Piece to be one of the weakest popular mangas I ever read. I do not know why but it feels rather bland and the situations the characters find themselves feel rather, how can I put it, contrived, poorly paced and poorly set up. The art style is also very bland, so overall, I do not find it a very good manga.

In terms of better shounen action manga I would think about Claymore, FMA, Gunslinger Girl or even Dragon Ball for a more similar adventurous children's title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:25 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I found One Piece to be one of the weakest popular mangas I ever read. I do not know why but it feels rather bland and the situations the characters find themselves feel rather, how can I put it, contrived, poorly paced and poorly set up. The art style is also very bland, so overall, I do not find it a very good manga.

In terms of better shounen action manga I would think about Claymore, FMA, Gunslinger Girl or even Dragon Ball for a more similar adventurous children's title.

One Piece is bland but not Claymore or Gunslinger Girl?

Yeah, sure. Talk about reaching. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1