• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Makes Zombie Land Saga Special

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd be all for a season 2. I need more of the Legendary Tae.
zenbud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
"Whoever it was at Cygames that convinced the executives to drop some of their endless gacha money on this show, bless them"

I really dislike how people have been giving that much of credit for Cygames for this series but ignoring Avex Pictures on this equation when even the announcement is for "Avex Pictures x Cygames x Mappa". Besides, Avex is the company with more funding on the project so those comments about Cygames quite sour me considering that Avex did more on the anime.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
zenbud wrote:
"Whoever it was at Cygames that convinced the executives to drop some of their endless gacha money on this show, bless them"

I really dislike how people have been giving that much of credit for Cygames for this series but ignoring Avex Pictures on this equation when even the announcement is for "Avex Pictures x Cygames x Mappa". Besides, Avex is the company with more funding on the project so those comments about Cygames quite sour me considering that Avex did more on the anime.

Avex Pictures is a music studio, not an anime studio. Avex, presumably, were in charge of creating the music and songs. The obvious answer is multiple parties are responsible for the show, but saying Cygames are the creators of the franchise isn't really wrong either, as they came up with the concept and characters.

-Stuart Smith
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this half way through.

I enjoyed it at first but the longer it went on it was not as good for me, I found it boring and just lost interest.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm normally a fan of subtle storytelling, but there's something to be said for just having Mamoru Miyano yell the message at the audience.

...Or Ricco Fajardo.

Man, not enough people know how amazing Ricco is as Kotaro. Mamoru is obviously great in the role, but in my opinion, Ricco Fajardo is a bit more varied with his comedic delivery than Miyano is, and has me laughing out loud more often as a result, especially in the more recent dubbed episodes that have come out. Really, Zombie Land Saga's English dub as a whole has been great so far, but since the songs aren't being dubbed yet, not a lot of people are even aware of its existence, which is kind of a shame.

But I know this article is about the show itself and not the dub, so feel free to ignore me, ha ha Razz In any case, I agree with you guys!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:
I'm normally a fan of subtle storytelling, but there's something to be said for just having Mamoru Miyano yell the message at the audience.

...Or Ricco Fajardo.

Man, not enough people know how amazing Ricco is as Kotaro. Mamoru is obviously great in the role, but in my opinion, Ricco Fajardo is a bit more varied with his comedic delivery than Miyano is, and has me laughing out loud more often as a result, especially in the more recent dubbed episodes that have come out. Really, Zombie Land Saga's English dub as a whole has been great so far, but since the songs aren't being dubbed yet, not a lot of people are even aware of its existence, which is kind of a shame.

But I know this article is about the show itself and not the dub, so feel free to ignore me, ha ha Razz In any case, I agree with you guys!

I'm enjoying the dub. Looking at the cast list, it seems like Funi will at least try to get permission to dub the music since it has actors with musical backgrounds. The same approach was taken with Show By Rock where the casting was made with the intent to come back to the songs. Based on the commentary from Show By Rock, Dawn Bennett has perfect pitch, so I find it amusing that she ended up cast as Tae.
zenbud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
zenbud wrote:

Avex Pictures is a music studio, not an anime studio. Avex, presumably, were in charge of creating the music and songs. The obvious answer is multiple parties are responsible for the show, but saying Cygames are the creators of the franchise isn't really wrong either, as they came up with the concept and characters.

-Stuart Smith

I do know what Avex Pictures is as a distribution and production company, but I also know that they had more funding on the project than Cygames which is a mobile company. Also, Cygames didn't came with the characters and concept afaik, that was Mappa.

To be clear, I didn't meant to say that Cygames isn't responsible since they're the second company with more funding on this project but that giving credit to them when other company had more funding than them is quite wrong, which many people do.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

...Or Ricco Fajardo.

YES- someone else who also enjoys Ricco’s performance as Kotaro! Honestly his delivery with the character is just amazing, down to to over the top lines and weird sounds. My fave part was when Kotaro is rushing the girls to get in the van and it’s just him yelling “GO GO GO GO!!!”. I don’t think I’ve heard him do such an energetic character since Mirio, albeit Kotaro is waaaaay more aggressive.

