• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - UQ Holder!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Brittney Karbowski just can not play a teenage boy, I remember her being the only performance I didn't like in the otherwise amazing Soul Eater dub.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like you actually want to give this a perishable, but not knowing all the Negima lore holds you back from actually making that call, just in case this is actually great for the fanbase it's aimed at.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Frankly I don't see why someone who knows nothing of Negima (not even the famous genre shift) would *want* to review the UQ Holder anime.

Not that I'm defending it, it's definitely bad lol.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub is one of the worst that I've heard on a Sentai release for a while. Everybody sounds particularly checked out, and most of the new voices (Brittney Karbowski as Touta, Kalin Coates as Kuroumaru) are shrill and irritating.

Is it really that bad?

MarshalBanana wrote:
Brittney Karbowski just can not play a teenage boy, I remember her being the only performance I didn't like in the otherwise amazing Soul Eater dub.

I thought she sounded pretty good as Black Star considering the kid was just a brat most of the time.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Frankly I don't see why someone who knows nothing of Negima (not even the famous genre shift) would *want* to review the UQ Holder anime.

Not that I'm defending it, it's definitely bad lol.

Guess it's so someone who never read Negima could come to some form of conclusion as well. The Manga is rather long and the anime is a shit show, so it's not something many will have gone through.

That said, if anyone's on the fence about it, do give Negima a shot. The first 50+ chapters are very...Romcom-esque? But after that it goes full Dragon Ball levels of Shounen. lol Akamatsu really trolled his Editors. From what i heard, they wanted him to create another romcom series to ride on Love Hina's coattails, but Akamatsu didn't wanna do that... so he slowly changed the genre of the manga after a while and by then, the Shounen aspect of it was what made people come back and the Editors were left with no choice but to just let him do whatever he wanted.

Regarding UQ Holder changing to Negima-lite later on, i heard, and take this with a grain of salt, that there were problems with the mag it was getting published in, so it couldn't be a true sequel to Negima...which got fixed after chapter 50-ish i think, where he goes full negima again and even the title changes to "UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2", so yeah, it's a true sequel and not just a spin-off, tho with this taking place on the "sad" timeline, it might as well still be one. lol
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub is one of the worst that I've heard on a Sentai release for a while. Everybody sounds particularly checked out, and most of the new voices (Brittney Karbowski as Touta, Kalin Coates as Kuroumaru) are shrill and irritating.

Yeah, I had a feeling the dub wouldn't be good, just judging from the dub clip Sentai released (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SLRffszx0). I usually don't mind Brittney Karbowski in boy roles (some people like to hate on her performance as Black Star in Soul Eater, but I really liked it), but in that clip, she sounds like she's never played a male character in her life. Geez, Shannon Reed, how do you go from directing this to directing one of the best Sentai Filmworks dubs I've ever heard in Scum's Wish?! Confused
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Just curious but in the mention of Princess Tutu in this week’s new releases, why is Ahiru being referred to as “Duck”? While I realize that that’s what her name means, did the dub just call her Duck instead of Ahiru? If so, that really bothers me. Yes, most Japanese names can be translated into words like “Snow Rabbit” and “green”, but that doesn’t mean I want a dub where the character is called the translation instead of their Japanese name.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
lol Akamatsu really trolled his Editors. From what i heard, they wanted him to create another romcom series to ride on Love Hina's coattails, but Akamatsu didn't wanna do that... so he slowly changed the genre of the manga after a while and by then, the Shounen aspect of it was what made people come back and the Editors were left with no choice but to just let him do whatever he wanted.

I've heard this for like a decade, but never seen a primary source. It seems to just be the accepted wisdom.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Just curious but in the mention of Princess Tutu in this week’s new releases, why is Ahiru being referred to as “Duck”? While I realize that that’s what her name means, did the dub just call her Duck instead of Ahiru? If so, that really bothers me. Yes, most Japanese names can be translated into words like “Snow Rabbit” and “green”, but that doesn’t mean I want a dub where the character is called the translation instead of their Japanese name.

Because Princess Tutu isn't really doing the same thing as those? Because it's not a Japanese setting and none of the characters are supposed to actually have Japanese names? Because "Ahiru" isn't actually a name at all? Because she's called Duck for the reason that she's just literally a duck? Because the show operates on fairy-tale logic? Because even the old fansubs recognized that "Neko" should be translated as "Cat" (even though they wrote "Cat-sensei" instead of "Mr. Cat") and it only makes sense to apply the same rule? Because at least once her name is shown written as "Entchen", making it explicit that "Ahiru" is a translation for the sake of the original Japanese audience along with the rest of the dialogue?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

I don't have this particular new release, though they're probably just re-releasing the same older dub yet again. The ADV dub from '05 did just call her "Duck," but I don't recall if the subs were different.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Are Sentai releases region free? Very tempted by Princess Tutu.
And yes Duck is her name. She's not named after ducks, she is literally named duck. It's the logic of the series.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

Yeah, I had a feeling the dub wouldn't be good, just judging from the dub clip Sentai released (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SLRffszx0). Confused

Wow, she's really good. It's "Yukihime" I have problems with.
YT comment: "BK is very good but she's not what I pictured." Sounds about right...
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hooray, Princess Tutu! I adore the series, but having "D" right next to "F" on the English keyboard always makes talking about how much I love this show so awkward if I don't spellcheck myself as I go...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Hooray, Princess Tutu! I adore the series, but having "D" right next to "F" on the English keyboard always makes talking about how much I love this show so awkward if I don't spellcheck myself as I go...

Try being a shipper trying to combine her name with Fakir's.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
And yes Duck is her name. She's not named after ducks, she is literally named duck. It's the logic of the series.

I've seen it, but I won't buy it now that they've decided to call her Duck. If they had kept Ahiru, I would have bought it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
In nearly 16 years of watching anime and almost as much time reading manga, UQ Holder! marked the first time where I'd read the relevant manga chapters before watching the anime. So from what I'd heard about how much the anime covered, I was expecting a messy rushjob, and that's pretty much what I got. I feel JC Staff did about the best they could, and some of the cuts were judicious and merciful. Like some pared-down training arcs, and the elimination of one character and his lengthy introduction saga. Let's be honest, manga readers: spoiler[after awhile, Santa is just "sort of there," not really contributing very much.] And unlike the 2005 Negima! series that subtracted it out, UQ Holder! actually adds fanservice that wasn't in the manga, like one Kirië pantyshot somewhere around eps 8-10.

But yeah, even more so than with Negima!, reading the manga afterwards or instead of the anime is probably your best bet. I do wonder if this BD release corrects any of the translation errors from the HiDive streaming subs, though.

Cutiebunny wrote:
IanC wrote:

I've seen it, but I won't buy it now that they've decided to call her Duck. If they had kept Ahiru, I would have bought it.
This isn't a new decision by any means. ADV's releases, whose translations were fully approved by the relevant parties, have been calling her Duck in both dub and sub versions since the original releases back in 2005. It's a European fairytale setting; there's nothing Japanese about it. It's a world of difference from rendering an obviously-Japanese character named Tsubaki as Camellia or whatever. You seem to think the fansubbers (or the DVD-rip group that did a half-assed Find+Replace job with the R1 subs) knew better, but the former would actually agree with ADV/Sentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2