• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Adds Episode Download Feature to iOS/Android Apps

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear it.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I've long thought that anime needs to have a "steam" equivalent with how rampant torrents are. This is a good step toward that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
I've long thought that anime needs to have a "steam" equivalent with how rampant torrents are. This is a good step toward that.
I would say the exact opposite; torrent sites don't have anywhere near the community engagement or the numbers that they did 10 or even 5 years ago. The vast majority of the pirating population has moved on to bootleg streaming sites. "Archive-worthy" Blu-Ray rips get less than 1/10 the downloads as the TV/stream-rips, which tells me that most anime viewers aren't looking to build digital collections anymore.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I had been watching Funimation content offline with my CR subscription in the VRV app; the loss of that ability when the CR deal ended was my major lament (while gaining it for HiDive was a plus). Now everything is great... here in the US.

I hope CR soon makes this possible for subscribers where VRV isn't available, which last I checked was anywhere outside the US.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
Just to make it clear, among the series that aren't part of the download list including all of the Dragon Ball series, One Piece, or the new season of Fairy Tail (all the past seasons are included). Other stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho or all the Tenchi Muyo stuff are available.

Just wanted to note the examples of what and what is not is available.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote
This is perfect timing for me since I just signed up for a Funimation account but I haven't tried out the mobile app yet.
Iggdrasil
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
I'm going to assume this step was taken to ensure their products could be enjoyed on mobile devices without random buffering during transportation. I guess most people will watch during transport which could lead them through tunnels or wifi dead zones where they would lose the stream.

I take it as a good step towards the future for anime (manga already use digital distribution with success), however, unless anime digital distribution (excluding streaming) takes off in Japan there won't be any digital distribution like with games and manga.
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
Just to make it clear, among the series that aren't part of the download list ... the new season of Fairy Tail (all the past seasons are included).

This limitation seems to apply for all current simulcasts. Neither Goblin Slayer nor That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime are available for download. The current season of Index is not available for download, but the other seasons and the movie are.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Slime via offline download in VRV, and I haven't watched them but Goblin Slayer, Index III, and Fairy Tail Final Season seem to be downloadable in VRV as well. Meaning the restriction on simulcasts is a decision Funimation made, not anything to do with the licenses...?

Iggdrasil wrote:
I'm going to assume this step was taken to ensure their products could be enjoyed on mobile devices without random buffering during transportation. I guess most people will watch during transport which could lead them through tunnels or wifi dead zones where they would lose the stream.

I don't buy much mobile data because I don't really need it - I've used less than 100 Mb this year (and I'm not going to buy it just for anime). The wifi at work is unreliable, and I also like to watch outside where there's no wifi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1