I’m really hoping they dub the songs in the home release since most of the VAs have amazing singing talent (Brina Palencia, Bryn Appril, and Amanda Lee) and it would be a waste not to. Especially the rapping number.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No doubt in my mind, her episode was Zombie Land Saga's best.

Her episode had moe, but it really didn't change her character in any way, unlike other episodes with other characters. The weekly reviews called her "one of the show's less essential characters" (and other things) until her episode, and she behaved exactly the same before and after it, and was treated the same. Someone who watched the show and missed her episode wouldn't notice a thing, something that can't be said for Ai, or Junko, or Saki, all of whom visibly grew and changed as a result of their episodes.

Granted, there's a nice message there about how her being trans doesn't change anything about her or about how people treat her, and that was certainly true in the show. (Not true of some reviewers and fandom, though, who suddenly found every mannerism of hers precious, where previously she was annoying or pointless.)

It's a nice episode and a nice message. She's still a useless, less essential character, though, who probably adds the least to the show outside of the one episode.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
zenbud wrote:
To be clear, I didn't meant to say that Cygames isn't responsible since they're the second company with more funding on this project but that giving credit to them when other company had more funding than them is quite wrong, which many people do.

I suppose I'm not really understanding why the company who provides most of the funding is automatically the one in charge of most of the creative work. Given it's an idol series which focuses on music, I'm not too surprised the music production company has the biggest investment.

John Thacker wrote:
It's a nice episode and a nice message. She's still a useless, less essential character, though, who probably adds the least to the show outside of the one episode.

The "Lily phenomenon" is very much a western thing, if it even exists at all and isn't just a vocal minority of people championing the character. She ranks as the 3rd least popular character in Japan, ahead of Tae and Yugiri, which isn't surprising given their lack of focus in the show. Ai and Junko are the most popular and have received all the attention in the fandom.

Its probably worth mentioning the character isn't even referred to as transgendered in Japan. Even in interviews with the staff/seiyuu they described Lily as "actually a boy!" and similar descriptors. It's something only westerners really latch onto when it comes to these kinds of anime characters, for whatever reason.

-Stuart Smith
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
The English translation of the Lily episode is a perfectly accurate translation of the Japanese, as been confirmed by multiple people, and the episode makes it VERY clear she is trans, so let's not start with the conspiracy theories please.

Good job proving the article's point though.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
I thought Lily was the least interesting character as well...until her focus episode. After that she was one of my favorites. I mean, I think my "favorite" character is a 5-way tie between Lily (daughteroo), Junko (dat voice), Saki (!?!), Kotaro (go. gogogo. go.) and Tae (legendary etc.), so really I just loved them all. (In case you want to know, my least favorite character is mopey!Sakura. Regular dead Sakura is just fine.)

I'd watch the crap out of season 2. I spent half of Christmas trying to find a way to legitimately buy the OST for the show. Shut up and take my money, Cygames.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
She ranks as the 3rd least popular character in Japan, ahead of Tae and Yugiri, which isn't surprising given their lack of focus in the show. Ai and Junko are the most popular and have received all the attention in the fandom.

Can I have the link for the popularity survey? Thanks.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Its probably worth mentioning the character isn't even referred to as transgendered in Japan. Even in interviews with the staff/seiyuu they described Lily as "actually a boy!" and similar descriptors. It's something only westerners really latch onto when it comes to these kinds of anime characters, for whatever reason.

-Stuart Smith

Yea give us links where they say this because if you’re going to be claiming these things back it up with proof or your just speaking out of your ass. Also this isn’t something only westerners latch onto this is a global thing of representation it’s not for whatever reason If you don’t understand that then you’re part of the problem in this world.
HameruIsCool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most Idol anime operate similar to pro wrestling; there's a sense that the creators and the fans both know the image of Idolism (idolatry?) is fake, but you maintain kayfabe to keep things entertaining

Kayfabe should only go so far. I don't know much about wrestling, but I highly doubt that their stars get fired for dating someone or somehow implying that they're slightly less than pure, innocent jailbait virgins who take bikini photo shoots.

Say what you will about Gokudolls' crassness, but at least they're even more honest about the idol industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2